A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 85227 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: January 16, 2014 07:32:51 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Muggle Studies
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name:
Seafood Mac 'n Cheese
Project Page Link (if available): recipe modified from http://www.marthastewart.com/318196/emerils-seafood-mac-and-cheese
Brief Description: I first made this mac and cheese recipe last year during Lent, and it was a hit with S.O. (who usually gives up all meat for the season except seafood).  After Lent, I started playing around with the recipe, and then S.O. really started to love it (bacon will do that to a man).  The only thing is, it makes SO MUCH, and there's only the two of us... I end up eating left-overs for a week! (And it is certainly not the most figure-friendly dish to begin with.)  So tonight, for my first home-made meal of the year, I figured I would try trimming the ingredient quantities and baking it in a pie dish instead of a large casserole.
Project Picture:

Recipe (modified from the link above):

1) Preheat oven to 400.  Put a large pot of water to boil.  In a large skillet, brown 4 pieces of chopped bacon.

2) Salt water and cook 1/2 pound of pasta (I use shells) for two minutes short of al dente; drain and rinse with cool water to stop cooking.

3) Remove bacon, and add 1 - 2 Tbsp butter to bacon drippings; soften 1/2 chopped medium onion and 1 chopped clove garlic for 3 - 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

4) Add 1/3 cup flour to onions and cook for one minute to make a roux.  Add 3 cups whole milk, whisking until smooth.  Bring to boil, and cook until sauce has thickened.  Season with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning.

5) Remove sauce from heat.  Fold in 2 cups of shredded cheese (I used an Italian mix), and then fold in 1/2 pound of cooked frozen shrimp, 1/2 pound of cooked frozen chicken chunks, and bacon.  Season to taste.  Pour mixture into a baking dish.

6)  In a small sauce pan, melt 1 - 2 Tbsp. butter.  Add 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs, and stir to lightly toast.  Season with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning.  Spoon panko crumbs over top of filled baking dish.  (S.O. is *very* insistent that crumbs be browned on top, so for extra insurance, I drizzle a little olive oil over the top for maximum brown-ness.)

7)  Bake in oven for 15 - 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and panko topping has browned.

Someday, I'd like to cut the meat (except for the bacon) and try making it with sautéed mushrooms instead.  However, that's going to be a tough sell for S.O., so we'll see if it ever happens.  In the meantime, I won't be making this again for a while, as it is kind of a beast to clean up afterwards...

House - RavenclAWESOME

Heck yeah, noodle-bug!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014 07:38:32 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Yet Another TM Patch Swap R. 3
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10
  • October ATC (organizer)
  • November ATC (organizer)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
pottermouth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #491 on: January 16, 2014 07:34:42 PM »

Maman, Emilie is so sweet! I love her little chin. And hurray for kid art!

Hmm. In that case, I think the lack of audio on the pictures may be ruin your chances of accurately copying me, since photos cannot convey the quantity and volume of my cussing

I can't copy you because my satin stitch is awful, which makes the cussing pretty prolific. Great hexie making too, and I think I need a Cumberbatch of them.

Avesthel, gorgeous jewelry!

rockmygypsysoul, oh wow. Your oil paintings are amazing.

blupaisan, Welcome and congrats on your resolution! With those awesome earrings, you are sure to be successful. Love the grass ones.

Naantje, great kitty lounger! Great way to repurpose your yarn.

Moonflame, mmmmm, scrummy snowballs...yeah, I don't think they would have made it to the fridge.

coulsenl, congrats on your future Hogwarts student; she's beautiful!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenleahlynn
« Reply #492 on: January 16, 2014 07:50:19 PM »

it took me quite awhile to scroll through all the amazing projects that have been turned in this semester!i'm so far behind, i've been crafting, just not turning anything in.

first off, last semesters join dumbledores army assignment-

class/challenge-hogshead
house-gryffendor
project-old school applesauce

ingredients-apples

directions-quarter, simmer and stir until soft, strain

i actually made this just before christmas. I went the orchard near our house, and asked which apples are the best for making applesauce. who knew there were so many kinds? he said golden delicous were most popular, but mutsu apples were sweet and juicy, just less well know. if the fresh apples taste good, then you can make them into sauce without adding sugar. sometimes we add a little cinnamon at the table. they also had great deal on a bushel (40lbs). that is a lot of apples! i used maybe 8lbs for this, whatever my largest pot would hold. I

cut the apples into quarters, and set them to simmer with a cup of apple juice so they wouldn't stick. i stirred them occasionally, and after about 15 minetes they start getting soft. the time depends on how many apples you are cooking.
at this point, i take them off the heat and let them cool so i don't burn myself straining the sauce.

for a small batch, i would take the time to peal and core them. cooking with the peals on also give it a slightly brown color.  I make large batches to can or freeze, so a food strainer comes in really handy, along with some help turning the crank. my kids also don't like chunky applesauce. straining it makes it smoother more like what you buy at the store.

the sauce goes into the funnel at the top, and the strainer lets the best part out the shute on the side, while the peals and cores go out the end. we put some the fridge to eat cold, and put the rest in the crockpot to serve warm at family christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
-i love to try new crafts, and learn new techniques. my strength is color pencils, but i also scrapbook, stitch, crochet, bead, any excuse to head to the craft store!

harry potter craft along
teesha moore patch swap
breaking dawn swap
ongoing atc swap
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #493 on: January 16, 2014 08:26:47 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: New Year's Resolution Challenge!!
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Mixed Media Art Collage
Brief Description: My only real resolution this year is to work on considering myself an artist and trusting myself in that regard.  My whole life line drawing is the only thing I've ever been good at and even then only by reproducing pictures.  And I love it and have a lot of fun with it but I don't really consider it art.  But last year I wanted to try expanding my repertoire and I did (chalk pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, oils) but I've still kept it in the reproduction forte.  So while I will continue some repros, I also want to try to expand my horizons.  SO this was based on (but not  duplication of) a mixed media piece for someone in the OWS.
Project Picture:
Please ignore the crappy picture - The words say "In a world of possibilities imagine yourself as one."  The beads at the top are navy pearls, the swirl is cracked turquoise and clear, and the white swirls and dots are actually topped with glitter-painted paper.  The beads on the blue circles are peach and the lace fabric flower is a pinky/peach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
butterflyangel
« Reply #494 on: January 16, 2014 11:14:36 PM »

Hey guys! Everyone has such great projects! Also, thanks for the compliments

vincentvanbuck and Linakins I used a glue gun

So I'm not sure if this is right, Mistress Jennie or pinkleo let me know so I can get my points !  Cheesy

Class/Challenge/House Pride:~*Have a Drink in the Hog's Head*~
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Dutch Apple Wedges
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I made this to bring to my guy's house. The recipe says it serves 12 people, so I figured it would be enough to bring over to his house. It was shared between him and his 4 siblings. I wish I had a pic, but it was gone rather quickly  Cheesy
Project Picture

The recipe came from Better Crocker's Simply Dessert:

Dutch Apple Wedges (12 servings)

Crust
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine

Crumb Topping
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine

Apple Topping
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart cooking apples

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. mix 1 cup flour and 1/3 cup sugar. With fork or pastry blendr, cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly. Press mixture evenly in bottom of ungreased 9-in round pan. Bake 25 mins. (OR, if you're like me, use store bought pie crust.)

2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all Crumb Topping ingredients until crumbly; set aside.

3. In medium bowl, mix 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and the cinnamon. Stir in apples until coated. Spoon apple mixture over baked crust. (To not waste all that yummy apple topping, I threw the rest in there on top of the apples.) Sprinkle with Crumb Topping.

4. Bake about 30 mins or until topping is light brown and apples are tender. Cool 30 mins before serving.

Class/Challenge/House Pride:~*Sign the Parchment*~
House: Gryffindor
Project Name:Valentine's Day Card
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I feel like besides my knitty crafts, my "signature craft" would be cards so I whipped up this simple Valentine's Day card to send to the guy. I tried to make it not so girly.
Project Picture:

I hope he doesn't mind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #495 on: January 17, 2014 04:42:01 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: History of Magic
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Sputnik's grabbing ball
Brief Description:
More crafts for cats! Our Charlotte is an old lady at nearly 13 and she's become the lounging and lazing about type, she's not very playful. Sputnik on the other hand isn't even a year and he sure loves to play! He's ransacked a couple of toys lately and I figured: why spend money on storebought toys he'll kill soon enough when I've got plenty of scraps to make some? I used the leftover yarn from Charlotte's lounging mat, the elastic from a plush fish on a rod he managed to kill twice (first, he attacked so powerfully that the handle broke off, later, he gutted the fish!) and I stuffed the ball with a laddered nylon stocking.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Potions
Project Name: Quick-release bracelet practice run
Brief Description:
My husband and I are planning a hiking trip this summer and we'll be heading out to less population dense areas of Europe (Which is rather easy, considering that worldwide, Belgium ranks eighth for population density of countries or regions with a population of over 10 million citizens. In Europe, only the Netherlands are more densely populated.) Since we're not quite sure what to expect in terms of cell phone coverage and the likelihood of passers-by to help us out if we get lost, I want to make sure we're prepared should worst come to worst. I won't leave without a lightweight survival kit! For the content, I let myself be inspired by Bear Grylls, but I'm not buying a premade kit, I'll assemble my own set!

One of the recommended items in the survival kit was several feet of paracord, because of its multifunctionality. I didn't much like the idea of a tangly mess of cord though, so I looked into paracord bracelets. Most types I found were just made like macram though, and I know how much of a hassle it is to unravel macram. If we were ever to need it, I'd prefer a quickly unraveling bracelet! I found this instructional video on youtube. It looked great, but I wanted to give it a trial run in leftover thick knitted yarn before starting my search for paracord and buckles. It requires accurate measuring around the wrist to end up with a bracelet that's just loose enough to easily fasten and unfasten, but not so loose that it can latch onto branches or hooks etc. I found that I also really had to pay lots of attention to get the tension nice and even throughout (that's harder than in macram) and to get the order of the ties right so as to prevent a spiraling bracelet. I've had to rip back several times to fix errors! The ripping back did prove that this type of bracelet can unravel very quickly indeed if required, so I'll be on the lookout for proper paracord and sturdy buckles and make my husband and myself one each.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #496 on: January 17, 2014 08:50:52 AM »

Advance Studies Friday update:

O.W.L.- Since I have been stumped on the base of my ATB for a while now, I have been adding loads of things to the actual block. I'd better sort out the bottom soon or it's going to be a hot mess!

N.E.W.T.- The body and arms have been sewn and stuffed (no pic of that yet) and I have the head constructed. The head looks a bit small, so I'll probably re-do it. And don't fret about the arms looking so gangly...most of that will be sewn to the "muff" of the doll!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 17, 2014 04:47:26 PM »

blupaisan ~ I love how the cupboard turned out. It looks so cheerful. Lovely earrings. I really like how oddball they are. I positively love your bone earrings! I really like the red accents.
ErinAquaheart~ I really like all the paintings you have been doing. Your owl and lion are positively gorgeous and the shrooms are quite cute. What a lovely unicorn. It is so wonderful when mythological treasures show up! What delicious looking cookies.
TechnicolorAquahearts~ That chicken rice looks great. It sounds like a wonderful comfort food. What a lovely unicorn paining. I really like the emotions that the face evokes. I can't wait to see more pictures of your OWL. What and adorable green lion. I want to hug it.
Avesthel~ What lovely rings. I adore the necklace as well.
Magpirate~I love your Mbius ball jewelry, it has an elegant and and simple look. It looks like you had a lot of fun in the snow! Those granola bars look yummy. Your knotwork woodcarving is beautiful!
Mistress Jennie~ As always, your jewelry amazes me.Those frozen burritos sound fantastic! THose slippers are very cute. They look nice and cozy. That chocolate pie sounds very yummy.
Naantje~ Great action shots. Your goddaughter looks great in her new sweater. What a cute cat mat. I adore the action shots. That grabbing ball is wonderful. Looks like Sputnik lose it. How much cord will your bracelet hold? That looks like a fantastic way to mobilize your survival kit.
Inseaeffchen~ Your new OWL sounds fantastic.
tiamatfire~ That is an impressive cross-stitch!
Linakins~ Really? I would love a badge from you! I'll PM you shortly and we can figure something out. That is such an adorable poppet. I also call my Gryffindor brother a Gryffindork.
vincentvanbuckk~ I really like your your fire hoopla looks. That Mack 'n Cheese sounds amazing! I bet it will be fantastic with mushrooms as well.
netchez~ What a lovely blanket, it looks really warm.
MamanTattoo~ What beautiful dolls. I really like the way you used some of your son's artwork in your own. SUch a cute hat. Your moon lady is very pretty.
rockmygyosysoul~ I love your paintings! I especially like the mountain and aurora borealis ones. What a beautiful collage.
noodle-bug~ Cute hexies! I adore your knitting needle holder decoration thing-y. I like the stripes on your new cowl.
Moonflame~ I really must object to your treatment of our prefect. Those snowballs look fantastic. What a fantastic flower. I love the color! I really like the Europa moonflower one as well.
coulsenl~ I love the memory journal.
jenleahlynnn~ That applesauce sounds fantastic!
butterflyangel~ That dessert sounds amazing. Your valentine's day card is really cute.
pottermouth~ Great progress shot of your NEWT. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name: Copper Unicorn
Project Page Link: none (yet)
Brief Description: I spotted a unicorn on my latest jaunt into the forbidden forest and decided to capture its majesty. The silhouette has been sawn out of copper, sanded and filed, and finally polished until it had a mirrored finish. The surface has some scratches on it but I am very happy with how it turned out. When I cast the polishing charm, I misspoke and the creature came to life and took a good chunk out of my thumb before I de-animated it. Thankfully, Madam Pomfrey patched me up. The surface is really reflective and my camera was unable to capture it well, though of course it captured the small scratches perfectly.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: History of Magic
Quidditch: Catch the SNITCH for SLYTHERIN- Practice can leave your feeling sore and the number of times qudditch players have visited Madam Pomfrey is pretty ridiculous. (Is this clear enough?)
Project Name: Sore Muscle Salve
Project Page Link: None
Brief Description: This salve is a recipe I got from a friend of mine. Her late mother used to make it for her and she thought that I might be able to make use of the recipe. It is a salve made with 2 cups Balm of Gilead oil and 1 cup St. John's Wort oil and 2.5 (ish) ounces of beeswax. This salve will help me save money by eliminating pain relievers from my shopping list.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride:Potions
Quidditch:Catch the SNITCH for SLYTHERIN (Yet more medicine for our injured quidditch players)
Project Name: Medicine Balls
Project Page Link: Molly's Herbals
Brief Description: It took a lot of careful measuring to make these medicine balls for our farm animals. I made some herbal wormer, joint and arthritis help, and some mo'milk. To make the dosage balls, you mix 1/4C slippery elm bark with 1/2C of the medicine and then run it through a food processor with 1/4C molasses. THen you break it into 16 pieces (the hardest part) and roll the pieces into balls. Roll the balls in slippery elm powder.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DA Sign the Parchment
Project Name: Maille Dish scrubber
Project Page Link: none (yet)
Brief Description: I don't really have a signature craft here on Craftster, but my friends and family seem to consider chainmaille my signature craft (I did spend over a year making myself a chainmaille skirt {I still need to finish soldering the darn thing}, so they have reason). A while ago, my uncle commissioned a maille pot scrubber from me (the first time someone has asked me to make them something and offered to pay me for it!!). I told him I would and last month I got rings to make it. At first I wanted to work the scrubber in the dragonscale weave but the ring sizes are less than ideal so I ended up making a simple rectangle of Euro 4-1, reinforcing the edges with small rings to add a tiny bit of rigidity to it. Finish dimensions: 4X3 in.
Project Picture:

Also, I can't submit this as a class because it didn't take me 30 minutes but I found a great butterbeer recipe! You make a toffee syrup recipe found [urlhttp://figtestkitchen.com/2011/07/butterbeer/]here[/url], I didn't like using it in the manner suggested to make butterbeer. Instead I mixed a large spoonful of syrup with a glass of warm/hot milk which I then topped it off with a little sparkling water.

Doesn't it look delicious?
Recipe
1 cup dark brown sugar plus 4 tablespoons
2/3 cup water plus 1 tablespoon
1 stick butter
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Mix 4 tablespoons brown sugar with 1 tablespoon water and microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute until a syrup is formed.
2. In a medium-small saucepan, combine 1 cup dark brown sugar with butter and syrup. Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and the mixture bubbles a bit.
3. Add 2/3 cup water and vanilla extract. Gently boil for about 10 minutes, until mixture begins to thicken and gets syrupy.
4. Remove from heat. This is also awesome on vanilla ice cream, just for the record.

Eeeeeep! I forgot my Advanced Studies Friday update. I started working on my NEWT again and made a little bit of progress with the runes this week. I also ordered a mini tarot deck to decorate the inside of the book.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014 05:20:11 PM by DragonChilde » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #498 on: January 17, 2014 06:59:54 PM »

Advanced studies Friday Saturday (in my time zone, anyway!)...

My NEWT is going well. Or, well enough that I'm pleased with it. It's definitly jumper shaped anyway! I'm grafting the shoulders, or rather I've now grafted one shoulder three times and unpicked it 3 times. But it gets better each go! and I've promised myself the next will be the last, otherwise I'll go insane.
This is never going to be a jumper that can be worn out of the house; chunky wool may grow a project fast, but it small mistakes in fat wool are quite noticeable. But it is definitely a viable jumper; I managed to get both arms the same length (took a few goes) and the fit is good despite my weirdly proportioned body (I choose a loose fitted style on purpose, but I'm pleased that it's quite flattering, to the extent that I can try it on while it's pinned together anyway)
so I just need to graft the shoulders & sleeve tops, then pick up the collar and cuffs to and the ribbing there, then sew up the underarm and I'll be done.
Despite all the mistakes, I've learnt a lot and am super proud of it so far.

~*OWL PROPOSAL*~
OWL Subject: Divination option 2
House: ravenclaw
Project Name: small blanket for brett
Brief Description: This will be a small-ish blanket for my brother's new house. it's the first time he's ever asked for a crafted item*. This will live on his sofa, so will be perfect for napping under, and thus will allow for many dreams Cheesy
I found a pattern for a fairly simple moss stitch (which I've never done before) throw, which I will be adapting slightly. The pattern calls for 2 strands of chunky wool on Mahooosive needles... with an attached i-cord border (also I've never this done before) in a contrast colour. well, I will be using 2 strands of different colour yarn to add more interest, since brett specifically requested that he wanted a throw to add some colour to the room.
It's a simple enough pattern, but the sheer size of it will mean that it take a while to do (also, being big and knitted as one piece it won't be too portable, which means no crafting-on-the-go).
I'm not sure about the i-cord. What I have learnt from my current NEWT is to practice new techniques on scarp before plunging on on a project you've spent hours on  Roll Eyes so I will practice, with the aim to do it on the final piece... however, if I can't get the hang of it I will do a simpler edging, eg a blanket stitch.
my mum has offered to pay for yarn Smiley and I'm doing some research to find a good value / quality balance on suitable chunky yarns - as soon as I reach a decision on that I will buy the wool and get knitting, and I would hope to be done 3-4 weeks after casting on

*Irrelevant but very excitedly written side note
omg you guys, I forgot to tell you... my crazy-fashion-concious brother actually worn the hat I knitted him (given on Christmas day)... he actually left the house wearing it! and his gf says he wears all the time! He's never actually worn or used anything I've made him before (I think he appreciates the stuff, but I've just not managed to crack his style & standards before now). I'm SO happy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Naantje
« Reply #499 on: January 18, 2014 05:42:50 AM »

DragonChilde: It contains about two armspans of the thick yarn. I'll update when I've found my paracord Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dwayne Ballen: What Are You Reading?
Author Nicholas Sparks LIVE
Psychiatrist Pens Psychological Thriller Romance Novel
Carolyn Dalgliesh Talks About the Sensory Child Gets Organized
An Interview With New York Times Bestselling Author Lisa Renee Jones
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...