A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 132972 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #530 on: January 21, 2014 09:33:13 AM »

What is the RRR craftalong?Huh  O.O  I *did* do a search on Bleuette and found almost nothing on Craftsters.  I *pout*ed. 

I can't name her Juliet because my favorite movie is French Kiss.  There is a character named Juliet that is the embodiment of the worse qualities of gold digging, backstabbing, man stealing women. Plus she's gorgeous and has that whole pouty thing going on.  O.O  lol  I named my #3 Madeleine after a character in a book.  Smiley  It was hard to remember all the e's when I was first learning how to spell it.  There was an inordinately, entirely unneeded amount of e's.  lol  I *do* like the name Violette.  It was the name of the daughter of a character in The Patriot.  She wasn't actually in the movie, having died off screen. 

I stared at patterns for her for a day and my brain turned to mush.  There are TONS of free patterns for her on the web, but most of them are *slightly* the wrong size.  Either how people scan them in or how they print out.  The patterns from Bluedoor all print out with a shadow.  Sad  It's hard enough, being in french, but in "3D" without glasses is just....  *brain leaking out ear*.  So today I'm dismantling an antique chip carved liquor cabinet in the off chance I can salvage it into a doll cabinet for her.  Someone really beat the snot out of it.  Sad  I dont understand people sometimes.

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
« Reply #531 on: January 21, 2014 12:05:28 PM »

We do use name finishing by A. And the "ette" ones are clearly still out of trend (maybe in 15 years, when the massing "ette" ending named lady will be dead!) At least it is, here in Québec. The name trending is different in the old word Tongue

Oh, I really, really wouldn't know what's on trend. In Flanders, French names are on the decline (politcal radicalisation between the Dutch speaking Flemish and the French-speaking Walloons, unfortunately), even the more popular ones like Eline, Emilie, Julie, Manon and Anouk are becoming more rare. I don't associate French girl names with -a, probably geause of stereotypes. -ène, -ine, -ie, -ette. I immediately believe you though when you say all the -ette names are very old-fashioned! They're very common under women of my Nan's generation here. I liked listing the old-fashioned names though, because it's an old-fashioned doll Smiley And they'll probably make a come-back in a while too, we're seeing a big rise of old-fashioned names returning. For boys, they're often updated by shortening a bit though. Antoon - Toon, Artuur - Tuur, Joseph - Jef, Matthijs - Thijs, Emiel - Miel, ...

I really like Nanette Smiley Less of an -ie girl: Amélie, Aurélie, Ophélie, ... But that's probably because of ill association: those were the names of the snob girls in my schools. :-/ Strange how people can ruin a name for you!

But I'm getting off topic, back to craft related stuff: I'm finally organising our basement! Last saturday, we lived in this current place for exactly one year, and our basement still looked like we had just moved in: disorganised piles of boxes, both full and empty, some half- or unassembled furniture, larger craft projects. But how was I ever going to sand down our garden bench and finish my revamp if it was hidden in that mess? When was I ever going to use my fabrics if I didn't even know where in the pile of boxes they were hiding?

I've swept up more dust (and chipped paint, shards of glass, dead spiders and plaster ceiling fragments) than I ever have - I had to wear a dust mask when I was sweeping, I think there was dust of decades down there! It's still rather dusty, but nowhere near the sandbox I found there. I've assembled the hand-me-down shelves we got from my mum (well, most of them, she forgot to send along a large proportion of the screws. I've just picked them up, so back at it tomorrow) and already went through most boxes and shelved quite a number of them. Sorting stuff as "keep", "gift", "donate" and "discard" and I'm being very firm with myself.

Like: yes, I know I absolutely adored my corduroy pants that wore out so much on my bottom that the fabric tore when I was putting a tissue in my back pocket (thank god I was wearing decent black granny panties that day, and not a thong!) but honestly: they've gone on two moves with me, I've had them laying around for three and a half years saying I'll make throw cushions from them, but I still haven't and the fabric is too worn out. It's about time I got the courage to put them on the discard pile. When I get behind that sewing machine, I should be using the quality fabrics in my stash to make stuff I'll truly value, not an extra set of rather plain throw pillows. The fabric wouldn't even fit my décor...

I also redid my pantry! I'm SO happy with the new set-up Cheesy Honestly, now that it's done, I can't understand that I was able to put it off for so long!

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
« Reply #532 on: January 21, 2014 12:38:12 PM »

QUILT!!!!  You could use it for quilt pieces!!!  No wait.... Im not supposed to be encouraging you to horde.....  I'm doing the same thing with the garage, but sans the mask.  I should have worn the mask.  I'm allergic to dust.  Sad

I didn't even know Julie was a French name. Smiley  One of my best friends is named Julie.  I doubt she knows it's French either.  lol Smiley 

The more I look at this cabinet, the more I'm annoyed at both the people who built it and the people who destroyed it.  I'm off to town for a nice, sturdy piece of lumber to back it with.  I didnt have exactly what I needed in the garage.  sigh  A little voice keeps warning me not to spend more money *fixing* this cabinet than it would have cost to buy a new one.  Anyone else ever do that?  smh

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: January 21, 2014 02:50:49 PM »

A new Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean Mini-Challenge has been posted!  

What's this week's bean!?!?  Take the Portkey to the Deputy Headmistresses Office to find out!

Please note you are welcome to do any, all or none of these challenges as they come up throughout the semester.  They are not intended to cause stress, but are instead intended to get your crafty Muses singing.  Neither the Headmistress or I will complete ALL the classes and challenges posted this semester.  So relax, and craft what you love.

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #534 on: January 21, 2014 05:09:42 PM »

Class: MS
House: ravenclaw
Project: A Bear Hood, and a Poem

I am
One of the Three
Goldilocks stole from me!

I am
A hidden Princess
Though the costume makes my hair a mess

I am
A soldier with a deal
so I no longer have to steal

I am
a king to be
if someone will only marry me

I am
A goldsmith bewitched
too a princess hitched

I am
stumpy of tail
but at least not a whale

Each verse refers to a fairy-tale bear Cheesy I ruddy love this hood!

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
« Reply #535 on: January 22, 2014 06:23:34 AM »

Awesome stuff, everyone! Smiley

Coulsenl Your baby journal is so neat!  We just found and read some of a journal I did for my now-18-year-old.  I'm SO GLAD I wrote down the things I did record, because I have no memory of them, and some of them are hilarious!

vincentvanbuck That seafood mac looks so good.  Talk about comfort food! Yum!  And your boat ride painting is amazing.  I am in awe of your skills!

jenleahlynn I bet that applesauce was magnificent!  It looks and sounds so tasty!  And your helper is so cute. Smiley

rockmygypsysoul Your resolution collage is lovely.  I <3 those cracked beads so much!

butterflyangel  Oh, those Dutch apple wedges look and sound fantastic!  And your V-day card turned out great!  I especially love the pocket/envelope you made for it. Smiley

Naantje Sputnik's grabbing ball turned out great!  And what a handsome boy he is. Cheesy  I love your quick release bracelet, too!  I've been planning to do a class on those for my son's Boy Scout troop.

Pottermouth Your Waldorf dolly is coming along beautifully!  I love his happy little face Smiley

DragonChilde  Fear not!  WE did not smash your prefect.  We simply handed him the Gargle Blaster and he got a bit. . . carried away.  Turns out he's pretty awesome, and is welcome in the Huffle Basement at any time!  Grin  I'm surprised at how well he's getting on with Party King Thranduil.  I thought they'd kind of fight over who got all the attention, but I think they've figured out that the combined spectacle of their personalities is nothing short of spectacular!  

OMG, your unicorn is amazing!  I did a jewelry project about 600 years ago in high school, and I had a really hard time cutting out my very primitive flower decently.  I'm staggered by your mad skills!!  Your salve and medicine balls are awesome.  (I do some home herbal stuff, too, but I haven't reached your level of skill yet.)  That maille pot scrubber is so cool!  And the butterbeer sounds fabulous! Smiley

jellybean89 All of your cat toys tuned out great!  I bet the shelter kitties will be so happy! Smiley  And your ticket box is so pretty.  What a neat idea!

Netchez The mint hat looks soooo cosy!  And the bluette accessories are adorable!  I like your cotton bag, too!  I need to make one of those!

Magpirate Your secret swap item made me laugh.  Cheesy  Very entertaining!

Nicajeanie I <3 your Luna scarf so much!  Your Christmas photos are a great idea!  ANd those crochet boots look amazingly snuggly!  

Mistressjennie The thing you made for our headmistress is lovely!  Wow!  

ErinAquaHearts That is really sweet of you to make those cosy handwarmers and hat for the poor girls.  I'm sure that receiving things that are handmade with love (not to mention beautiful!) will be MUCH appreciated!  

MamanTattoo The manly lunch bag is fantastic!  And your dolly outfits turned out fabulous!

Acadian Driftwood That mockingjay pillow is incredible!  What a lot of work!  And the cowl looks sooo snuggly!  The beautiful savings box is such a great idea!  And your ATCs are amazing.  I think you did a wonderful job on the faces!!

midkiffsjoy Wow!  I had never heard of Bleuette dolls and their amazing history before.  You did an incredible job on her!  Do you suppose she will attend Beauxbatons?  Maybe she will meet Fleur or Gabrielle. Smiley  Her dress is amazing!  Well done on the invisihem! (Yes, I just made that word up, LOL!)

BadWolf314  I love the matchy hats!  And isn't it great when the giftee is so thrilled? Cheesy

Noodle-bug  OMG, that bear hood is awesome!  Great job! Smiley

And now I must get my sorry self to crafting!  (Well, after the regular drudgery of the day, of course.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014 06:25:16 AM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #536 on: January 22, 2014 07:10:10 PM »

Hey guys!  I'm sorry this is a drive-by post.  We all went down like dominoes with a really bad stomach flu (yet another full day in the hospital for mummy but thankfully they stopped the contractions) and then my parents came to visit.

I've seen most of the projects and they're all wonderful!  I'll be updating the classrooms soon again.

I have a NEWT proposal:

Class: SoAR
Name: Classic Pooh Birth Sampler

I'll be making this baby a cross-stitch sampler as well.  The project itself would be NEWT in length anyway, but there's the added bonus I need to reconstruct the pattern based on photos I found online, as the only kit I liked is discontinued.  I'll be graphing it in Excel, matching colours as best as possible with the DMC chart, then stitching.

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #537 on: January 23, 2014 10:34:10 AM »

O.W.L. update- seeing as how I hit a moment of inspiration, completed my ATB and mailed it off in less than the required time, I'll make an additional block to turn in.

N.E.W.T. update- making clothes for the Waldorf doll, and since I am ahead of myself with this project as well, it makes sense to outfit him with a wardrobe (and probably toys).

)O( * &#2384;

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #538 on: January 23, 2014 11:09:40 AM »

Midkiffsjoy: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428280.0 It's the craftalong of reclying, reusing and repurposing. Cheesy
pottermouth: He's awesome!!! you work fast and effectively, apparently! His jammies rock.
noodle-bug: I love it! Did you used the pattern I saw sold around on etsy, or you made it up yourself ?
BadWolf314- matching dolly & me cloth is always a winner! (even with my son!)

meh- I should work on my OWL! -and update the Quidditch schore

My Blog! (and where I sell my dolls!)
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #539 on: January 23, 2014 12:24:56 PM »

I used a pattern i brought on ravelery (might be the same one - will add a link when not on phone), but i changed the ears a lit, and will be changing the top part, and adding decreases to make it a bit more fitted around the head part when i make some more for friends

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bake Beans for Your Chicken
Grilling BBQ Chicken with Baked Beans
What To Do with Turkey Leftovers
How to Check the Temperature of a Roasted Turkey
The Open Pan Roasting Method
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...