A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 72231 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jellybean89
« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2013 11:34:31 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Dumbledore's Army: Shield Charm
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Blue Scarf
Project Page Link (if available): none
Brief Description: For the shield charm, I crocheted a scarf out of blue Caron Simply Soft yarn; this scarf will help shield my friend from the cold this winter. Smiley
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #291 on: December 24, 2013 02:29:33 PM »

That crochet  crown is so cute - what a great idea

I'm just rushing  to finish my newt plarn bag - the strap needs a couple of inches still... And it's 10 30pm on Christmas eve!! Knitting like I've never knitted before....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013 06:03:23 PM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
noodle-bug

« Reply #292 on: December 24, 2013 03:48:43 PM »

... And 13 minutes to midnight, I'm done.
Technically not Christmas day so definitely a win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Antidigger
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2013 03:22:47 PM »

Hurrah Noodlebug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
noodle-bug

« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2013 06:02:24 PM »

Jellybean - as well as gorgeous crochet, you take great photos of your crafts!

Couple of quick submissions... More to come later!

Challenge; house pride
House; ravenclaw! Go eagles!
Project
I finished all those socks for my colleague! Pair one...
Ravenclaw blue, obvs!

Class; herbology
House; ra ra Ravenclaw!
Project:
And the second pair...
you can just make out a glimmer of red in the variegated yarn by the top if the back sock (admittedly it looks kind of brown in the picture due to phone camera in bad light - but its proper scarlet in real life)... And green in the foot of the front one. Bam - just slips in under the holly colours requirement :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiamatfire
« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2013 06:59:29 PM »

Cute scarf and socks guys!

I have a new OWL proposal!

Class: OWL - Herbology
House: Gryffindor
Name: Leaves scarf

I'm going to make myself a scarf with the beautiful yarn I got from my Mom and Dad for Christmas this year.  We all know that time at which magical plants are picked can affect the strength and focus of their magic, and the colours in my yarn remind me of deep fall - bright chartreuse, rich orange, yellow and ochre, and intense ruby red.  The scarf will be lace, with either green or brown beads in the borders.  It's actually a pattern I've made before, but I loved the resulting scarf and can't wait to knit another.  The pattern is Kernel, found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kernel and the yarn is Zitron Filigarn #05, found here: http://www.skacelknitting.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10656/.f?sc=2&category=50982
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2013 04:47:16 PM »

vincentvanbuck ~ Those cookies sound delicious.
nicanjeanie ~ I really life your miniature gingerbread cottage. It is adorable. Your crochet Santa hat is fantastic! I like all the cross variations in your necklace, they are very interesting to look at.
Linakins ~ That Pozole Blanco sounds wonderful! I will be sharing the Miel recipe shortly, I used it in a caramel recipe and it added a delicious molasses-y flavor.
Inselaeffchen ~ I really like your mug rug, Loki's helmet looks fantastic.
Mistress Jennie ~ That mustard sounds great! Is it very spicy? I like your junk Drawer Bracelet, it has a nice charming aura about it. I love your Europa bookmark. Cranberry pear jam sounds delicious. The snowman and snowflake bookmarks are cute. I love the colors of the jade in your pear nymph bracelet. I love love love your skull bookmark. I especially like the iridescent rose. The Dilly beans sound delicious. Your Christmas and Gymnastics bracelets are fantastic, as your bracelets always are. I like how your Cranberry Mustard looks.
Avesthel ~ Your Christmas mitts look wonderfully warm.
Moonflame ~ The little treasure pouches you made are fantastic. They look very soft. Your snitch looks fantastic! What a cute kitty! I love all your hexipuffs, especially the flop powder infused one.
WistleFish ~ The different colors on the dream catcher weren't that difficult to do, I made the moon part first and then wrapped the dream catcher portion. I love your history boxes.
Magpirate ~ That pizza looks fantastic! I like your bouncy cat toy, I also didn't know that ripe cranberries bounce.
rockmygypsysoul ~ I like the napkins and wine glasses. What a thoughtful gift.
butterflyangel ~ I like the colors in your coil bowl, and the handles of your mugs are very clever.
noodle-bug ~ Your photo album is a fantastic gift idea. I like the glittery pages. SOCKS! I love socks(santa left me sock yarn and knitting needles this year)! They are so wonderfully mismatched and look wonderfully warm.
BadWolf314 ~ I like your snitch headphone ball, it looks spectacular.  The mini stockings your made are very cute! Your sesame chicken looks great. I really like the triangle shaped book, especially the the off-kilter look it has. I also like the spoilers note book. The house rings are adorable, I really like how they are wrapped in different patterns. Soap crayons sound like a fantastic idea, too bad they don't work the greatest. Congratulations on cleaning up your craft room! I really like both the hat and headbands you made. (Also, it is my understanding that to mark a goal or send a bludger that your craft has to be a gift to someone, is this correct MamanTattoo?)
Acadian Driftwood ~ Your pincushion is cute. I love the story behind it. I really like the color of your curtain. Those Spanakopita triangles look delicious. I like the fabrics you chose for your wallet.
jellybean89 ~ I like your companion cube (and so did my brother when he looked over my shoulder). You chose a fantastic color for your headband. That scarf looks fantastic, I love the color.
pottermouth ~ Your Grandma Love cross stitch is cute. I love all the ornaments you made, I bet they look fantastic on a Christmas tree.
Audania1 ~ The make your own Christmas Tree kits are a wonderful idea. I like the fabric you used for the pincushion and I love the embroidery on your needle book. Those owls are very very cute. I want to hug them. I love the colors of your fingerless gloves.
Naantje ~ The art display turned out fantastic! I really like the art you chose.
pinkleo~ I love the colors in your Cranberry cloths. The tree ornaments are adorable. How did the Peanut Butter Brittle turn out? It looks tasty. I love the sprinkles on your candy cane bark, they make it look super festive.
Nicajeanie ~ What a fantastic door! I can see why you won 1st place.
tiamatfire ~ Your Christmas blanket and pillows are fantastic! those cherry peak cookies look yummy. Homemade instant oatmeal is a great idea! That peppermint bark looks delicious as well! I love your Christmas tree cookies as well. That white chocolate marshmallow treat sounds tasty. The nightgown you made for the Cabbage Doll is fantastic. That crown is adorable! I really like the sound of your OWL.
coulsonl ~ That shepherds pie looks delicious. Don't forget to add the recipe so that it will count for house points.
MamanTattoo ~ Do you know what the current Quidditch score is or do you wait until the end to tally points?)

Before I turn in some projects I have some exciting RL news. I got accepted to both of the Universities that I applied to as well as merit scholarships from both! I am crazy excited about it.
Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Unity
Quidditch: Catch the snitch for Gryffindor
House: Slytherin
Project Name: House Point hourglasses
Project Page Link: none
Brief Description: This year I made house point hourglass necklaces for my siblings and my mother. I also made one for myself. It is hard to tell but the one on the far left is filled with blue beads for my Ravenclaw sister. This relates directly to Quidditch because the points earned in Quidditch matches add points to the hourglasses in the great hall (MamanTattoo if this is not a direct enough connection to Quidditch, I would like to hit a bludger against Ravenclaw instead.)
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: DA- Have a Drink in the Hog's Head
Quidditch: Hit a bludger against Ravenclaw
House: Slytheirn
Project Name: Apple Cider Caramels
Project Page Link: I modified this recipe
Brief Description: I made the caramels to give to my friends and family for the holidays. They turned out soft, though still chewy enough to stick in your teeth, and are a 'light' caramel. My little sister and brother helped me wrap the caramels because well individually wrapping caramels is a major pain.
Recipe:
Apple Cider Caramels
2 cups apple cider
1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream, divided
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup real butter, cubed
2 mulling spice tea bags

- Pour cider into a medium saucepan and boil on high the cider is reduced to 1/3 c, once the cider is boiling, add the mulling spice tea bags and steep for at least 5 minutes before removing the spices. I kept pouring the cider into a measuring cup and then back into the pot to boil until I had just a little more than 1/3 c. Set aside to cool.
- Line an 8" square pan with parchment paper, making sure to leave about 1" hanging over the edges for easy removal. Coat with butter and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 2/3 c. cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and reduced apple cider. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, 1/3 c. whipping cream + enough water to reach the 1/2 c. line on the measuring cup, and honey. Cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Insert the candy thermometer and simmer until the syrup reaches 112 C.
- Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the cream mixture. Add the cubed butter and stir until the cream and butter are fully incorporated. Return the pan to heat and re-insert the candy thermometer. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the temperature reaches 120 C.
- Remove from heat and pour the caramel into the prepared pan. Let the mixture cool completely at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I covered the top of the pan loosely with saran wrap and left it out overnight. Cut the caramels into 1/2" squares and wrap each caramel in wax paper.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Muggle Studies
Quidditch: Bludger against Ravenclaw
Project Name: Apple Cider Caramels with Chai Miel
Project Page Link (if available):I modified this recipe
Brief Description: I made the caramels the muggle way, I even wrapped them without magic (with some help form my little sister). They were also given to friends and family with the other caramels, my sister's peppermint bark, and my mother's fudge. I modified the same recipe in the above project adding some Chai Miel instead of mulling spice and the result was a darker more molasses-y flavor. These caramels also got a little hotter than 120 C which makes them chewier and a little more stick in your teeth gooey. I don't have a picture of both batches of caramels together but you can tell that these are wrapped differently than the ones pictured above.
Recipes:
Apple Cider Caramels
2 cups apple cider
1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream, divided
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
chai miel
1/2 cup real butter, cubed

- Pour cider into a medium saucepan and boil on high the cider is reduced to 1/3 c. I kept pouring the cider into a measuring cup and then back into the pot to boil until I had just a little more than 1/3 c. Set aside to cool.
- Line an 8" square pan with parchment paper, making sure to leave about 1" hanging over the edges for easy removal. Coat with butter and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 2/3 c. cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and reduced apple cider. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, 1/3 c. whipping cream + enough water to reach the 1/2 c. line on the measuring cup, and a heaping spoonful of miel + enough honey to reach the 1/3 c line on the measuring cup. Cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Insert the candy thermometer and simmer until the syrup reaches 112 C.
- Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the cream mixture. Add the cubed butter and stir until the cream and butter are fully incorporated. Return the pan to heat and re-insert the candy thermometer. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the temperature reaches 120 C.
- Remove from heat and pour the caramel into the prepared pan. Let the mixture cool completely at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I covered the top of the pan loosely with saran wrap and left it out overnight. Cut the caramels into 1/2" squares and wrap each caramel in wax paper.

Crystal's Amazing Chai Miel
3 Tbl Ashwaghanda (Withania somnifera) or Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceous)
2 Tbl Devil's Club (Oplopanax horridus)
1 Tbl Cardamom (Eletaria cardamomum)
1 Tbl Licorice (Glycyrrhiza galbra)
1 Tbl Orage Peel (Citrus spp.)
1 Tbl Cinnamon Chips (Cinnamomum spp.)
1 Tbl Rose Petals (Rosa spp)
2 tsp Star Anise (Illicium verum)
1 tsp Clove (Syzygium aromaticum)
1/4 tsp Ginger (Zubgiber officinale)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)
1 Vanilla Pod (Vanilla spp.)
Dark chocolate
Honey

-Grind herbs together (a coffee grinder works great just clean it by running a handful of white rice through it before and after grinding the herbs, also you don't need to grind all the herbs separately you can grind two or three at a time). To get a fine powder, pass the powdered herb through a fine mesh strainer, using the back of a spoon to push the powder through the mesh. Herb that could not be passed through the strainer goes back into the grinder. You don't have to pass the herb through a strainer but if you don't there may be some larger chunks of herb in the miel. Mix the powdered herbs together and set aside.
-Gently 1/2-3/4 cups honey in a water bath until the honey becomes thinner (do not overheat the honey, this can destroy the good enzymes in the honey)
-Stir in the dark chocolate until the honey is a dark brown and you like the flavor
-Add the powdered herbs to the honey by the spoonful, mixing the thoroughly after each addition. Keep adding powdered herb until the honey is a think peanut butter-like consistency. If there is settling after cooling and you can see a line of honey without any herb, add more herb next time. If there is settling after cooling and you see an abundance of herb at the bottom of the jar, add less herb next time.
-Scrape the miel into a jar and store in a cool, dry place.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Gravy Bean
Quidditch: Mark a Goal for Gryffindor
Project Name: A stuffed Giraffe for Sophie
Project Page Link: I scaled down this pattern and used the accompanying tutorial
Brief Description: My oldest younger sister Sophie loves Giraffes. I made this stuffed Giraffe for her for Christmas this year. She really liked it. She carried it around all day. I didn't get a picture before I wrapped it so I snapped this picture when she way lying down on the couch because she wasn't feeling well.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms
Quidditch: Mark a goal for Gryffindor
Project Name: Tarot bag
Brief Description: I made this reversible Tarot bag for my partner in the WWP Yule Swap. One side shows the phases of the moon, cut out of white felt and sewn on with silver thread while the other side shows a stylized Tree of Life which was attached to the bag using silver thread as well. The moon phases are white and sparkly, making it appropriate for Charms class.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name: Messages in a Bottle
Brief Description: I asked earlier this term for gift ideas for my youngest sister and this is what I finally came up with. The small treasure chest is full of little bottles sitting on a bed of wool and fox fur. The fur can be removed so she can play with it or carry it around or do whatever she wants with it. One bottle contains the eye of peacock feather, one contains a small piece of fox fur, one is full of miniature vintage keys, and the remaining three are full of little notes for her. I hope that the notes will bring her joy, ward off loneliness and sorrow, and let her know that we will not ever forget about her even though we only get to see her once a month for 2 hours. The messages are; 'I love you lots n lots' 'thinking of you' 'you are made of starstuff' 'I believe in you now, always, and in all ways' 'take time, rest, relax and rejuvenate' 'you can accomplish anything you put your mind to' 'you make your own destiny, your fate is in your hands' 'life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain' 'when life pushes you to the edge.../Don't jump.../Take a deep breath and;/Stand your ground.' 'It is better to live your won destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.' 'I love you all the way to the moon and back' 'just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly' 'A successful person is just a dreamer who believed in themselves' 'Let your/light shine./Be a source/of strength/and courage./Share your/wisdom./Radiate love.' 'Time and distance mean nothing between sisters, we are always in each other's hearts' and 'I smile because you're my sister and laugh because there's nothing you can do about it'
Project Picture:

I have not made any progress on my NEWT lately Cry but should be getting back to it soon (I hope).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
noodle-bug

« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2013 05:04:33 PM »

congratulations dragonchilde
Well done getting into your unis :-) and the scholarships. I was in the same position many moons ago and remember how special it felt to get to choose between wonderful opportunities - enjoy!

And great craft projects too - i especially love the hourglass pendants
THIS ROCKS   Logged

felicitybaby
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2013 06:50:14 PM »

I have a few projects to turn in:

Class/Challenge/House Pride:  Divination
House:Hufflepuff
Project Name: Hufflepuff Hat
Project Page Link (if available): I made the hat from this book:http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Boutique-Simple-Stylish-Accessories/dp/1600599265/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1388110726&sr=8-5&keywords=crochet+books (its the one on the cover)
Brief Description: This hat was made like a spider makes it's web --round and round creating a lacy pattern
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride:  Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name: Gravity Falls Book of 3 (fake book)
Brief Description:  I made this for my Gravity Falls obsessed daughter, a replica of the mysterious "Book of 3" on Gravity Falls--it's is actually a box to hide all her secret things in.  The details on the cover and spine were painted with gold leaf paint representing the color of newborn unicorns.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Potions
Project Name: Gravity Falls Hoopla
Brief Description:  I also made this for my daughter for Christmas (she squeed when she opened it).  It's hard to see the wording on the busy background fabric but it says "I chewed my gum so it looks like a brain".  I love the quote and it is the very reason why my daughter loves that show because Mabel is always saying weird stuff like that.  I made the gum out of Model Magic clay.  I had to be precise when cutting out each part of her face from the different colors of felt so that all the pieces would fit together like a puzzle when I sewed them onto the fabric
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride:  DADA
Project Name: Catbug Hoopla
Project Page Link:  http://loveandasandwich.deviantart.com/art/Catbug-Hoops-365726450 (her work also inspired the GF hoopla above)
Brief Description:  I also made this for my daughter, she loves Catbug too.  It is a cute little hoopla to decorate one the few boring walls in her room.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride:  Gravy Bean
Project Name: Catbug Earrings
Brief Description:  Another Catbug item for my daughter.  I made these out of shrinky dinks.  Took a few tries to get them the right size.  After baking, I used E600 to glue them to earring posts.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug

« Reply #299 on: December 27, 2013 07:30:40 AM »

felicity baby, that's such a clever way to photograph hats to get the front and back in shot! Your hoops are really cute too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Cara Delevingne Look
Back to School Beauty Buys
How To Apply Dark Lipstick
8 Strange Beauty Treatments That Can Actually Work
How to Get Dior Inspired Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...