A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 78575 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2013 04:52:53 AM »

All the Christmas crafts are making me super festive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Linakins

Craft Hoarder

Will work for craft supplies!

« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2013 06:45:30 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Have a Drink at The Hogs Head
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Pozole Blanco
Project Page Link (if available):none

Pozole is a Mexican corn soup that we Mexicans tend to make for the holidays. In my house we always made it because it was pretty inexpensive and fed a whole lot of people. Just o give you an idea, Im showing you the pot we use to cook the soup in.

Thats a lot of soup. It filled up 2 of those big round Tupperware that holds like 10 cups, and a 13x9 casserole Tupperware. This was after feeding a family of 6 out of it and probably eating about 10 cups of it to start. Anyway, heres the recipe. I have scaled it down to make about 8 or so servings.

Pozole Blanco
2-3 pound pork butt (shoulder)
1 large can of Mexican hominy, drained and rinsed (Teasdale and Fiesta are what I use. Just make sure its Mexican hominy, regular white hominy is too soft, although you can use it in a pinch)
1 large onion, sliced
1-2 bay leaves
Garlic powder
1-2 tbs. Mexican Oregano
Salt

So there are no wrong ways to do this. Trim up the pork butt. Cut up the butt in large chunks. Its kind of a pain to cut it up into small bite sized pieces. As it cooks itll flake apart. Toss the butt into a huge soup pot and cover the butt completely with water. Also toss in the onion, bay, and oregano. Add the garlic too. This is to taste so if youre not into garlic dont use so much; same with the salt. I use very little of this, but you do I to taste.

Basically you want to get this up to a boil, and then turn it down to a simmer. Let it cook until the meat is cooked completely. This usually takes about an hour, an hour and a half, just depending on how small you cut your meat. When the meat is cooked, add your hominy and let it cook for about another half an hour or so the flavors meld.  If your soup is missing too much liquid at any point, add more water.

If all goes right, youll have something that looks like this:

Garnishing

The best thing about this soup is the ways you can garnish it. Heres a list of things we Mexicans throw into it:

• Sliced or chopped radish
  • Diced onion
  • Cilantro
  • Chopped lettuce or Cabbage (I do cabbage, its way yummier)
  • Hot Sauce or salsa
  • Lemon or lime wedges
  • More Oregano (I use lots of this)
  • Fresh jalapenos, diced
  • Avocado wedges

Some people also add chili while cooking to make red or green soup. I make the white because I like to let people do what they want to it.

Comments/Praises

DragonChilde- I hope my cards don't disappoint! I had redo them because I had no more glitter so I used microbeads. they came out different than I was expecting. I didn't have any card stock either so I used the cheap cards I got at the dollar store and did my own thing on them XD  I love your projects! The dream catcher is lovely and I love the sound of your Chai Miel. Now I want some for my tea.

vincentvanbuck- I'm going to make these! Thank you!

Nicajeanie- I love the gingerbread house! I'm also going to dabble in making a tiny house! How big is this one that you made?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013 06:54:48 AM by Linakins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft to preserve my sanity!

If you like my work and would be interested in a personal swap, please contact me!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2013 06:47:39 AM »

How often are house points tallied? (Meaning how often can I justify checking the front page :p)

Acadian Driftwood, the House Points are tallied whenever pinkleo or I have time to ourselves to sit down and do so.  It is not on a fixed day system, like the Bertie Bott's Beans, which happen every other Sunday, or the Detention prompts, which happen on the first of the month.  With the holidays looming, everyone is being pulled in a million directions.  My advice, is to just craft and not worry about House Points.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Inselaeffchen
« Reply #233 on: December 18, 2013 07:09:19 AM »

Pinterest Pixie status - we're up-to-date again with the pins.

Still have to figure out where my items fit into with the classes ... really seem to have some problems this time round... Shocked

But trying this one first... Wink

Class/Challenge/House Pride: FLYING
House:Slytherin
Project Name: You were made to be ruled
Brief Description: This is one side of a 2-sided Mug rug I made for a swap on here (and hope my swapee doesn't check this forum too often). Smiley As for the challenge relevance - it got emerald green and glittery on it. Smiley  I've embroidered Loki's helmet free hand, just having a picture of the helmet (embroidered by someone else) on the laptop screen.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: December 18, 2013 09:34:31 AM »

~*Deputy Headmistress Mistress Jennie casts the Homonculous Charm - We are here!*~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: December 18, 2013 04:02:05 PM »

Class: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Asian Ginger-Garlic Mustard
Project Page Link: Can't find a link.  This recipe is from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, page 273.
Brief Description: Yesterday I hosted a canning party with a few friends. One whom I canned with a lot over the summer, and 2 newbies who wanted to learn.  This was the first recipe we made.  A beautiful golden Ginger Garlic Mustard.  It made 6.5 jars, and these are my two.
Project Picture:

Class: Apparition
Project Name: Junk Drawer Bracelet
Project Page Link: (Will add this in later.)
Brief Description:  When I practiced apparating, I knew I wanted to head north.  I was shooting for Louisville, so I could visit a friend.  Seems I accidentally over-shot and landed back home in NH!  In Concord NH, to be precise.  Latitude 43 degrees north.  I made this bracelet based on the things I saw at home, including an acorn from the nearby forest, a brown bear who lived in those same woods, a dragonfly from around nearby Crystal Lake, red granite, from the Granite State, etc.  Cheesy
Project Picture:

Class: Astronomy
Project Name: Europa's Dream Bookmark
Brief Description: Europa is a moon, covered in ice.  This is my interpretation, in bookmark form.  Icy clear and blue beads, and a bejeweled moon charm.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Bertie Botts - Cranberry
Project Name: Cranberry Pear Jam
Project Page Link: http://frenchfood.about.com/od/dressingpreservessauces/r/Cranberry-Pear-Jam-Recipe.htm
Brief Description: This was our second recipe of the day!  Cranberry Pear Jam.  Oh friends...  It is so freakin' good.  While I found that we didn't get the full 6 jars that the recipe promised, we did get 3.75 jars.  Three were canned and preserved, and the other three-quarters full jar, we ate on some crusty bread, with some sharp cheddar.  I was going to give it as gifts.  But I can't stand to give it away!  I cracked one open this morning and am putting the others away for later in the winter when it's cold and sad outside.
Project Picture:

Class: Charms
Project Name: Snowman & Snowflake Bookmarks
Brief Description: Sparkly & white, huh?  Here you go!  In my ongoing project to make ALL the bookmarks, I've added a few more in the last few days.  Snowflake and Ice Skating Snowman.
Project Picture:

Class: Detention - December
Project Name: Pear Nymph Bracelet
Brief Description: I make so many projects for others, but this one is just for me!  While teaching a jewelry making workshop to my college students, I made this as a demo piece.  It's mountain jade, finished with pretty little nymph charm.  I just imagine that she lives in a pear tree.  Cheesy
Project Picture:

Class: Divination
Project Name: Sugar Skull Bookmark
Brief Description: While attempting to study spiders, I did some searching.  I found one particular beauty in a rose bush in my neighbor's yard.  She was spinning a beautiful web shaped like a skull.  After much study, I realised that she was attempting to warn me to live life to the fullest, for we never know when we will leave this life.  To honor her warning, I created a bookmark featuring her skull and a beautiful iridescent glass rose.
Project Picture:

Class: Flying
Project Name: Emerald Green Dilly Beans
Project Page Link: http://foodinjars.com/2009/07/dilly-beans/
Brief Description: Our third project in our day of canning was a surprise gift for my friend Lisa.  She loves and adores Dilly Beans, and has been asking me to make them for ages.  So I surprised her by bringing all the supplies for us to make them together.  They are also extra pretty in the blue Ball jars that came out this year for their Sesquicentennial.  (150 year anniversary)
Project Picture:

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Christmas Bracelet
Brief Description: This is another project I whipped up while teaching my jewelry workshop.  I created it for a friend who was having a rough time, to try to remind her to enjoy the joy and magic of the winter season.  The red and green beads really make it pop.  Cheesy
Project Picture:

Class: Potions
Project Name: Cranberry Mustard
Project Page Link: http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=56
Brief Description: Final project of our canning marathon yesterday was Cranberry Mustard!  This made 8+ jars (4 oz.) of this very precisely followed recipe.  It is not only pretty in the jar, but also has quite a kick.  I can't wait to try marinating some pork loin in it.  
Project Picture:

Class: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name: Gymnastics Bracelet
Brief Description: This bracelet is for a young woman who finds joy in rainbows, and her intense study of gymnastics.  I love the tiny gymnast charms, leaping and stretching.  They seem joyous in their movement, even so tiny.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013 05:04:10 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

coulsenl
« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2013 04:34:50 PM »

Mistress Jennie: I love your skull bookmark, it is so beautiful. The rose has is such a pretty colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #237 on: December 18, 2013 07:34:22 PM »

Love seeing everyone's projects! Looks like there are lots of wands working overtime. I suppose I need to get it together and post some assignments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2013 08:06:43 PM »

love the charms on the junk draw bracelet (err... wanna swap houses with me? If that's your 'junk'....!!)

less than a week til christmas, and my colleague who i taught to knot socks 4 months ago just handed me an few rows with half a masticated heel turned on them, a bag of yarn, and the promise of an ungodly amount of 'owed' if I can finish two pairs for his daughters!! I can but try - wands in overdrive please people...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Avesthel

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2013 08:50:14 PM »

Class: Herbology
Project Name:  Christmas mitts
Brief Description:  More mitts that are mostly green with pops of red that remind me of Christmas.   Smiley
Project Picture:
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa366/glitterbirdart/th_herbmitts_zpsbc8b0537.jpg
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014 08:00:23 PM by pinkleo - Reason: non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Beach Babe Tip-Off
Celebrities Rocking the Leather Trend
How to Wear White and Keep It Clean
Clinton Kelly Shows You How to Rock Hot Summer Trends
Top Fashion Trends from Bonnaroo Music Festival 2013
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...