A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,749
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 85278 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: January 12, 2014 12:16:03 PM »

I hope this is "kosher"... during my holiday travels, I completed the first of the four component hooplas for my Alchemy OWL.  It seems like people don't usually post in-progress pics of their Advanced Studies WIPs, but since I am new to embroidery, I would really love any feedback I could get from the talented people here before I move on to the next one in the series.

I decided to tackle "Fire" as the first of my Four Elements hooplas.  I was sort of fretting over what the image should be for each element... how to come up with something that wouldn't be too complicated for a newbie needle-worker.  I settled on the Chinese/Japanese characters for each element, because they are straight-forward and significant to me.

In order to get a pattern, I typed up the character in my word processor, and found a font that had a little more shape to it.  After printing it out in the size that best fit my hoop, I used my window as a light box to trace the pattern using a white transfer pencil.  I outlined the pattern with a split stitch using 3 threads of embroidery floss (which meant I always had to divide it 2-and-1 -- I'm thinking that 4 would've been better), and then filled in the whole thing with two strands of satin stitch.

I am specifically wondering about the following issues:

1) I'm using a set of variegated threads for all four hoops.  On this one, I started out the satin stitch from the middle of the top, and then you'll see the "split" where I went down the left "leg" of the character.  For this part, I was concerned that the variegation wasn't showing up enough in the thread (when I cut out a length of thread from the skein, and split it up into 3 sets of 2 stands, the same color pattern repeated 3 times in a row).  So, for the right leg, instead of keeping the 2 strands of floss running the same direction, when I separated them, I would put the opposite ends together, making the variegation a lot more random instead of gradual.  I used that same technique on the two triangles at the sides as well.  Which do you think looks better?

2) Doing the satin stitch, there are several spots where I came up through (or even outside) my split stitch outline, which looked quite sloppy.  Do you think I should use something other than split stitch to outline my pattern if I'm filling in with satin, or do I just need to be more fastidious about coming up inside the outline?

3) Also, as I was reading online about satin stitch, some websites said that you need to carry the thread all the way around on the back side, and others advised to just come up right next to the hole where you exited.  I ended up using the first technique, even though I felt like I was wasting a ton of thread, since I was afraid of coming through my holes if I didn't.  Which technique do you recommend?

Feedback, constructive critique and advice are VERY much appreciated, since I am just learning about all of this.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014 12:19:48 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Yet Another TM Patch Swap R. 3
  • Christmas Stocking Swap R. 10
  • October ATC (organizer)
  • November ATC (organizer)

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #451 on: January 12, 2014 12:46:58 PM »

Awesome piece, vincentvanbuck! A real success since you are just learning. Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2014 03:51:12 PM »

Vincentvanbuck, your embroidery is looking beautiful! I love the variegated thread! I was always told (and this is what I do) to do the same as you are - to carry the thread all of the way around the back. Otherwise, you will have strange pulling holes and your edges won't be as consistent if the fabric ends up having a looser weave in parts. As to your splitting problem, I always overlap my threads so that it isn't a straight stitch. It may look a little "thicker" in the middle but you won't have the straight line down the middle.

that all said, I'm nowhere near an expert in traditional embroidery. Mine is most definitely haphazard and "modern" most of the time so if anyone has better techniques/ideas, please say something! I like to learn too  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2014 04:56:14 PM »

Usually, when I am wanting to create a clean edge with satin stitch, I outline the shape but then stitch around the outside of the outline. It seems to create a cleaner edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2014 06:42:47 PM »

There aren't really any hard and fast rules with embroidery - or any craft, I suppose - it's about you deciding what you think looks good. and the best way to do that is to experiment, to see how the differnt options look.. that way you can make an informed choice.

I don't usually outline my satin stitch, but I'm a pedantic arse about fitting the line with my stitches... I unpick a lot! I just prefer the cleaner edge I get without an outline, i think it emphasises the texture. i sometimes do as dragonchilde suggested and outline then sew over, to create a more raised area - it provides another way to add interets and texture; without an outline sits really smoothly on the fabric, wheras with one underneath it has more bounce - so... I might do a lake or a mirror without, but a tree's foliage with an outline.

different makes and thread-numbers of variegated thread have longer or shorter colour changes

as to carrying the thread or not, that depends on the kind of fabric I am using; some I need to, some thicker or studier fabrics I don't need to. But... I wouldn't worry about wasting thread - I always think, if I am going to spend all these hours making something, I will spend the few extra pennies to buy more thread if I need too rather than skimping and then having results I'm not as happy with. Your craft is worth that little bit extra Smiley

there's been great work going on here guys
Erin, your painting and drawing is coming on leaps and bounds (and you were pretty darn good to start!) - I'm really enjoying watching your progress Smiley

I'm really excited to see how those toys come out looking technicolour - don't you find the blanks really intimidating? Geee, I struggle with drawing on a fresh sketchbook so I can't imagine how nervous I'd be going at something like that!

magpirate, drawing in teh snow is such a cute idea! and I'm in awe of  your woodcarving

Jennie, I can't even talk to you, your skill leaves me without words

Tiamatfire - whoa! 28 count!! geeeeeeeeze. Your work looks beautiful. How are your planning on framing it?
And Pottermount, how awesome is that! HPC for the win
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Moonflame
« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2014 07:21:09 PM »

Yes, ALL are welcome to the Huffle Party!! Cheesy  Acadian, he can be such a diva.  You wear whatever shades you like. ^_^  I see that a Slytherin prefect is trying to shush us, but I think we can work things out. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
netchez
« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2014 06:47:19 AM »

OWL Subject & Option (if available): Transfiguration option 1
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: the Slythering Afghan
Project Page Link (if available): looking for it now
Brief Description: when thinking of an afghan for ALB I thought is how he is a "snake" (Slytherin) and how his afghan should match. When I saw an afghan with a wavy pattern I decided he should get a slithering snakelike pattern in Slytherin colors. I did not finish it for Christmas but he got it by 12th night. I think it looks pretty good. He is sick (as we all are... Going thru the household) and was cold but he said it warmed him up. It took 9 hanks of "I Love This Yarn" brand yarn.
Project Picture:

Sorry about the mature tag... I didn't realize that's what it meant.   Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014 08:03:02 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #457 on: January 13, 2014 10:53:23 AM »

Quidditch is up to date! Yes, indeed, you can submit House-unity items you make as well. The owl would have worked too, even if not on a branch, because owls fly just like brooms! Wink

Since I'm nursing a sleeping baby and can't go much anywhere, I'll take the chance to give my awws and oooohs! And maybe even turn out a few projects Smiley
coulsenl: I love the dropstich blanket. Red and white are always a favorite!
pottermouth: I'm thrilled to see that owls. I know it'll be awesome. And if you need any help with that Waldorf Doll, it'll be my great pleasure to help you, I mean it! Doll clothing and knitting pattern, anything! But I know you'll do great. Because you always do great!!! Are you using a specific pattern? Will it have a nose??? Okay... I'll stop now. I just love waldorf dolls! Tongue
DragonChilde: What a lovely name for a goat.
blupaisan: It's a nice idea
Erinaquaart: My daughter loves your unicorn Smiley and I love the owl
Technicolors: She loves your pink one even more, because it's pink! ahah
Avesthel: it's a very pretty piece of jewelry
Magpirate: Those granola bars make me hungry, and I'm impessed by the wood carving!
Mistress Jennie: I LOVE the earrings! Are those chunks of philosophal stones, or ruby from the score jars?
Naantje: Luna is beautiful
tiamatfire: It's very cute. I'm not capable of those kind of perfectionism Tongue
Linakins: The doll is very lovely. I wore only pants too when I was 11.
netchez: yay for owl complition. I love the result!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #458 on: January 13, 2014 04:18:25 PM »

Beautiful embroidery, vincentvanbuck! I don't do much satin stitch, but when I do, I peek at noodle-bug's work and try to figure out what she does.  Cheesy

netchez, wowzers! Shocked  Amazing afghan!

Maman, thanks so much for offering your help (I may be a nuisance with all the pm's I send you...) Of the few Waldorf dolls I've made, I generally mash-up a few different body patterns. Most of their clothes have been made using Making Waldorf Dolls book, but I'd like to find some knitted patterns for this doll. He's also getting a cape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2014 05:34:30 PM »

First check ravelry- Really there's ton of them free. But I found out knitting from scratch to be quite effective too.

Challenge: DA-Signature!
House:Gryffindor
Name: milie, the Winter Doll
Link:http://demilunes.co/2014/01/13/emilie/
desc: When I saw this challenge, I knew I had to turn in a doll! And this is my latest, completed today! She has, like any doll I make, an organic cotton body fill with wool. She is made according to the Waldorf doll technique (or german/europeen style). I made her for a friend that is making us a wooden dollhouse in exchange. Her clothing is mostly knitted with leftover yarn. She even has knitted panties! (more picture at the link)

Class: Arithmancy
House: Gryffindor
Name: Dollhouse familly
Desc: 5! We are now 5 in our family. I always love this number, as it is the usual number of the star in the pentacle, representing earth, air, fire, water and what's holding them together. This project uses the number 5 as each member of our family is depicted as a tiny bendable, fully unclothable dollhouse doll.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014 05:35:25 PM by MamanTattoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make BBQ Beef in a Crockpot
Jersey Breakfast Recipe
Roasted Chicken Recipe
How to Make Tuna Salad
How to Make Pork Loin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...