A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 78602 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Magpirate
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2014 07:59:08 AM »

Cute MLP, blupiasan!  And I LOVE the cabinet, it looks so cheerful now!

ErinAquaheart, your artwork is lovely.  When I look at the mushroom painting I feel like the one with sunglasses is a musician or a DJ and the rest are dancing to his sweet sweet tunes.  Cheesy  I love all the detail you put into your work, they look great!  And I bet those cookies were yummy!

TechnicolorAquahearts - "Polar Vortex" sounds a lot more impressive and legitimate than "stupid cold," which is how I've been describing the recent weather...  That chicken and rice looks super tasty, it's making me hungry.  Your unicorn painting is really cute!

I love the ring, Avesthel!  It looks really elegant.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Unity
Ravenclaw Scavenger Hunt - Metallics
Quidditch - Bludger to Slytherin!  (assuming I understand the rules correctly - house-themed itmes can score points in any match, right? or does it have to be broom-related?)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Mobius Ball Jewelry Set
Project Page Link: Yep
Brief Description: My brother and his wife spent Christmas with her family this year (they alternate who they visit for important holidays), and since they weren't getting back home until after New Year's I was able to delay the sending of my gift to them long enough to make this chainmail necklace and earring set for my sister-in-law.  I used anodized aluminum rings in Slytherin green and silver (plus some Ravenclaw blue!).
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms class
Project Name: Snowy Art
Brief Description: During the Polar Vortex it snowed about an inch here in Tennessee.  I tried to make a snowman but it was way too powdery so I drew on my car instead.  I drew a penguin on a toboggan and another penguin making a snow penguin!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: New Year's Resolution challenge
Project Name: Delicious Granola Bars
Brief Description: One of my resolutions this year is to eat less sugar.  I'm not trying to cut sugar out of my diet completely, since it's added to everything from soup to breakfast cereal, but I am eliminating things where sugar is the point - candy, cookies, cake, and the like.  Unfortunately I have a sweet tooth and I get the munchies a lot.  I made these honey-sweetened granola bars so I can have something healthier than candy to snack on that's still sweet enough to satisfy me.
Project Picture:

Homemade Granola Bars

2 cups oatmeal
2/3 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts or whatever)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup peanut butter (I used the natural kind)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup raisins
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (no shells)

Mix oats and nuts with melted butter.  Spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet and toast at 350*F for 20 minutes.  In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients.  Add toasted ingredients and mix well.  Press into lightly greased 8"x8" baking pan and bake for another 20 minutes at 350*F.  Cool slightly and cut into bars.  (They are MUCH easier to cut before they're fully cool!)  Cool completely in pan.  Store in an airtight container.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Divination class
Quidditch - Score a goal for Ravenclaw!
Project Name: Celtic Knotwork Woodcarving
Project Page Link: Here
Brief Description: I figured it was about time I posted a woodcarving this semester.  I'm in the middle of a different carving that I really should've proposed as a NEWT because it's taking me ages to get it finished.  I took a break from that one to try my hand at relief carving.  Like a spider's web, the strands of this knotwork design are intricately interwoven.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2014 08:12:42 AM »

Challenge: Join the DA - Stunning Spell
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Ultimate Doctor Who Necklace

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430739.0#axzz2q6VUOQ5Q
Brief Description: For this challenge, I decided to go with something that would stun the eyes.  It's a Doctor Who charm necklace, the the 39 charms are quite shiny.  Certain to dazzle any eye, Whovian or not.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Join the DA - Impediment Jinx
Project Name: Frozen Burritos

Brief Description: For this challenge I decided to go with something that literally freezes.  As I reported earlier, my DH just got a new job just outside Nashville, and we'll be moving there over the course of the next 2 months.  He's currently commuting, but we take possession of our new apartment Monday. Soon he'll be sleeping there a few nights a week, and coming home on Friday for the weekend.  Later I'll move down, then commute to my job in Kentucky for a few weeks.  All this driving and being apart means there are sure to be nights when one or the other of us needs a quick, easy, and somewhat healthy dinner at the ready.  So in order to stock up on easy dinner options, I made a freezer full of burritos!  10 for each of us, making a total of 20 meals tucked safely in the freezer.

One of the best parts of this is that I could make them customized for each of us.  I'm trying to eat more vegetarian meals, and I'm highly lactose intolerant, so mine include vegetarian refried beans, black beans, Spanish rice, and lactose-free cheese.  Jim's have chorizo refried beans, chicken, Spanish rice and real cheese.

Project Picture:

Freezer Burritos - Makes 20
(Use the smaller amounts for meat for 10, the large amounts for meat for 20)
2 packages of burrito style tortillas
2 cans refried beans, your preference on flavor
1-2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 lbs ground chicken, beef or turkey
1-2 T olive oil
1 large diced onion
2 tsp - 2 T. chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1-2 tsp smoked paprika
1-2 8oz cans tomato sauce
Several dashes of hot sauce, if desired
salt & pepper to taste
1 batch Spanish Rice (I used this recipe: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/rice/spanish-rice/)

Start by heating a large skillet with the olive oil.  Add in the onion and cook until translucet.  Add the ground meat, and break up into smaller pieces.  Season with the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Mexican oregano paprika, and cumin.  Once the meat is cooked through, add the tomato sauce and hot sauce, reduce heat and simmer till the sauce is thicker and there is little liquid running around the pan.  

Meanwhile, set up a little burrito-making station.  Made a stack of 20 pieces of foil to wrap them in, and lay out all your toppings.  Warm up some tortillas, abut 5 at a time, inside 2 sheets of damp paper towel, for 10 seconds per tortilla.  Once your rice & meat are done, start making burritos!

Spread some of the refried beans on the tortilla, add on the other toppings, and fold up the burritos, wrapping them in the foil underneath.  Carefully label them, if they are all different.  Allow to cool for a few minutes, before putting them into the freezer.  To reheat, remove from foil, wrap in moist paper towel, and microwave for 2 minutes.  Flip and microwave another 1 minute.  Allow to rest 2-3 minutes before eating.  Cheesy

Challenge: Join the DA - Help the Room of Requirement
Project Name: Slippers for Jim

Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430738.msg5143652#msg5143652
Brief Description: While we will be moving soon, our current house is freezing.  I mean really-freakin-cold.  The basement is unheated and there's little to no insulation in the floors, making the whole house feel colder, even with the heater and two space heaters going.  (It also doesn't help that the house has only one heat grate, which is in a hallway.)  So, I decided a pair of slippers was vitally needed to help keep DH warm.  They are the Opa House Slipper Pattern by Mamachee on Etsy.  And while these were truly needed to keep DH warm, I also desperately required help on their construction.  Fortunately the Room of Requirement lent me pinkleo, who helped me through the pattern by making me a tutorial!!!  What a lucky girl I am to have such a good friend!  Kiss
Project Picture:

Challenge: House Pride
Project Name: Witchy Earrings Set

Brief Description: I try hard to show my Gryffindor Pride, even when out among the muggles.  I frequently use subtly geeky jewelry to help me with that.  This is 3 new pairs of earrings I made myself to keep the magic alive.  Cauldrons, the Sorcerer's Stone(s), and Winged Keys!
Project Picture:

Class: Muggle Studies
Project Name: Mooless Chocolate Pie

Project Page Link (if available): Alton Brown's Moo-less Chocolate Pie
Brief Description: As previously mentioned, I'm really lactose intolerant.  If I accidentally ingest milk, I generally lay around wanting to die for several hours.  This has cut into the amount of treats I'm able to enjoy out in the world as well.  (Seriously, you have no idea how awful it is when your friends want to go out for ice cream or pizza, and you either tell them you can't go, or that you will all have to go to an expensive restaurant that offers a vegan alternative because you can't digest that spicy milk.)  I don't miss ice cream, yogurt or milk, but I do miss desserts like tiramisu, Boston cream pie, and chocolate pie.  And chocolate in general.  Dark chocolate is okay on occasion, but sometimes you really just want creamy milk chocolate, and not some intensely dark bitter bar instead.  And vegan candy which has faux milk chocolate is freakin expensive!  This is one of my favorite ways to indulge, and share my desert with my friends, who can't even tell that it's not full of milk.

The recipe uses Ghiradelli chocolate chips, honey or agave, coffee liqueur and some silken tofu.  I also usually add an extra tablespoon of dried coffee crystals to up the mocha flavor.  Even if you think you don't like tofu, I really recommend you give the recipe a shot.  It's light, flavorful and indulgent, and no one will know what's in it!
Project Picture:

(Sorry, only got a before shot....)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014 08:53:06 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2014 08:34:42 AM »

I looooove that snow art! I do that all the time on beach sand. Having been around snow all my life, why did I never do it in snow? it came out great...so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2014 09:34:48 AM »

Happy new year everyone!

Class - runes
House - slytherin
Project name - bbq ribs
Nothing says joy and hope like bringing in the new year with friends and the people i love most. I hosted a potluck to celebrate and made some ribs for the main dish.
My recipe.
Sauce -
Ketchup
Orange juice
Brown sugar
Soy sauce
Chilli powder
Mix it all together. Pour sauce over the ribs. Cook at 350f for 2 hours

@Coulsenl: Your ribs look delish, but I'm sorry to say that a list of ingredients does not constitute a recipe.  A recipe would allow someone to recreate what you made themselves.  You must either include a recipe or a link to the specific recipe you used, in order to have your entry count.  Please edit your post to include amounts, and I'll go back and add House Points for this entry. 

Happy New Year everybody! Hope everyone is well and warm !

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Shield Charm
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: fingerless gloves....

@butterflyangel: Your fingerless gloves look amazing dear!  I wouldn't have the patience to knit fingers.  I'm quite certain I'll stick to sewing and crochet instead.  While recording House Points though, I noticed that you haven't completed the Join the DA challenges from Fall Semester yet.  The Join the DA Challenge series indicates that you must complete the challenges in the order they are assigned, in order to move on with the series.  It looks as though you did the Fear of a Name Challenge, then skipped the Drink at the Hogs Head and Sign the Parchment Challenges.  In order for you to get points for your gloves, and your Reducio Charm project, you'll need to complete those two other challenges.  You can find all the details in the Challenge Post in the Deputy Headmistresses Office
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflyangel
« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2014 10:22:20 AM »

@Mistress Jennie: Ohhh gotcha! Sorry, I didn't know, I thought we could just choose. I must have not read the instructions carefully
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: January 11, 2014 10:30:23 AM »

@Mistress Jennie: Ohhh gotcha! Sorry, I didn't know, I thought we could just choose. I must have not read the instructions carefully

No worries!  I've carefully listed your later projects, but coded them in grey and not assigned points yet.  Once the other projects are posted, I'll go back in and change them from grey to black, and put in points.  (Just do me a HUGE favor, and put a note in your post asking pinkleo or I to "give you back" your points for the other projects, so we don't forget. Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflyangel
« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2014 10:50:16 AM »

No worries!  I've carefully listed your later projects, but coded them in grey and not assigned points yet.  Once the other projects are posted, I'll go back in and change them from grey to black, and put in points.  (Just do me a HUGE favor, and put a note in your post asking pinkleo or I to "give you back" your points for the other projects, so we don't forget. Cheesy)

No prob! Thankss again!  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2014 01:06:03 PM »

I get to update my New Year's Resolution project with action shots! I got to cuddle with my goddaughter a lot today, and was able to gift her the handmade sweater.

She's just the happiest, softest little baby. Her sweater fits just right! She won't be able to wear it very long, it'll be for immediate use, but that'll come in handy in the current cold. (Nowhere near American/Canadian temperatures, we're just above the freezing point, but it's cold enough to warrant a warm sweater!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2014 01:15:19 PM »

Change of OWL Studies for me ... "Accio Fabric" still does not produce the Batman fabric needed for the girls' quilts/quillows, so I give this one a break for the time being. Hopefully, during the current "declutter and cull" hubby and I are doing in the house, I'll find the fabric and can then add it to my study list again. Wink

My new O.W.L is:

OWL Subject & Option(if available): POTIONS - Option 1
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Doctor Who Scarf
Brief Description: I have seen "holynarf" 's washcloths on Ravelry, and I am now planning to knit a scarf made from the individual patterns as a present. It will be a bit of trial and error as I'll be using thicker thread and a bigger needle size due to the warming effect of the scarf (so tension will be an issue etc).

My plan so far is to use 10-15 individual patterns, but might end up using more as I found another Ravelry user who does the same type of style to Holynarf for Doctor Who.

Week 1: Plan scarf layout and purchase materials
Week 2 - 3 (or longer): Knit the scarf

Now ... let's hope I have something to show on Advanced Studies Fridays now. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2014 01:23:44 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress...

Whew!  I just finished updating House Points and OWLs/NEWTs.  All in all it was several hours of work and now I feel like I need a nap!  If anyone has been waiting to hear about their OWL/NEWT proposal, please check to make sure it is now listed on the first page.  And I have a special favor to ask you all, to help make updating easier on Headmistress pinkleo & I.  If you post multiple projects in a single post (which is awesome), if you could try to list them alphabetically in terms of Class/Challenge, it would make our job easier.   Grin

~*Deputy Headmistress Mistress Jennie casts the Homonculous Charm - We are here!*~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet: Hook Size and Chaining
How to Make Incense
How to Make Disappearing Ink
How to Make Curtains
How to Make Kissing Cards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...