A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 88191 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« Reply #270 on: December 22, 2013 10:21:00 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bean - Gravy
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Messy shelf turned art display
Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430242.msg5135708#msg5135708
Brief Description:
Am I happy with this fortnight's bean! I just tackled a project that has been on my to do list for over a year, but since I kept forgetting to buy screw-in hooks, I never finished it. Passing by a DIY store on friday though, I went inside and bought a batch of hooks and went and resolved one of my big frustrations: the messy expedit shelf that acts as a space divider between our home office and the dining area. It holds paperwork, office supplies, the printer, my sewing machine,... Normal office stuff, but not very visually appealing when viewed from the dining table.

We bought a large stack of LP cover frames some 14 months back, since they are just slightly smaller than the squares in the expedit, and can thus nicely hide the contents of the shelf. At 4 apiece, these are a lot cheaper than the 15/piece door-inserts ikea sells! Baskets would have been inconvenient for the shelf's content and the pretty ones are really expensive anyway. Most square art calendars are the size of LP albums, and we had reserved two old Linda Ravenscroft calendars for decorating our home with. I cut up both calendars and picked my favorite 16 images from the 24 pictures, which I procedeed to frame. Armed with a broach and a hammer, I banged some holes in the shelf, proceeded to screw in 32 hooks and as I hung up the frames, the transformation was completed: from a messy office shelf to an attractive art display for our dining area. It looks even nicer than I had ever imagined!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #271 on: December 22, 2013 11:56:23 AM »

Naantje, what a great idea!!!  I live in a very tiny apartment and all of our living "areas" just blend together. Literally, the kitchen/dining room/living room are all one space and I am forever trying to find a visually appealing way to separate them. This may just be the ticket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moonflame
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2013 01:05:15 PM »

Naantje, that is GORGEOUS!!! Smiley

I liked the other snitch I made so much, that I decided to make one to hang from youngest's Hogwart's dorm-room-themed bedroom ceiling.

Class: CoMC
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Golden Snitch
Project Description: Ah, the shimmering gold of a baby unicorn's coat, and the white of the adult's coat - though to be fair, this white is a wee bit dingy.  Mayhap this unicorn has been frolicking in a bog, LOL!
Project Pic:

These are so fun that I may have to make still another for my sister's new rescue kitty. >^_^<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #273 on: December 22, 2013 05:00:56 PM »

Challenge: Cranberry Bean
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Cranberry Cloths
Brief Description: I have whipped up some washcloths inspired by cranberries.  Here is a pic for my color reference...

And here are my cloths...
Project Picture:

Challenge: Gravy Bean
Project Name: Happy Little Trees
Brief Description: Happy little colorful tree ornaments Grin
Project Picture:

Class: Muggle Studies
Project Name: Peanut Butter Brittle
Brief Description: I thought I would try out a new-to-me muggle recipe.  For some reason, I decided to try it the same day I was cooking a party feast...I'm crazy daring like that.  Anywho, I grabbed my trusty heavy bottomed cauldron and created some Peanut Butter Brittle.

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda

Prep a cookie sheet by lining with foil and buttering or spraying with oil; keep prepared pan close at hand for pouring.  In heavy bottom pan, add sugar, corn syrup, and water and bring to a boil.  Do not stir once bubbling for this will cause crystals...a bit of swirling is okay, but best to let it be.  Continue to boil, under a watchful eye, until it reaches 305degrees F, or hard crack stage.  Once at 305degrees, turn off heat, and stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and baking soda. Be warned, it will foam up.  Pour immediately onto prepared sheet pan.  Once cooled, break into pieces.

Project Picture:

Challenge: DA-Stunning Spell *Stunning the Sense of Smell with Powerful Peppermint Punch*
Project Name: Candy Cane Bark
Brief Description: I'm admitting right now that I am a mint addict.  I love the scent year-round, in soaps, candles, candies...give me!  Which is probably why at the holiday time I end up with tons of candy canes.  So what do you do when you buy too many candy canes?  Well, I'll tell you what I did....I put those suckers into several zip bags and bashed the heck out of them with my rolling pin.  Ahhh, that felt good!  Okay, now what do you do with candy cane rubble?  Make candy!  Easy peasy really.  Melt up some almond bark (which is what I did here..because I had it in my pantry), white chocolate, or milk chocolate and stir in the minty rubble.  Then, pour onto foil or waxed paper or Silpat.  (because I'm super fancy, I did a double layer...I tinted half the melted mixture pink with red food coloring gel)  If you have some sprinkles on hand, which I always do, then let it snow down upon your bark whilst still wet.  Let cool and break into pieces.  Tastes yummy, looks good, and makes quick gifts.
Project Picture:

Oh, had to add that Mistress Jennie has a fab & delish version of this here on Craftser.  Here's a portkey to her ~*White Chocolate Peppermint Bark*~. Enjoy! Cool
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013 07:39:43 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nicajeanie
« Reply #274 on: December 22, 2013 05:35:15 PM »

Challenge: DA...Fred & George Fight back.
Project Name: Link Door Decoration
Project Description: This year at work it was decided we'd have a door decorating contest. I'd thought of the mini Christmas Village I'd made years ago and came up with an idea. I printed pictures, painted a chimney, made a mantle, flames, snow and stockings. The results won us 1st place!
Project Pictures:(heavy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moonflame
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2013 06:33:53 PM »

OMG, Pinkleo those cloths are beautiful!  And the treeeeeeeees!  I LOVE the treeeeeeeees!!! Cheesy  The brittle and bark have me drooling, lol. Smiley

Nicajeanie Congrats on your AWESOME door!  I can see why you got 1st place! Smiley  The village is soooo cute!

Here's my latest:

Class: Flying - Floo Powder
Project Name: FlooPuff
Project Description: I was knitting really close to the fireplace, and one of the cats (chasing the NipSnitch, of course!) knocked over my jar of Floo powder.  The result was this very Floo-infested hexipuff.  I'm thinking of keeping it in my pocket for emergency travel situations. Cheesy
Project Pic:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: December 22, 2013 06:46:59 PM »

pinks, I LOVE the cranberry cloths!  The colors are lovely.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Moonflame
« Reply #277 on: December 22, 2013 08:18:54 PM »

One more thing for tonight!

Challenge: Bertie Bott's  - Gravy
Project Name: Another hexipuff
Project Description: I fell a bit behind on my hexis, so making two today is helping to get me back on track.  This yarn is so soft and lovely!  I'm sad it's nearly gone, and will probably have to buy more - maybe in a diff colourway. 
Project Pic:

Here's my herd of hexipuffs so far, minus what Wheatley has stolen. :/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
tiamatfire
« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2013 09:29:05 PM »

Love those happy trees and the decorative door!

I have some crafts to submit I was able to complete before winding up in St. Mungo's.  Hopefully I'll be well enough to craft again soon!  I am able to keep crocheting on my NEWT at least, but much else has been out of my grasp.  

Class: Potions OWL
Name: Christmas Quilt set

I made this Christmas quilt and cushion covers using a set of 10 fat quarters I got 50% off way back in 2010 (I think, possibly 2011), and a panel I got 75% off at another store in their bargain attic, 1600 km away, in 2012 Smiley.  The inner border on the quilt is fabric left from my first quilt backing, also used in another quilt as an inner border. I winged it for the quilt top, but did a ton of math to sort out the best way to fit together the strip pieced outer border, since the panel made it a bit of an odd size. It's back with red polar fleece, a favourite way for me to finish quilts.  It's light but still relatively warm, won't slide off your lap, and doesn't required the close stitching a regular top-batting-backing sandwich requires.

I also did something new for the first time - free-motion quilting!  I couldn't afford to go buy a proper free-motion or darning foot, so I ended up doing it by using the machine without a presser foot, with feed dogs down.  I don't think I did too terribly badly.  The holly pattern is based off of a line pattern I found online that I converted to a continuous line design.  I tried to figure out how to transfer the pattern, and finally pin-pricked the whole design, then pounced it onto the border using the toe of a stocking filled with cinnamon and traced the pattern with a washable red pencil.  I left the pencil on so that the quilting pattern is a little easier to see in the pictures, but I tested it and it will wash out.

The cushions are an "Antique Tile" square, with a white border (different white than the quilt as I'm FINALLY out of that fabric, I think this pattern looks like little snowballs) and an overlapping envelope back to make them easy to change.  I fussy-cut the one church piece that's the centre of one cushion, but the rest are leftover pieces from strip-piecing the border.  Thank heavens I ended up going with a standard 2.5" width for the border, as I hadn't planned out the cushions yet but they were the right width for the antique tile pattern!

I'm thrilled, THRILLED with this project.  I'm so proud of how it came together, and of my being brave and trying the holly design.  I usually only work stitch-in-the-ditch quilting because I prefer the fun of piecing the top than quilting.  My next major quilting project (besides possibly a baby blankie for Mr. Wigglemunch who's thankfully still baking) is a paper-pieced snowflake quilt.  That's also something I've never done!  I think I'll make it a NEWT though so it won't happen until I finish the afghan.

003 by tiamatfire, on Flickr

Class: Herbology
Name: Cherry Peak Cookies

My 2nd attempt to make my family's favourite christmas cookie gluten free.  It's originally a shortbread-ish dough (but not particularly crumbly or delicate, more like a whipped shortbread or spritz cookie type dough) wrapped around a drained maraschino cherry, that is then baked and iced.  I tried using a drop sugar cookie dough this time, and despite chilling them thoroughly outside in the -30C weather for 10 minutes they still spread wayyyyy too much.  Anyone have a good GF shortbread recipe?

They fit the prompt because I used both green and red cherries, and decorated with red and green sprinkles!  They taste not bad, but they are still just not. right.

Challenge: DA Stunning Spell
Name: Homemade Instant Oatmeal

I can only eat oatmeal made with pure oats - those grown on a field used only for oats, and processed in a plant that processes nothing but oats (most major companies like Quaker use the equipment for other grains, and there seem to more issues with oats cross-contaminating than other grains).  You can buy GF instant oatmeal, but it's extremely expensive, so I decided to make up my own!  Each bag has:

2/3 c. quick cook pure oats
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp chia seeds
sprinkle of cinnamon

Some bags also have dried blueberries, coconut, or almonds mixed in as well.  At work I add hot water and a splash of milk!

Class: Potions
Name: Peppermint Bark

This is extra finicky peppermint bark, because it involves two double boilers to make a dark chocolate ganache centre, and the ingredients are all measured by weight (something I'm used to through GF baking).  It's also surprisingly difficult to get the crushed candies to spread evenly across the bottom and top layers!  The recipe is here: http://orangette.blogspot.ca/2008/12/look-at-that.html

Class: Charms
Name: Snowy Trees

My daughter and I made these soft sugar cookies, and I thought they'd be extra cute with some snowy frosting!

Challenge: Gravy Bean
Name: White chocolate marshmallow nougat

I absolutely adore this holiday treat, and it's dead simple.  White chocolate, marshmallows and butter melted together, with baking gums stirred in.  It's sticky as all get out but if you pour it into a container lined with parchment paper and then freeze it, it's possible to cut apart.  You're supposed to line the container with rice wafer paper, but I can't find it ANYWHERE, and regular Vietnamese rice paper wrappers are much much too thick.  Recipe here: http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/nougat/76633  I just do the melting in the microwave instead.

Class: SoAR
Name: "Baby" nightgown

I mentioned when I did my daughter's jammies that I had a lot of fabric left, and that we had started this new tradition of new jammies and a Christmas movie on Christmas Eve.  I can tell you I have great joy to see how much SHE has joy and love for the Cabbage Patch dolls I found for her.  She calls all 3 "baby", and I have been collecting genuine Cabbage Patch patterns from second-hand shops so I can make clothes for her.  This little nightgown is from a pattern that comes with a dolly nightgown pattern as well as a girl sized pattern, but I couldn't make the girl nightgown as it's a size 4 (and she's not even a size 2 yet, especially in sewing patterns!).  I think it turned out pretty adorable, and I hope she loves it when she opens it up on Tuesday.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013 09:37:23 PM by tiamatfire - Reason: Photos not posting » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
Magpirate
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2013 09:29:51 PM »

Sneaking this in...

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's - Cranberry
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Bouncy Cat Toy
Brief Description: Before this challenge, I had no idea that ripe cranberries bounce!  I made this bouncy ball out of rubber bands and cranberry-red embroidery floss in honor of that interesting bit of information.  (I would have used more embroidery floss but the more I added the less it bounced.)  My cat keeps attacking it so I guess it's hers...
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Hat Brim with a Loom
How to Knit a Placemat on a Rectangular Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Scarf on with a Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 6/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 5/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...