A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 97189 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2013 05:10:33 PM »

My first-ever Advanced Studies Friday post!  I feel a little silly to be so excited, considering I'm only posting words.  Roll Eyes

Anywho, I used a little downtime last night at home to start investigating embroidery stitches for my Four Elements Hooplas.  I found a short but detailed French Knot tutorial by Katxena on the Needlework board, so I gave it a try.  I managed to get the basic idea down (I think), but I was using a scrap of super-cheap quality white fabric from a fat quarter in my 5 in hoop to practice on, so I often ran into the problem of pulling the knot all the way through the fabric and ending up with an ugly hole in the fabric.  Also, I was really surprised how "loose" the knots were, as in, they could very easily get "picked up" from the fabric.  I am used to cross-stitch, where everything stays pretty tight to the fabric.  Is this just a feature of French Knots, my poor technique, or the cheap fabric? (Perhaps a combo?)

Did a google search on french knot tutorials, and the first thing that came up was a website called sublime stitching.com that had another detailed French Knot tutorial.  This one offered a slightly different technique, so I switched out my cruddy white fabric for 28-count even weave, and gave it a try.  I seemed to have better luck with this one: about 1 in every 4 tries, I would do one and think "wow! that looks really tight and pretty." -- and then the next three would be loose and uneven again.  Tongue  The knots seemed to do better with staying close to the fabric on the evenweave, but I continued to run into the problem of pulling the knot all the way through the fabric!  Huh

The website also had mini-tutorials for split stitch (it looks kinda fancy, for something so simple! I'll be using this for sure) and satin stitch. 

So here is where I am at so far: I'm thinking I will be employing French Knots, split stitch, satin stitch, and I guess plain old back stitch in my hooplas.  I'm probably going to abandon the idea of "one type of stitch per hoop", because I'm anticipating that I will get a much better composition that way.

A couple of questions for your embroiderers out there:

1) What kinds of fabric are good/do you like to do embroidery on?
2) How many strands of DMC floss do you generally use?  I know this varies even within the same project depending on the composition, but I'm guessing that 2 is the "norm".
3) Any words of advice for a brand-new needleworker?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
    Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
    Mamaneedles
    )O( * ॐ

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
    « Reply #121 on: December 06, 2013 06:59:53 PM »

Naantje: I LOVE the tree and the animals! You should have made a unicorn for the CoMC too!! ahah! And congratulations on being the first to return the flying assigment! (it's my class, you know Wink the design is very effective Smiley

Dragonchild: Knitted dishcloths are the best. today I got away with a HUGE ball of cotton that was in a donation box, I will make tons of them with it. I JUST learned to knit socks, and I love them, see:

Class: Alchemy
    House: Go Lions!!
    Project name: UNICORN FARTS SOCKS!!!!!
    Project link: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Andreann/toe-up-knee-high-socks-for-young-children
    Desc: Well you all saw the amazing yarn that Abbeeroad dyed and sent me last Back to Hogwarts round. I finally finished turning them into socks. They will be stuffed in my daughter's stocking, of course!!! I LOVE them. First time knitting socks, and two at a time, at that!! There's some leftovers so I think I'll knit a pair for Victoria, her dolly. (why, yes, in my house there's a human baby and a doll almost named the same). It's 100% wool, and 100% happyness!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog! (and where I sell my dolls!)
    I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!
    pottermouth
    Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
    « Reply #122 on: December 06, 2013 08:17:21 PM »

Naantje: String art! I remember string art! Uh, I've seen old pictures of string art.  Lips sealed So cool. The tree is my favourite. Great TARDIS mug also.

DragonChilde: love the charming dishcloth! Looks like your Grandmother was a great teacher.

Maman: EEEEE! Are those Unicorn Farts socks?! Big love.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
    « Reply #123 on: December 06, 2013 08:47:01 PM »

Forgot to post my assignment.

Class: Charms
    House: Ravenclaw
    Project Name: Snowflake Something or Anothers for Grandmas
    Project Page Link (if available): Loads of free ring ornaments here
    Brief Description: Found the above website with lots of patterns for crocheted ornaments using plastic rings and sort of went nuts making them all. These snowflakes will have pictures of the kids glued in the middle and either be made as ornaments or fridgies. Probably fridgies because grandmas really enjoy those.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

coulsenl
    « Reply #124 on: December 06, 2013 10:32:17 PM »

Linakins Awesome gilded box, I especially loved the paper you used for the inside of the box, gives it a kind of vintage feel which matches the gold paint perfectly.

Tiamatfire I love those pajamas, especially the fabric you used for the bottoms.

Noodlebug your coffee cozy looks great. I love your hankies, the nose one is very clever.

mamanTattoo your button wreath looks great, I cant wait to be able to do crafts like this with my daughter.

Rockmygypsysoul your alphabet books sound great, cant wait to see the finished result. Its too bad your relatives dont appreciate handmade gifts, I have relatives that are the same way. Its a shame, handmade is so much more personal and unique.

Pottermouth I love the detail that is in your cowl, the colour of the wool is beautiful.

Moonflame your snowflakes are beautiful.

Naantje your doctor who mug is so cool, and your string art is awesome.  I especially love the Christmas star one.

dragonChilde your dishcloth is very neat, neat tidy stitches.  I have been working on my OWL pretty solidly for the last couple of days. So far it seems my greatest accomplishment is mastering the ability to knit with a newborn in one arm. I have a feeling it will take me a little longer than I originally anticipated to finish it.  Extra credt for slytherin would be awesome.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

coulsenl
    « Reply #125 on: December 06, 2013 10:52:18 PM »

Advanced Studies Friday

I have been working on my owl for the last few days. So far I have six completed squares for my blanket. I spent some time researching different types of knit stitches to add some textural difference to each piece and having been practicing my colour joining though unfortunately the edges are still a little messy.
    My biggest challenge so far has been figuring out how to knit with my 2 week old daughter in one arm, so progress started out slow.
    Other than that, it has been a challenge getting my squares the same size, i have not mastered uniformity yet.
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2013 10:57:29 PM by coulsenl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2013 03:51:52 AM »

i use any kind of non-stretch fabric to embroider on - cotton and linens are my favourite. and yes 2 strands is pretty average. there's no rules though, so experiment a bit and fir d what looks / feels good to you
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
    Mistress Jennie
    Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #127 on: December 07, 2013 07:47:50 AM »

Mistress Jennie - Do we have the full 2 weeks for the popcorn bean since we just started a new term?   I noticed it is a carry over from last term, but I wasn't in the Fall semester.   

Nope, each bean lasts 2 weeks, even if it began in the previous semester.  Therefore the new bean should go up tomorrow.  (Every once in a while it gets delayed until Monday.) 
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
    DragonChilde

Head of Slytherin House

View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: December 07, 2013 08:24:53 AM »

vincentvanbuck~ You have questions and.. I may have answers
    1) What kinds of fabric are good/do you like to do embroidery on?
    2) How many strands of DMC floss do you generally use?  I know this varies even within the same project depending on the composition, but I'm guessing that 2 is the "norm".
    3) Any words of advice for a brand-new needleworker?
    1) I usually go with a none stretchy fabric for embroidery, using something stretchy adds and extra dimension of fun….
    2) When I want bold lines I use 4-6 strands of floss, and I usually use 4-6 strands for french knots as well (It helps prevent them form pulling thorough the fabric), and when I want fine lines I use 2-3 strands (when you use one, it is harder to see the stitches)
    3) Be patient, don't be afraid to rip it out or change your plans half-way through. And above all else, have fun!

MammanTattoo~ I love love love your unicorn fart socks! Did you knit from the top down, or the toe up?
    pottermouth~ THose crochet ornaments are wonderful!
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2013 08:50:11 AM by DragonChilde » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't shed a tear for me/I stand alone/This path of destiny/Is all my own ~Blackmore's Night "Olde Village Lanterne"
    Spring Harry Potter Craftalong
    Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2013 10:43:26 AM »

vincentvanbuck, for the problem of french knots pulling through fabric - if you offset your downward stitch slightly, so that it's not right where you came up, you shouldn't have that problem! I find the results look the same. Smiley
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 88 Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    Motherboard: Author William Gibson on Real Life Technology
    Chick-O-Saurus Rex by Lenore Appelhans and Daniel Jennewein
    Go Back to Snail Mail to Stay in Touch with Friends
    The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
    John U. Bacon on the Fight For the Soul of College Football
    Latest Blog Articles
    @Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
    March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
    Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...