A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 73095 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #360 on: January 04, 2014 09:19:07 PM »

Hi Everybody!!!!! 

I've been super busy teach a cow how to nurse calves, building fence to keep in goats, and herding goats out of the road when they skirt RIGHT past said fence.  Those ornery animals!!!  lol  We've had SO many goats giving birth lately that we have kids coming out our ears!!!!  (well, almost)  So glad I can drop in really quick and drop off a few projects that I was able to finish while distracting the smalls with holiday *gasp* TV!!!!  *oh the horror*  lol Smiley  Hope everyone has been having FUN!!!!  I've LOVED all the cards I got in the mail!!!!!  Cheesy  (plus I think it confused my post mistress.  Always a bonus!!! : )

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Apparition Class
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Rat Blankets
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: While picking up calves, I had to travel north, and it was SO COLD!!!  Snowflakes rained down on our truck and cars caked thick with snow traveling from further north sped past us, huge chunks of ice falling off them to smash onto the road.  We later learned that MANY people from the north of where we were, were out of power. Sad  Some for several days.  As we again traveled south we witnessed a caravan of firetrucks and electrical trucks speeding north to the aid of thousands.  While we were north, it was cold.  Because it was cold everyone bundled in fleece.  Festive fleece.  It inspired me to sew a festive fleece floor covering for AnnoyingLittleBroth er's pet rat Claudia's home, so her tiny little feet didnt get cold.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Defence Against the Dark Arts (DADA)
Project Name: Foraging Toy
Brief Description: While decorating Claudia's home for Christmas I discovered a gaping hole on a wall.  Well THAT couldn't be left so I built her a foraging toy.  I took a box that I found at a thrift store that has a magnetic closure and wrapped it with bright and festive wrapping paper.  This was a tedious and messy job.  Smiley lol  I traced a circle on the lid, and cut it out with an exacto knife.  I also used the exacto knife to drill 4 holes in the back (bottom) of the box so I could tie it to the cage wall.  After I attached the box, I shredded red printer paper and stuffed the little box, and closed the door.  She likes her foraging box a lot.  Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms Class
Project Name: Claudia's Burrow Box
Brief Description: This Chinese take out gift box started out life orange, covered with black smiling pumpkins.  I traced the sides onto poster board, cut out and taped the poster board together and covered IT with wrapping paper.  I then glued this onto the take out box.  I did this for BOTH the inside and outside, separately.  It was a much more complicated project than I thought it would be when I picked up the Chinese take out box at the thrift store.  I was able to watch A Claymation Christmas TWICE while building this project.  O.O  Smiley  I used ribbon and a wooden bead to attach it to the wall and FILLED it full of crinkled up tissue paper.  Smiley  She LOVES burrowing under all the paper.  Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride:  Herbology Class
Project Name: Claudia's Ball Pit
Brief Description: This project started with a shiny gift box I found at the dollar store.  I reinforced the inside of the box with poster board.  I traced circles on two sides, then cut pie slices from the center to the edges of the drawn circle.  I then wrapped the pie slices to the inside of the box and glued them in place.  Not only did doing this make the holes stronger, but it also enabled the wrapping paper to wrap around the edge of the hole so it looks nicer.  I drilled holes with the exacto knife, and used ribbon to attach it to the wall.  I then filled it full of cotton balls.  Claudia loves to climb in  through the hole and BURST the lid off and go scampering off with cotton balls out through the top of the box.  Smiley 
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Astronomy Class
Project Name: Claudia's Rat (rhymes with cat) Bed
Brief Description: When I googled Europa, I was filled with a sense of cold.  Very round, and very cold.  I'm shivering now just thinking about it.  I didn't want Claudia to be cold, so I sewed her a round rat bed (just like our cats' beds) and lined it with the white fake fur that is at the top of Christmas stockings (it came off an actual stocking too!!!) to keep her warm at night.  Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Divination Class
Project Name: Claudia's sling
Brief Description: One of the basic toys, for many critters it seems, is a basic sling.  Like a spider web, it stretches from wall to wall, and like a spider Claudia balances on it in order to reach her hanging bells.  Smiley  It has a fun, festive print on one side and snugly red Christmas stocking fabric on the other. Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Gravy Bean
Project Name: Claudia's Hanging Sock
Brief Description: While googling toys I came to the knowledge that ferrets have very cool toys.  One of the favorite toys, it seems, of ferrets, sugar gliders, and parakeets (explain that one to me) is hanging socks, or tubes.  SO I set out to sew one for Claudia.  It has a happy Christmas print on the outside and warm red Christmas stocking fabric on the inside to keep her toasty warm on cold nights.  Smiley 
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #361 on: January 04, 2014 09:29:14 PM »

Hello Everyone! Grin
popping in to oooooooo & ahhhhhhh

@coulsenl: mmmm.... those ribs look delish! Grin

@Audania1: Your DADA OWL is amazing!  What a lucky partner! Grin

@Ant Bee: ((HUGS)) so happy to see you! Kiss

@Moonflame: I have been meaning to make those face pads.  How do you like them? Smiley

@Naantje: What a wonderful resolution!  Merel's knit cardigan is beautiful! Grin

@Acadian Driftwood: I adore the colors and patterns of your blocks of strips...you certainly have a fantastic eye! Grin

@jellybean89: Hooray & Congrats for completing you Potions OWL! Grin

@ErinAquaheart: OMGoodness! Shocked I love your Care Bear Memento Hoopla! Cool

@WhistleFish: I absolutely love, love, LOVE my card.

@Magpirate: Cheesy Your Cucumber Christmas tree is so cute & clever.  I must remember this for next year.  And I adored my card; thank you!

@noodle-bug: I adore your stitching and color transitions in your Ohm Case Grin

@pottermouth: I LOVE your Arthur Rackham ATB!!!  (ATB you say!  ...so many crafty adventures to take!)

@butterflyangel: Way to go on conquering the glove knit spell! YOU ROAR! Grin

@MamanTattoo: mmmmmmm..homemade marshmallows are the best! Grin

@midkiffsjoy: awwww.... Claudia is so very lucky! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #362 on: January 04, 2014 09:46:20 PM »

I have been busy!  Not crafting though, in fact I have finished the total of ONE item!!!  I'll be happy when everything settles back into its normal routine, which will be Tuesday for me.  Fingers crossed I can sit down and craft, craft, craft tomorrow!  First up, finish jennie's tutorial...sorry for the delay jennie Kiss

Challenge: DA-Shield Charm
SPEW: Bundles of Joy (ravlery link)
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: BoJ Baby Beanie
Brief Description: I did a bit of wandwork and cast my Shield Charm, creating a baby hat that will protect a little one from the cold.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

netchez
« Reply #363 on: January 04, 2014 10:23:13 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott Bean - Gravy
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Red Hat
Brief Description: I lost my hat and the wind gave me an earache so I decide to make another in a red earth tone yarn that I had.  The crown is done in half double crochet and the ribbing in double crochet.  I used an I hook, which made it a little looser than the other hats I have done but still comfortable.  My ears are enjoying it.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: January 05, 2014 06:15:35 AM »

Brief Description: What is an ATB? That's what I asked a few days ago, and learned it is an Artist Trading Block or chunky ATC. Our lovely Headmistress Jennie knows all about them and I hope she shares hers here too! My beginner one was inspired by the beautiful art of Arthur Rackham.

I love your first ATB pottermouth!  I just received a box of wood blocks from quaggy yesterday.  I wanted to jump right into playing with them, but I have some folks waiting for me to finish a few special order bracelets first.  I'm determined to finish the special orders today, so that tomorrow I can clean off my table and start with at least a base coat of paint on them, before putting together my Bead Soup Swap packages.  Should be able to really dig into ATB's on Tuesday.  AND, I think I even picked my theme for the one I'm making my partner.  AND it was inspired by noodle-bug!  That's all I'll say for now, until it's done.  Cheesy

Fingers crossed I can sit down and craft, craft, craft tomorrow!  First up, finish jennie's tutorial...sorry for the delay jennie Kiss

No worries beautiful!  I haven't had time to get further than the soles anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2014 06:22:13 AM »

Okay - question time!  You guys both used Martha Stewart's marshmallow recipe; I've used it as well (there is no comparison for homemade marshmallows!!).  But when I make it, it's so thick that when I transfer from the mixing bowl to a pan, I can't get it flat - it mostly stays exactly like I put it in there and I can't even it out.  How do you guys the tops so flat and perfect looking?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #366 on: January 05, 2014 08:57:34 AM »

Midkiffsjoy, i want to be your rat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2014 11:35:15 AM »

Okay - question time!  You guys both used Martha Stewart's marshmallow recipe; I've used it as well (there is no comparison for homemade marshmallows!!).  But when I make it, it's so thick that when I transfer from the mixing bowl to a pan, I can't get it flat - it mostly stays exactly like I put it in there and I can't even it out.  How do you guys the tops so flat and perfect looking?!

I can't answer your question for Martha's recipe, but I have made Alton Brown's recipe several times.    It's left me with a nice flat top.  Can't say enough good things about AB actually.  Here's a link to his recipe, in case you want to try it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
tiamatfire
« Reply #368 on: January 05, 2014 12:26:28 PM »

Those marshmallows all look wonderful!  Do the eggs get cooked up by the heat of the sugar syrup?  I'd love to try to make marshmallows but I'm wondering if I should wait until I deliver.

I love the swanky rat cage as well, and the various hats and mittens!  It's COLD up here in most of Canada, and it sounds like a good portion of the US is about to get blasted too.

I have a few more projects to turn in, all of which I totally love (I'm a perfectionist so I'm not always 100% happy with my crafts).

Class: Arithmancy NEWT
Name: Snowflake Afghan

This afghan was something entirely new for me, I've never made a whole afghan, and I've never crocheted anything larger than a little baby blanket before!  It went pretty well, though when I was in the hospital in December I ended up having to rip out nearly as much as I crocheted, because I kept making mistakes - I blame the medication Wink  It's quite large, though I wish it was wider.  I used up a full ball of Lion Brand's "Pound of Love" in white.  I have woven in the ends, but have not cut them yet as I had to use less than a meter of another white acrylic to finish the very last row of the last repeat.  It's not very visible in person, but because it's a photo prop I'm not sure if it'll stand out there from the studio lights.  Just in case, I want to know where the ends are so I can rip out the last repeat if need be.

Challenge: DA Shield Charm
Name: Squish cowl

My aunt gave me some crazy soft yarn called Cascade Eco Duo, and I was looking for a reasonably fast project.  It's very drapey as it's 80% baby alpaca/20% baby merino, and with our temperatures into the -30C's with windchill I thought one of those big cowls you can double over would be perfect!  It's just a long chain joined in the round, worked in HDC.  It's so very, very buttery and soft, and incredibly warm from the alpaca.  I love it!  I have two balls left, which is enough I think for mittens AND a slouchy beret too.

Challenge: Protean Charm
Name: "My Favourite Things" charm bracelet

The wonderful Mistress Jennie donated a prize last semester, and I was lucky enough to win a personalized loaded charm bracelet kit!  I gave her a big list of all the things I love, colours, I like, etc. and she built me an amazing kit!  I had SO much fun making the bracelet, and am now addicted.  It's OK, I have a huge stash for everything else so I can move some of my "allowance" into beads and charms Cheesy

It's perfect for the Protean charm because although it's a pretty bracelet to look at, some of the charms have hidden meanings.

There are flower and star beads because I love both things, and they are all in my favourite colours.  The charms are:

tea set, safety pin, book, measuring tape, kitty, squirrel, music, owl, fish, lightning bolt, sweater, scissors, and stand mixer.

Most you could probably guess from looking at them that they are something I like to eat, drink, or do, but a few are hidden: my husband's favourite animal is a squirrel, and I'm sure it would be his patronus.  Fish USED to be my daughter's favourite animal, but now she's completely abandoned them!  I'm going to be swapping it for a dragon, to represent Smaug.  The music is because I have my Grade 10 RCM piano certificate, and took voice in University as well as belonging to the Unversity's Mixed Chorus.  The safety pin isn't for sewing, but because I have one (soon to be two) child(ren).

Challenge: DA Fred and George Fight Back
Name: Pecan Apple Spice muffins

Muffins wouldn't normally be a big project for me, but at 7 months pregnant, with a toddler, and needing to cook up one of the stir-ins before I even make the muffins it starts to get that way!  Plus, the first batch was so delicious I ended up cooking another batch of the apples up so I could cook another batch of muffins, so it ended up being a pretty epic project.

For one batch I cut up one granny smith apple, diced it finely, and cooked it over medium-low heat in a skillet with butter, cinnamon, ground allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and some maple syrup.  Once they apple were just starting to soften I took them off the heat.  Then I chopped up a handful of pecans, somewhere between a rough and fine chop.  I stirred these into my muffin batter, and then added in more of the same spices and baked!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
butterflyangel
« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2014 01:29:09 PM »

@tiamatfire: your bracelet is so pretty!! Jealouss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Ice Cream Using a Plastic Bag
Create the Ultimate Ice Cream Sundae Bar
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Classic Banana Split Recipe
How to Make Ice-Cream Out of a Tin Can!
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...