A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 78569 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FiberAlchemist
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2013 11:19:04 AM »

Class/House Pride/Challenge - Muggle Studies
House - Ravenclaw
Project Name - Bagel French Toast
Brief Description - I love french toast!  It is one of my favorite muggle breakfast foods so when I came across a recipe to make it using bagels I knew I had to try it.  The recipe is by Ree Drummond (I believe the muggles refer to her as "the pioneer woman") and it can be found in her new cookbook A Year of Holidays.

6 everything bagels
butter, for greasing the pan
One 8-ounce package cream cheese
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp chopped chives, plus more for serving
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Tear the bagels into bite sized chunks and put them into a 9 x 13 inch buttered casserole dish.  Cut the cream cheese into chunks and distribute them all over the top of the bagels.  Then sprinkle on the grated cheese.  In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, cream, chives, dry mustard, cayenne and salt.  Whisk the mixture until combined, then pro is all over the top of the bagels and cheese.  Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F and bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.  Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

** I made half a batch and used a 9 X 9 inch pan **
Project Picture:

YUMMMM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2013 12:56:18 PM »

**OWL PROPOSAL**

OWL Subject & Option(if available): Transfiguration - Option 2 - Craft something with a dual purpose

House:  Gryffindor!!

Project Name:  Non-traditional Alphabet/Name Books

Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)  I tend to believe that, whenever possible, things should serve very many purposes at once.  To that end, I will be transfiguring a felt book (one each) for three of my nieces.  Rather than a full alphabet book, I am doing a name book with one page for each letter in her name - two books with only four letters each and one with 9 letters!  As you flip through it, it will read out their names, providing a highly personalized gift. 

For Abby, she needs a personalized gift as she is the youngest of four and thus has very little that hasn't been owned by someone else in the family.  For Kate, the personalization isn't so much for her (Kate is a common name and she is not only an only child but an only grandchild on BOTH sides so very spoiled).  The personalization, however, is important because I know her parents don't value handmade gifts and I am determined to show them how wonderful handmade is.  Lastly, MacKenzie needs something personalized simply because it will be hard for her to find personalized stuff (which of course Muggle and wizard children alike love).

In addition to the purposes behind each child's personalized book is to help them learn the letters and spelling and I am trying to use some non-standard objects (no apples here!) when possible (some things are tricky - there're only so many options for Z you know) to promote creativity and a more holistic approach to learning the alphabet (my mom was a kindergarten teacher and always put her letter pictures on the wall out of order since they're never in order when you read).

So there it is.  I've done two of these before (Greyson and Katelyn) but as I'm starting to learn some actual embroidery (not a lot, but some proper embroidery), I'm getting better and more creative with it so I'm feeling ambitious!  Here is an example from Greyson's: (for yak!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2013 02:07:43 PM »

~*Congratulations FiberAlchemist *~
~*You are the first to earn the Muggle Studies Badge*~

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges. 

*Once revealed, a class badge can be found in the Badge Station.*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2013 02:27:55 PM »

Congratulations noodle-bug!  You are also the first to earn the Impedimentia, Expelliarmus, & Help the Room of Requirement Badges!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2013 03:17:03 PM »

RMGS, I love your explanation for your OWL. How sad not to value handmade... This is definitely something you can work on!

Fiber, your french toast thing (which I had never heard of beside being French myself) looks very yummy but I'm intolerante to eggs (which saddens me a lot!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2013 06:11:04 PM »

rockmygypsysoul, I absolutely LOVE your project idea.  I will be very excited to see it (them!) all finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
  • Mini 13 Days of Halloween R. 6

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2013 06:41:06 PM »

RMGS, I love your explanation for your OWL. How sad not to value handmade... This is definitely something you can work on!

Thanks!  It doesn't hurt that BIL is a total...jerk to me so I'm 1/2 all about proving handmade is great and 1/2 about showing him up.  It's true.  Even that has a dual purpose.  But I promise I've spent 8 years bending over backwards to be nice to him and just last weekend he actually got up from the dinner table and switched places with his wife so he didn't have to sit next to me - mind you, even with an empty chair in between us - so he's earned some comeuppance.   He's a real prize.   Roll Eyes

rockmygypsysoul, I absolutely LOVE your project idea.  I will be very excited to see it (them!) all finished!

Thanks; I'm excited about it/them, too!  Actually the mom of Katelyn (who I already made one for) has already requested that I make one for Simon, too, only he isn't even born yet  Cheesy  She's one that absolutely loves handmade stuff so I'm excited to see (well, hear - she's not allowed to travel til after baby's born) her reaction to the stuff I'm sending them for Christmas and Katelyn's birthday - Katelyn gets one of my felt tree and ornament sets for Christmas and the felt personalized pillow I submitted for her birthday from last semester, plus I'm sending a Gryffindor onesie and baby dino for Simon.  Sarah and her husband (my ex-boyfriend actually  Cheesy) and their kids are very much family to me so I infinitely prefer to spend time on their gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2013 07:07:39 PM »

Galloping gargoyles, everyone is trekking through their lessons so quickly! I finally have the chance to sit and comment on the awesome things that have been posted.

Whistlefish: how I love the hooded cowl! It looks so warm and cozy. I also adore paper snowflakes- they are like magic when you unfold them.

Naantje: Holy hippogriff, you made an awesome sweater! Shocked The recipient is sure to love it.

Avesthal: Beautiful fingerless mitts! Great colour, too.

tia: Christmas=new jammies, for sure. Your story is wonderful and the pjs came out great. Remind your little guy to stay put until the weather warms up! Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Moonflame: I need to take soap making lessons from you. Right now. So awesome! So are your knitted kitty hexies (great idea!)

noodle-bug: Yay for more knitting! Fantastic shield hat and all of those embroidered hankies. Wow! Then you made a super cool coffee cozy AND an album? You're rocking winter semester!

Maman: Your unicorn sweater is so cute and fluffy I could die!  Cheesy It is perfect, and as soon as I learn soapmaking at Moonflame's, I'm headed to your place for knitting lessons. And watercolour lessons. Oh, and Waldorf doll lessons...

Nicajeanie: seeing Perler bead anything makes me happy, but your snowflakes are especially joyful.

Linakins: I'm late to the party, but I'd still like to say Welcome to Hogwarts! It is crazy fun here as you probably figured out by now. Awesome finger chained scarf! Your gilded box came out really awesome, too. Can't wait to see your future projects!

coulsenl: Is that your FIRST crocheted dishcloth?! It's so neat and uniform! I remember my first crocheted dishcloth and it looked more like a bird's nest. Like a really messy one. Great job.

FiberAlchemist: Hello HoH! Letting you know that I have decided to pay more attention to the bulletin board and less time with my nose in a book. I'm excited for the scavenger hunt and think it is a great way to exercise those crafty muscles. Thank you for the Bagel French Toast recipe; looks delish!

rockmygypsysoul: Y is for Yak.  Cheesy So much better than Yo-Yo, I think. I love this!

Okay, so if I missed anyone, I'm terribly sorry. I've staggered from the Land of Swaps back to the castle and have just recovered.

Class: CoMC and Ravenclaw scavenger hunt (Glitter)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Rainbow Unicorn Tree of Magic!
Brief Description: I thought this was the perfect opportunity for me to decorate a vintage pink tree with the loads of Shiny Brite ornaments I have and make it a bit more happy with unicorns. They have finger painted bodies and legs painted with the edge of cardboard, and were glitter-ized to finish off the zazziness.

Class: Apparition
Project Name: Santa Tchotchke
Brief Description: Seems I need to work on apparating more accurately because I intended to go to Maine, a state I have yet to visit. Looks as if I went slightly too far and ended up on Santa Lane. But I had such a merry time with the jolly old elf that I came home and crafted the little guy from paperclay. 

Class: DADA
Project Name: Dashing For the Does hoopla
Brief Description: So many boring walls, so little time. Sigh. However, I started a hoopla wall to make one of them a bit more exciting and stitched this oh-so-festive stag to add to it. The original pattern was issued for the newest needlework challenge but I kinda went buck wild  Wink with it.

Class: Alchemy and Ravenclaw Scavenger Hunt (Natural Fibres)
Project Name: Dual Duty Knitted Cowl/Headband
Project Page Link (if available): Pattern Here
Brief Description: Made from 100% pure wool (and one old button). This is going in DD1's care package. I must love that kid because I actually blocked this piece.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2013 07:27:06 PM »

I can testify that your neice with an unusual name will love getting something personalised with it. I used to scour the racks of badges, pencils, stockers and keyrings in all the giftshops on all the school trips and days out with grandparents hoping to find something with the correct spelling of my name (Vikki - common name, but my parents used a weird spelling - or weird enough not to come on keyrings anyway). I did fianlly find an elephant badge, and it was blue - so I nearly cried because not only was it my name, but it was my favourite animal and colour too! I was 24 at the time....
anyway, point being, she'll love it!

Class; SoAR
House: ravenclaw
Project: the sketchbook.
I nipped into the local art shop today, to grab some gel medium to try a new image transfer technique I saw in a magazine (will share if it works) and found they were giving away goodie bags - really nice ones - for a shopping promo event in the area. I got, amongst other stuff, some oil pastles and a beautiful moleskin sketchbook. I really wanted to find a use for the sketchbook, but... well.... I don't draw or sketch at all, and I couldn't think of a 'use' (like to store recipes, or keep lists, or whatever) that I felt wouldn't be a waste of it. I thought about giving it away, that would be my usual route when I come across something lovely that i can't find a place for, let someone else enjoy it. But... well... I just wanted to keep it, ok?
So I decide I would, with no use or rhyme or reason. Maybe I'll try to sketch more - maybe I'll keep lists, maybe I'll brainstorm craft ideas, keep magazine cuttings, sew on it... whatever. I decorated the fist page, without to much idea how I would proceed. while I was doing it I realised how few things in my life I don't have rules for - real or self-imposed, I have certain ways of doing just about everything, and many of those are completely arbitrary. So, I will not have rules for this book. It will not matter if each page is good - I don't have to show anyone, I can experiment and I don't have to plan, or worry if my ideas won't come out like I see them in my head. I can erase, but I don't have to. It doesn't matter if my work is straight up copies, or highly un-orginal in concept, or utter frickin brilliant genius-ness.
Those things sound easy, but they're not, for me.
the first page - my first ever time using pastels - my first time not knowing pretty much exactly what I'll do before I start.  It might not look finished, but I think it is (unless I change my mind at some point). just... being joyful, and in the moment, free and playing with colour

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
stillatthetop
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2013 07:50:04 PM »

Wonderful experiment, sweetie. Color til your heart is content!
Lets see if I can set my first page in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\artwork and all my other junk\My Journal Pages and Chunky\My Page Scans

~T

Nope. It does not want to go. I am still working on it. Be back if I can get it to fit.
nope. let me try pinterest.
Yup. That worked, and it likes me  Grin Two new items in my pinterest. In the artworks I have created file. Sorry, cyber dummy sometimes...and I don't understand why.  Undecided

I really enjoy my journals. Don't often share. Some are very personal thoughts. But these are somewhat basic. I added more words to that first flame page in the case of writing...but it is the outline. And was very fun to do. My first official experiment with watercolor. On the big kid level. I have played with the little children, but had never really used it for the "professional" craft for us big people. I really like the look.

I am glad you decided to keep the book for you. I believe you made a good choice, and hope you enjoy adding to it. Whatever you decide could go in there.  Cheesy

~T
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013 08:15:15 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Saturated Reds – Photoshop for Video Episode 91
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Touching Up Flaws
How to Wow: Best of Photoshop CS2 with Jack Davis
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample 2
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...