A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 73144 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: February 11, 2014 07:14:59 AM »

Congrats on completing your OWL noodle-bug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
coulsenl
« Reply #681 on: February 11, 2014 08:45:57 AM »

Mistress Jennie, I love the fabric for your quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladychris2010
« Reply #682 on: February 11, 2014 09:17:21 AM »

@noodle-bug: Oh my goodness, I'd never known about a version of Pinocchio where he kills Jiminy Cricket. I only knew the Disney version.

I always laugh though at how some people are mad that Disney wasn't historically accurate with their version of Hercules. Every time I see someone commenting about that somewhere I'm automatically thinking, "Oh so you would prefer Disney to show little kids that even the mighty God Zeus cheated on his wife and that Hera actually hated Hercules because of that. Last I checked kids will eventually learn that truth when they're older (preferably high school at the earliest) when their English teacher covers mythology." That's when I learned that truth and as a parent myself now I am clearly happy that Disney's version doesn't have that awfulness. As far as I'm concerned, if people want to see a more historically accurate version of Hercules, they can just watch Hercules: the legendary journey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Started a craftalong for Sailor Moon fans. Come join in!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430909.msg5147318#msg5147318
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #683 on: February 11, 2014 09:42:23 AM »

Yhea, that version of pinochio is the original story. Like a lot  of what we think of as fairy tales, it wasn't actually written with children in mind. Hans Christian Anderson is particularly un-child friendly! Often the collections of his stories sold for kids are 'retellings', if you find a copy of the classics they make pretty grim reading!
I never minded Disney changing the stories - they are stories, everyone who tells them or translates them from book to film to painting to music to stage will interpret them differently. I did think they should have been more careful with pocahontas though,.since that is actual real history,, a real persons life - so wholesale changing it is rather more confusing (and disrespectful) for kids and grown ups alike!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014 09:43:54 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
jenleahlynn
« Reply #684 on: February 11, 2014 10:48:51 AM »

class-astronomy
house-gryffendor
project- cinderella chandelier

my daughter wanted a chandelier for her bedroom. the sparkle of ice crystals on europa inspired this elegant decoration. the beaded trim reminds me of icicles. there is already a recessed can light in the ceiling above her bed, so we didn't need to add wiring. this is hanging directly below it from ribbons to catch the light.

it started as a lamp shade with a great shape. we pealed the fabric off, and wrapped it in strings of pearls, and beaded trim with white satin ribbon. the large crystals are christmas decorations. hung from the bottom with wire

i finished it just in time for the new year/new purpose challenge. her sisters want one as well, but with more color
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

harry potter craft along- winter semester
2013-art journal along
journal prompt swap
shop the swap winter
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #685 on: February 11, 2014 04:52:27 PM »

Hey all! I'm really loving all of the craftiness going on! I'm totally digging that TARDIS!

Here's a huge craft bomb...

Class/Challenge: LwH, Help the Room of Requirement
House: Ravenlcaw
Title: Cubbies for everyone!!
Link: none
Description: Ever since the Winter started, it was an explosion of sweaters, shoes, scarves, hats, gloves, jackets and everything under the sun. This Room of Requirement needed some serious help. I built this cubby keeper for each person to have their own space for their shoes and boots, and a cubby above for their hats, sweaters, scarves, etc. It was just a kit so it didnt take a crazy amount of time, only 2 hours, but Ive discovered that my wrists do not like using their Allen wrenches! Anywho, I love having this amazing storage and now our front closet is all nice and clean and we repurposed the old shoe bench into a toy bench for the girls room. Cheesy Yay!

Class/Challenge: LwH, Stunning Spell
House: Ravenclaw
Title: Pear and Ginger Jam (with cinnamon!)
Link: from the book Food in Jars
Description: My cousin really wants to get into canning this year. And while I am by no means an expert, shes asked me to help her. I showed her how to do EVERYTHING! And, by the way, chopping up all of the pears for a double batch of this thing is no mean feat! So, at the end of the day, we happily walked away with six jars each of this jam and a little extra. The cinnamon is not in the original recipe but I had fresh cinnamon on hand that we ground up 2 teaspoons of and added it in and it tastes like heaven!

Class/Challenge: Muggle Studies
Title: Paleo Chicken Pot Pie
Link: http://fedandfit.com/2012/12/01/paleo-chicken-pot-pie/
Description: Lately we have been seriously cutting back on sugar and wheat and I wanted to find a yummy recipe that would still taste fabulous. This was it! It took an HOUR of prep time, though, so watch out! It was quite delicious. Heres the recipe from the link, but I will also add my substitutions in parentheses.

Paleo Chicken Pot Pie
Adapted from Ina Gartens Chicken Pot Pie.
Approximate Nutrition Facts:
Serving size: 1 personal pot pie
Makes 8 personal pot pies
670 Calories; 50 g Fat; 38 g Protein; 7 g Sugar
Ingredients:
CRUST:
3 cups Almond Meal (I used 1.5C almond meal and 1.5C coconut flour)
1.5 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
cup Coconut Oil (room temperature)
1 Tbl Cool Water (I used almost a half cup cold water b/c the coconut flour really needs moisture)
PIE:
2 Chicken Breast Halves Roasted and Cubed (about 1 lb raw)
2 cups Yellow Onions Chopped
2 cups Frozen Green Peas
2 cups Frozen Carrots (I also used parsnips)
cup Coconut Milk (I used low fat and it was still very creamy)
cup Almond Meal (I used coconut flour because I was out of almond meal at this point)
4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
3 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 Egg (for egg wash)
Directions:
ROASTED CHICKEN:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Wash chicken breast and pat dry.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Drizzle and rub 1 Tbl EVOO on the chicken breast.
Sprinkle with generous amount of kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes.
Remove from oven when finished and let cool.
Cut into about cubes when cool enough to handle.
CRUST:
In a food processor, mix the dry ingredients together (almond meal, salt, and baking powder).
Add the coconut oil and slowly pulse until its evenly mixed. It should have the consistence of peas.
Slowly add the water and pulse until it forms a dough-like texture.
Remove from food processor, roll into a ball and wrap in cling wrap.
Put the dough into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
[Now is a good time to start on the pie fillings]
Dust a pastry board (or cutting board) with almond meal.
Place the ball of dough on the dry almond meal and cut into 8 even sections. (Roll into one large piece if youre making one large pie.)
Using your hands first and then a rolling pen for even thickness, press and roll each of the 8 pieces into a circle.
Keep dusting the top and bottom of dough with dry almond meal so that it doesnt stick.
Use the ramekin or dish you are baking in to cut the right-size circle in the dough.
PIE:
Heat the EVOO in the bottom of a large pot.
Add the yellow onions and cook on medium/high until theyre brown.
Slowly add the almond meal and reduce the heat.
Slowly add the chicken stock and stir.
Add the coconut milk, 1 tsp salt, and black pepper.
Add the peas, carrots, and chicken.
Spoon an even amount into each of the 8 ramekins (or other oven-friendly bowls).
Place the crust on top of the filling.
Scramble one egg and paint the crust of each pie generously.
Sprinkle with kosher salt and cut 3-4 slits in the top.
Bake at 375 for one hour.
Let cool, then ENJOY!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour

Class/Challenge: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Title: Elf wall hanging
Link: inspired by this http://www.etsy.com/listing/85016844/quotable-christmas-print
Description: We wanted to lighten the walls of my swap partners home with some Christmas Cheer!

I apologize that the photo is dark. It says "the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear."

Class/Challenge: Charms
Title: Snowman recipe/craft box
Link: None
Description: This was a plain recipe card box but when I cast the aguamenti charm, it became a beautiful snow covered wonderland for my little snowman friend!

Class/Challenge: Transfiguration
Spew: Cobblestone Elementary Book Sale
Title: Alices Talking flowers
Link: none
Description: One of my favorite stories is Alice in Wonderland. And, as I love gardening, Ive always loved the talking flowers. It seems that when Lewis Carrol cast his transfiguration charm, they didnt quite turn completely human, though. I cast the same charm on bits of tissue paper but only managed to get large multi-colored roses. Ah well. I am donating these to my daughters school library as decorations for their upcoming book sale. I just cut 10 sheets to colored tissue paper (bottom layer is 6 sheets, middle layer is 4 sheets, top layer is 2 sheets) to be the same size square, stacked them and then folded the pile accordion style. Then I pinched the middle and wrapped it in pipe cleaner before separating the colors and fluffing out the individual sheets again.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: February 11, 2014 07:44:12 PM »

Audania1 - that cubby cabinet looks wonderful, and the jam sounds absolutely delicious!
Mistress Jennie - that fabric looks like it will make a lovely quilt.  I'm excited to see it!
noodle-bug - I love the colors you chose for your throw, and yes, they make the pattern pop beautifully!  And I also love your bird skeleton hoop -- very cool looking!  Lastly, I have a question: Does Apparition Club need to be submitted as its own project (separate from class assignments)?  If so, let me know, and I will submit another project.  Wink

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Join the DA: Lessons with Harry - Impediment Jinx
Project Name:
"Seven-Letter Word" ATC
Brief Description: I claimed blupaisan for her "Word Games" theme in this month's Ongoing ATC Swap.  The card is a word puzzle, meant to keep one's mind sharp and stop it from turning to mush!
Project Picture:

I got the idea for this card from, of all things, a Japanese game show called 「ピカッチ」("Pikacchi").  Similar to the board game Cranium, two teams compete in various mini-games, including charades, word games, clay pictionary, etc.  In one of the games, a team is assigned a 5-letter word, and each team member has 10 seconds to draw a different picture, whose first letter represents one of the 5 letters of the answer word.  The guesser has to look at all the pictures together, and figure out what they are in order to put the first letters together to guess the mystery word.  So, can you guess what blupaisan's mystery word is?

Hint: The flaps behind each picture lift up to give a peak at a second card, glued behind the first one, which gives the answer.  Click here to see it: http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t556/vincentvanbuck/ATC%20Swaps/Seven-LetterWord2.jpg

Class/Challenge/House Pride: SoAR
Project Name:
"La Kitty-na" ATC
Brief Description: Wunjo represents joy, hope, and harmony, especially among the family, and wards off woe and sorrow.  Unlike the fear and sadness traditionally associated with Death in many Western cultures , the Dia de los Muertos holiday in Mexico exemplifies a peaceful and positive relationship with Death.  Family members come together to celebrate their departed loved ones, often in joyous and humorous ways.  This ATC, done for KittyHerman in this month's Ongoing ATC Swap, captures that sense of joy, peace and humor towards the inevitability of Death, and is composed of Hello Kitty conceived in the style of a Catrina figure.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014 08:07:22 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #687 on: February 11, 2014 07:59:09 PM »

ooo really cool ATC, vvb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
stillatthetop
« Reply #688 on: February 11, 2014 08:33:34 PM »

Well. A walking foot is not your best choice for straight lines. You would be better off with your standard zig zag foot. Or any other wide foot you have. Single motion. The walker is for the squirlie patterns. And is hard to keep straight. And don't drop your feed dogs  Grin you need the grippers up to control the fabric. Just some suggestions. That is what has made it easiest for me.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: February 12, 2014 06:35:41 AM »

Well. A walking foot is not your best choice for straight lines. You would be better off with your standard zig zag foot. Or any other wide foot you have. Single motion. The walker is for the squirlie patterns. And is hard to keep straight. And don't drop your feed dogs  Grin you need the grippers up to control the fabric. Just some suggestions. That is what has made it easiest for me.
~T

stillatthehop: I've been sewing for well over 20 years.  I have a BA in Technical Theatre with an emphasis in Costuming, and a MFA in Costume Design & Construction.  I've been a costume shop manager, (paid to cut, drape, pattern & sew and teach others to sew) for the last 8 years, and worked as a theatrical stitcher for countless years before that.  In my spare time, I've made over 40 quilts, many of which are here on Craftster.  I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but a Walking Foot is exactly what is needed for quilting through multiple layers of fabric to avoid them shifting.  In fact, that's what it was designed to do.  And while I have done only a small amount of quilting on actual quilts with them, I've used them for years when quilting period clothing such as quilted doublets and 18th century petticoats.  That is what they are for.

And since the Rules of Craftsterremind us all to be polite, I have to ask that you please stop trying to "correct" people here on the Harry Potter Craftalong.  Positive comments are always welcome, but continuing to tell people how they "should" do something is unnecessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Anti-Aging Skin Remedies
How to Get Great Legs Instantly
Sneak Peek: Birchbox June 2013
Susan Sarandon Gets Incredibly Candid About Aging in Hollywood
Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...