A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 78813 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WhistleFish
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2014 09:22:56 PM »

HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW HPC'ers!

Sorry I'm late. I was so busy over holiday break I missed the Hogwarts Express and had to complete many tasks before I could come back! But I'm here!!!

First off, a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who participated in the Card Exchange! I love having so many wonderful cards from you ladies and I think it's always neat when we mix in a little of "real life". You all made my holiday even better. Cheesy

Secondly, I've got seven pages to catch up on so let me settle in and get to work:

@rockmygypsysoul: Beautiful wedding gifts! I got married this past summer and I was a little sad I didn't get any handmade gifts so it's awesome that you took the time to make them some. Smiley

@butterflyangel: I can't work with clay whatsoever...it brings out my angry crafting side so anytime I see something neat like you made, I'm even more in awe. Lol. I especially love the wolf mug!

@noodle-bug: What an awesome gift! I'm jealous! Also, I got your postcard today...so cool!!! Thank you! Beautiful socks! Your presents wrapped up look so beautiful! I'll have to get a bit better on my wrapping for next year. You've inspired me.

@tiamatfire: Yay! Now you just have to stay out of St. Mungos! I'm glad you're doing better. Smiley Your blanket and pillows are my most favorite Christmas craft I have seen so far ever. So beautiful! The color scheme/tones are my favorite colors and you did such an awesome great awesome job. If you notice it ever missing, you may want to check my bed because i may have to steal them. Also: such a cute crown! Second also: I LOVE the yarn you picked out for your OWL. Congrats on WoTW!!! You definitely deserve it! Cheesy

@Mistress Jennie: I'm jealous of you and Magpirate! I wish I had a crafter friend nearby! Also, best Bean ever. I'll be sure to submit something. Lol.

@Naantje: Thank you so much for my card!! I believe it may be the best, most thoughtful card I've received this Christmas and my daughter loved it too. She saw the little girl on it and screamed "Baby!" which she does with most pictures of any person, but it was super cute nonetheless. Love the scarf!

@BadWolf314: So many awesome crafts so I'll just declare a favorite: I love the white hat! Nothing better than a winter hat with a big puff on top!

@pinkleo: Beautiful Christmasy washclothes and AWESOME little trees! Where did you get the felt that you used? It looks nice and thick!

@Acadian Driftwood: Gorgeous pincushion!!! I'd be afraid to use it and break the figurine...I get a bit crazy while crafting sometimes. Lol. Also, fantastic wallet! It looks VERY well made. Smiley Love love love the mini houses. So creative!
@jellybean89: Looks fancier than just a half double! Lol. I've got to try it with the backloops! Awesome companion cube, too! My husband would love it.

@pottermouth: How is your "Grandma Love" not an OWL? Crossstitch takes forever! (At least it takes me forever!) It turned out AWESOME! I love your ornaments too! One of my goals this year is to make more of my gifts (I'm going to try for a "handmade" year so we'll see how far I get. Hehe.

@Audania1: I LOVE the Christmas tree kits! If I had friends with kids I'd totally give those out for Christmas. I also hate that I can't just jump into the internet because I want to open the needlebook and take a look inside so bad. Is that weird? Lol. It's gorgeous! You've been up to so many crafts but I think my favorite of the most recent ones would be the fairy shrine...I LOVE things like this. They're just so neat. Your cover for your swap book is AMAZING. So many stories and possibilities just float around my head when I look at that image.

@pinkleo: I love those Christmas trees! What kind of felt did you use? It looks so thick and awesome! YAY for new advanced studies! Can't wait to see them ESPECIALLY the Molly sweater. (Jennie - you'll have to post a picture of you wearing it!) Also, I have the PERFECT project I'm already working on for the New Year Challenge. Yay!

@Nicajeanie: SO FREAKING AWESOME! Come decorate my house next year? I'm also in love with your ornament. I don't think I'd ever have the patience or skill to make something like that. Congrats on WoTW!!! You definitely deserve it! Cheesy

@Moonflame: What are you going to do with all these puffs when you're done? They looks so cute together. Those little puff/pads! I saw those in a magazine just this week and I thought about making some! Let us know how they work! (I think it was Mollie Makes?)

@Magpirate: What a fun kitty toy!

@coulsenl: Shepards Pie...mmmmmm. Also, I didn't know they had spray icing (like the stuff you used for your ladybugs)...I want to see if I can get some, it sounds so cool! And those ribs! I've been on a rib kick lately. They look so good!

Okay....4 more pages to catch up on...almost done!

@DragonChilde: The apple cider caramels sound like the best thing ever. I'm a bit jealous. I also REALLY like your little pendants...so cute!

@felicitybaby: Gorgeous hat! And freaking AWESOME hooplas. You're pretty much the best mom ever.

@Inselaeffchen: Awesome mug rug! I love that it's double sided.

@Linakins: Love your little felt creations!

Whew! I was going to turn in some homework too but I'm a bit worn out. That just took me over an hour so I'll be back sometime this weekend. Hope everyone's holiday's were good and your year has gotten off to a good start!

EDIT: Gryffindor Tower, HoM Classroom, and MS Classroom have also been updated at this time! If I've messed anything up please feel free to let me know!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014 09:32:16 PM by WhistleFish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #331 on: January 03, 2014 02:45:52 AM »

Challenge; gravy bean
House; ravenclaw
Project;
Storage box - a brought cardboard storage box that I've covered in atlas paper and added a able thingy

Challenge; new years
House; ravenclaw
Project
One of my resolutions is to to keep my desk/sewing table area tidier. The boxes are a means to help do that :-) this one is covered in a batik paper
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Naantje
« Reply #332 on: January 03, 2014 11:42:11 AM »

@WhistleFish: Thank you so much for the card-comment! That truly made my day, especially coming from you, as I was stunned by the amount of work that went into creating yours! That one is definitely going on the keep-pile to keep along as decoration for many Christmasses to come!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: New Year's Challenge
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Merel's knit cardigan
Project Page Link: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Naantje/nature-baby-kimono---earth-baby-kimono
Brief Description:
This project ties into my resolutions of spending time rather than money on people, and of being a great godmother to my brother's youngest daughter (now 5 months). The kid is so adorable, I'm tempted to spoil her, but I don't want to be the kind of godmother who covers their protg in expensive gifts. We don't have the means to do so (I was fired in November and I'll be starting a one year course in education in february!), my brother wouldn't let me (strict rules for grandparents and godparents: gifts are limited to birthdays and New Year's letters - Santa already comes at home, at school, at mommy's work and at daddy's work, they don't need Santa to come over for two sets of grandparents, a godmother and a godfather, that's too much!) and I'd rather be the kind of godmother who takes along the little one on experiences: sleepovers without the siblings, a trip to a science museum, doing fun stuff together.

At 5 months, Merel is still to young for most of those experiences, but the time will come! I also want to support her parents in stepping outside the traditional gender roles: the pink for girls and blue for boys, soft and caring girls and rough and exploring boys, that's okay, but there is so much more! There's a whole rainbow of colours for both sexes to share and girls can kick science's ass too, just like boys can be very gentle. The gender stereotyping prevalent in all these kids stores is horrifying! I want to offer alternatives to the little girl, so she gets to pick from everything, not just a narrow, gender-predetermined section of what's on offer. I also want to teach her the value of making things and of spending time rather than money, and what better way to start than by making her a handknit purple cardigan? It could be worn by either sex, and I'm sure she'll rock it. Gifting this on the eleventh, an update picture is sure to follow!
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 11:45:15 AM by Naantje » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Moonflame
« Reply #333 on: January 03, 2014 12:18:48 PM »

Whilstlefish Theoretically, they all go together to make a quilt, but it takes several hundred.  I'd like to do a couple of chair cushions, maybe a cat mat, and then we'll see if I'm sick of them yet, LOL!  Here's the pic from the pattern:

Noodle-bug  Great resolution, and great projects!  I love them!

Naantje  Merel is a lucky little girl to have you in her life! Smiley  And that sweater is darling! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
noodle-bug

« Reply #334 on: January 03, 2014 12:42:41 PM »

HELP!!

I'm bamboozled by what my knitting pattern means... It says
* k to last 8 st, turn leaving these  unworked and work back to last 8 st, turn, rep from * 4 times
Now, on the repeats... Is it just the same 8 stitches i leave... Or an extra 8 each time?

Theoretically i should be able to tell if the resulting sleeve end has an abrupt corner , or a gradual decrease... But to be honest I'm a bit confused about how the sleeves (dolman sleeves) are going to fit together at all - i was sort of hoping that would become obvious as it goes along...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 12:54:46 PM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Antidigger
« Reply #335 on: January 03, 2014 04:03:39 PM »

Noodlebug, I'm not really sure, but if you put in a safety line before you try, you can rip it back to the start of that section easily. Thinking about it, I suspect it's the same 8 stitches each time, but perhaps someone more experienced could confirm or deny that.

If you've never used a safety line: take a tapestry needle, thread it with something (for me embroidery floss is about the right thickness & smoothness) that is about 3 times the width of the knitting. Use the tapestry needle to go through each stitch (along the line of the knitting needle) without taking it off the needle. Tie the thread in a loose bow. Knit on until you've either decided you're right in which case, untie the bow and pull the thread out; or if you decide you're wrong, slip the knitting off the knitting needle, rip out until you can't anymore because the thread gets in the way, then pick up every stitch from the thread and try again. I use them all the time in my knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Moonflame
« Reply #336 on: January 03, 2014 04:19:22 PM »

Noodlebug, I'm not sure, either, but I found this:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATpatterns103.html

in which it appears (by the diff #s on the 3rd and 4th rows) that you stop 8 shorter each time.  However, if you go to Ravelry, you can look up Qs on the pattern if it's there (or even if it's not.)  I've asked Qs before and gotten really rapid responses.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #337 on: January 03, 2014 05:07:28 PM »

It's Friday, right?  Please God let it be Friday since then the husband will be back at work Monday.  I'm sure those of you with children understand this.  Since I work from home it's been husband non-stop 24/7.  I'm ready to throttle him.

Anyway...

OWL - Haven't gotten as much done on my felt name books as I would like - having a hard time mustering up the will after my felt tree-and-ornament sets for the 5 littlest nieces and nephew for Christmas.  I have to get going soon, though - one of them has their birthday in like a week  Roll Eyes

NEWT - I *have* done quite a bit on my NEWT.  One of the oil paintings is done except for a final glaze which I need to wait to do for awhile - the cherry blossoms.  The whale and aurora borealis are coming along okay; I've had some fun with the aurora borealis and taken more liberty with that since it's gorgeous and different all the time so I don't feel like I'm doing it a disservice and the blending of the colors makes using oil paint so much more enjoyable.  The whale is such a crisp-looking photograph (and I want to capture at least some of that) so I have to wait longer in between layers for it to dry well. 

I finally have thrown in the towel on my mountains/crevice/waterfall thing and chalked it up to a helpful lesson on certain things that aren't necessarily good for oil painting (well, oil painting by me).  Since these are my first oil paintings other than literally playing around 2 other times for like an hour, I figure I have some leeway, right?  But, in keeping with my four paintings, I have started another new one which actually is going really fast since it only has a couple of layers and colors.  It's mountains from a distance and now I know they people do those so much - it's SUCH a forgiving subject so it's much more fun.

So...that's where I am!  You can see why I'm so far behind in my OWL  Cheesy but now I will have to get down to business ASAP to get this thing sent off to Missouri!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
noodle-bug

« Reply #338 on: January 03, 2014 05:56:11 PM »

Thanks guys :-)
I'm not sure if that link directly applies moonflame, since dolman  sleeves are knitted in the other direction to most sleeves (rows run cuff to cuff, all the way over shoulders and down arms). But the site does have some interesting stuff on sleeve construction so I'm a bit clearer on the big picture now. Thanks!
I've posted to ravelery and we'll see how it goes, the safety technique is definitely a good idea jennie!  it'll be Monday or Tuesday before i can get back to it anyway now so i have time to research!:-)

Actually, the designer is a ravelery  user (her profile is linked from the pattern page there) and seems active... So i guess if all else fails I'll send her a cheeky  message....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 06:22:29 PM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #339 on: January 03, 2014 05:58:00 PM »

Yay I have OWL progress to report! I sewed up two huge (like taller than me) blocks of strips that I will cut up to use as outside fabric for my wallets. The inside will be a mishmash of coordinating fabrics from what I have leftover. Right now I have to buy more heavy interfacing before I can start cutting.

I've been thinking I need more masculine patterns in my shop, hence the green and brown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Serein Wu: My Week in Beauty Challenge Part 1
Miranda Mendoza: My Week in Beauty Challenge
Megan Moore: My Week in Beauty Challenge
Marianna Hewitt: My Week in Beauty Challenge
Mallory Cornelison: My Week in Beauty Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...