A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 72106 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: January 18, 2014 07:45:41 AM »

My only real resolution this year is to work on considering myself an artist and trusting myself in that regard.  My whole life line drawing is the only thing I've ever been good at and even then only by reproducing pictures.  And I love it and have a lot of fun with it but I don't really consider it art.  But last year I wanted to try expanding my repertoire and I did (chalk pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, oils) but I've still kept it in the reproduction forte.  So while I will continue some repros, I also want to try to expand my horizons.  SO this was based on (but not  duplication of) a mixed media piece for someone in the OWS.

rockmygypsysoul, I think that is a noble and excellent resolution for any Craftster-er.  You are absolutely an un-qualified artist in my eyes, your fantastic oil paintings are proof-positive of that.  I understand your feelings about reproducing pieces, that is something I am working on, too.

omg you guys, I forgot to tell you... my crazy-fashion-concious brother actually worn the hat I knitted him (given on Christmas day)... he actually left the house wearing it! and his gf says he wears all the time! He's never actually worn or used anything I've made him before (I think he appreciates the stuff, but I've just not managed to crack his style & standards before now). I'm SO happy!

noodle-bug, that is great news, how exciting!  My S.O. has asked me to knit him a scarf, first time he has ever requested a craft!  I am thinking it will have to wait until next winter though, I have not knitted in... 7 years, and he is quite picky, so I'm pretty sure I will have to do several practice rounds to produce one of sufficient quality.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DADA
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name:
Boracay Boat Ride
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Last night I went with my best friend to our favorite paint and sip place.  The colors of the assigned painting were very pretty, but I have gotten to the point where I want to push myself by doing original paintings during these classes.  (I paint at home, too, but it is soooo convenient to have a full selection of colors, and not having to worry about cleaning up afterwards!)  Last semester, I posted my first "spontaneous" original painting from one of these classes, and it was black and white.  I am even more pleased with this original color painting, which should adorn my wall wonderfully!
Project Picture:

I took the photo I used for the source image during our holiday trip to the Philippines, so it holds some personal significance.  I feel like this is a "true" original, since I used my own photo as the source.

I am pleased with several elements of the painting: the blending of the sky (that very first step of blending the background seems to be the easiest, but [or therefore?] it's always my favorite  Wink ), and the shadows of the indentations on the right side of the boat.  I have always been weak at drawing and composition, so there are major issues with some parts of the boat, but I knew that would be difficult going in.  Overall, I am more pleased with it than I expected I would be -- enough so that I may go back and outline the boat elements in a thin black line to to try and "finish" it more later.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014 07:51:40 AM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Altered Puzzle Pieces Rd. 9
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6
  • July Ongoing ATC Swap (co-org only)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #501 on: January 18, 2014 08:02:07 AM »

The boat looks wonderful (the side panel with the shading you were talking about was the first thing that jumped out at me, too; it's so perfectly done!) and plus, awesome way to remember a special time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: January 18, 2014 03:12:29 PM »

Deputy Headmistress Jennifer, you added my completed transfiguration newt  to the advanced studies list, but i don't see it on the house points list - could you check for me next time you're updating, please?

Well, I might be willing to check on that....  had you not just called me Jennifer, which tends to make this little Jennie madder than a Hippogriff faced with an impolite Draco Malfoy.  ::grumble, grumble, grumble:: Tongue  Tongue Tongue  Wink

::Sigh:: Very well, I suppose I could be helpful....  (I just got home from visiting our new apartment for 2 days, and came back to our awful house in Kentucky, which is very cold, and not at all where I want to be, so I'm a bit of a grumble-bunny right now.  Don't take my grousing seriously.)

As for your first quandry, the reason you don't see your NEWT on that list, is that NEWTs & OWLs don't get listed in the Completed Classes & Challenges list.  Only Classes and Challenges, since NEWTs/OWLs are listed in the post below.  You did receive House Points for it.

Also... it doesn't look like my current NEWT is listed in the proposals. The proposal was made in the same post as the completed project above
Cheesy

Also i cancelled my ongoing astronomy OWL a while ago due to ... basically, just really intense craft fatigue. essentially I grew to hate the project, which seems like rather a bad vibe in which to amke a baby blanket Smiley I'm planning on proposing a new one soon

Thanks!

I think the new NEWT proposal was eaten by the internet during my epic day of updating last week.  I've gone back and added it to the list, and removed the cancelled OWL at the same time.

Ok, now to pack Etsy orders, and a special surprise for our fabulous Headmistress, hit the post office, then come home, put on like 7 more layers of clothing and snuggle up with DH on the couch with some wine.  Maybe then I'll be less grumbly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #503 on: January 18, 2014 03:33:02 PM »

...snuggle up with DH on the couch with some wine.  Maybe then I'll be less grumbly.

That always cures a less-than-fabulous day. (I usually go with the hard stuff, to congratulate myself on another week of homeschooling twins  Cheesy) Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #504 on: January 18, 2014 04:52:25 PM »

had you not just called me Jennifer, which tends to make this little Jennie madder than a Hippogriff faced with an impolite Draco Malfoy.  ::grumble, grumble, grumble:: Tongue  Tongue Tongue  Wink

can I blame autocorrect and a lack of proof-reading?  Grin sorry!
(Don't you dare bite my arm, or my father will hear about it...)

Thank you  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014 04:55:04 PM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
jellybean89
« Reply #505 on: January 18, 2014 05:40:08 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Apparition, SPEW
Project Name: Canada Cat Toys
Project Page Link (if available): none
Brief Description: For Apparition class, I traveled north to Canada and crocheted red and white cat toys inspired by the Canadian flag. The toys will be donated to my local animal shelter.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean: Peppermint, SPEW
Project Name: Catnip Mice
Brief Description: For the peppermint bean, I made catnip mice that will make some shelter cats very happy. Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures, SPEW
Project Name: Gold Cat Toys
Brief Description: For Care of Magical Creatures, I crocheted gold cat toys inspired by the unicorn's gold hooves. The toys will be donated to my local animal shelter.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Defence Against the Dark Arts
Project Name: Movie Ticket Box
Brief Description: For Defence Against the Dark Arts, I made a shadowbox to decorate my wall. It's inspired by this shadowbox and is made to display movie tickets. The shadowbox is ~ 6" x 8" and I used scrapbooking paper and Scrabble tiles for the inside.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Divination, SPEW
Project Name: Spider Cat Toys
Brief Description: For Divination class, I crocheted spider cat toys (based on this pattern) for the cats at my local animal shelter.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

netchez
« Reply #506 on: January 18, 2014 10:33:11 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Bean - Peppermint
Project Name: Mary's hat
Brief Description: I was making winter hats for everyone and I asked Mary, my younger dd, if she would like one.  She said "Oh yes, my ears have been freezing in the cold weather".  When asked for the color she would like, I was told "Mint green please".  Someone had given her a mint green scarf and the hat would then match.  Sure enough, I did it and she is extremely happy with the finished product.  So here's my peppermint! 
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
netchez
« Reply #507 on: January 18, 2014 11:07:00 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Herbology
Project Name: Holly present for Bluette
Brief Description: DD is making a "Bluette" type doll.  The doll needs some clothes so I am making accessories for her... ie. a hat, scarf, and shopping bag.  Because of the season, I chose crochet thread in holly colors, red and green (with a little white thrown in for snowflakes).
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
netchez
« Reply #508 on: January 19, 2014 06:46:03 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Alchemy
Project Name: Cotton bag
Brief Description: I made several more coton shopping bags for Christmas presents.  They are made of "Peaches and Cream" 100% cotton yarn and last a long time. 
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #509 on: January 19, 2014 08:52:54 AM »

If I'm ever reincarnated as a cat, i want to belong a HPCer. Those kitties get done cool stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Colorization and Restoration of a Damaged Photo Timelapse
How to Make Your Skies Look Great
Using Camera Raw Over and Over Again as a Filter
Photo Editing From Start to Finish: The Washington Coast
Making Reusable Templates in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...