A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 88
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2013/2014~  (Read 59281 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013 09:28:53 AM »

~*Welcome students new and old to Hogwarts' Winter Semester*~ 

A certain excitement fills the air at the beginning of a new semester.  And lucky for us, our crafty magic can now begin since our new class assignments have been posted.  Further, you may begin to serve your Detention in the Dungeons.   Also, make sure to check out our Advanced Studies Exam Room; we are here to encourage you while you tackle the larger projects of OWLs and NEWTs. 

Also, keep an eye out for random challenges that need your crafty magical skills.  We are continuing our recruitment to Dumbledore's Army, and Deputy Headmistress Mistress Jennie shall continue her amazing Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Bean Challenge for the winter.  Further, look forward to holiday challenges.  Owls will be sent when they arrive.

Moreover, this is a very special semester because we have our first ever 7th Years!  This is their last year as Hogwarts students.  We are celebrating their accomplishments and preparing for the next step in their wizarding education.  ATTENTION 7th Years: Please keep an eye on the 7th Years' Bulletin Board for special announcements.

There is a lot that goes on here at Hogwarts, especially during the first few weeks of the semester.  But remember that you do not have to take on all the classes and challenges. It is craftsmanship that shows who we truly are, far more than how many projects we turn in.  To ease your way around the castle, you can find portkeys in the first post, first page.  If you have any questions, do not hesitate in sending an owl (either through a PM aka Personal Message to your headmistresses pinkleo and Mistress Jennie or posting in this thread, our students are very helpful).  I can't wait to see your skills in crafty magic.  We are going to have a wondrous winter!

Blessed Be,
Professor pinkleo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhistleFish
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013 12:54:35 PM »

Winter Semester 2013: History of Magic
"Time for History of Magic? Good, I've been needing a nap."
    An unidentified Hogwarts student

Completed Homework: This Winter, we are studying the Soap Blizzard of 1378.  This was a blizzard of soap that occurred sometime in 1378. This blizzard was followed by a burst of the wizarding economic bubble.  You may research this hisotircal event by one of two paths.  You may research the blizzard of soap; if you choose this path, you must create something that uses (or is) soap.  Or you may research the burst of the economic bubble and create something that will help you save money during such tough economic times.
Gryffindor - Whistlefish, MamanTattoo, pinkleo, Avestral

Ravenclaw - noodle-bug, BadWolf314

Hufflepuff - Moonflame, Arcadian Driftwood, blupaisan

Slytherin
- DragonChilde, Naantje

HoM OWLS
: Option 1-Create 4 different items, one item for each house, these items should reflect your interpretation of the characteristics of each house.  Option 2-Craft 3 items which represent 3 characters with Harry Potter.   Option 3-Craft something using a vintage pattern, material, or technique.

Proposed OWLS

Completed OWLS

HoM NEWTS
: Students must produce evidence that they did not sleep through all of Prof. Binns lectures.
Proposed NEWTS

Completed NEWTS
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014 09:48:10 PM by WhistleFish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhistleFish
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013 02:16:51 PM »

Winter Semester 2013: Muggle Studies
I'll fix it up with Mum and Dad, then I'll call you. I know how to use a fellytone now"
"A telephone, Ron," said Hermione. "Honestly, you should take Muggle Studies next year...

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Completed Homework: Get ready students because this semester we are going to learn to cook the muggle way.  Everyone will find a copy of "Cooking the Muggle Way" by Professor Mordicus Egg at their desk.  Please peruse this book and find a recipe you would like to attempt.  Note, you may not use ANY magic whilst preparing your recipe.  Now for those of you not familiar with muggle cooking, I suggest you arm yourself with potholders, oven mitts, and burn salve.  To show you've experienced the art of muggle cooking, present either your successful dish along with full recipe or something that you used to protect yourself while attempting a muggle recipe, like potholders or aprons.  Best of luck!

Gryffindor - MamanTattoo, Mistress Jennie

Ravenclaw - FiberAlchemist, Magpirate, BadWolf314, Pottermouth, Audania1, vincentvanbuck, netchez, Audania1

Hufflepuff - Moonflame, blupaisan

Slytherin
- ErinAquaheart, TechnicolorAquahear ts,  Inselaeffchen

MS OWLS
: We all know the Tales of Beetle Bard, but did you know that muggles have a vast array of fantastical stories?  The most fascinating are known to muggles as fairy tales.  Study these tales and craft something inspired by them.

Proposed OWLS

Completed OWLS

MS NEWTS
: Students should demonstrate their knowledge of all things muggle and have the ability to blend into muggle society with ease

Proposed NEWTS

Completed NEWTS

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014 07:54:49 PM by WhistleFish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013 02:49:51 PM »

I've just read all of the prompts, and I'm inspired by so many of them! It's like I'm getting a brand new semester especially for my birthday  Grin Can't believe I'm 25 now, it feels like a big milestone. Ten years ago, I was sure I'd be a mother by 25! Eek, sorry teenage me, but I'd rather wait an extra year or two Tongue I've nearly finished my NaKniSweMo sweater! I really should have made that an OWL or a NEWT project, as my current OWL and NEWT haven't had any progress over the past months... I guess that is what happens when a yarnie picks sewing projects  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013 03:31:35 PM »

I've just read all of the prompts, and I'm inspired by so many of them! It's like I'm getting a brand new semester especially for my birthday  Grin Can't believe I'm 25 now, it feels like a big milestone. Ten years ago, I was sure I'd be a mother by 25! Eek, sorry teenage me, but I'd rather wait an extra year or two Tongue I've nearly finished my NaKniSweMo sweater! I really should have made that an OWL or a NEWT project, as my current OWL and NEWT haven't had any progress over the past months... I guess that is what happens when a yarnie picks sewing projects  Undecided
~*Happy Birthday*~
And I'm happy to hear that the classes have inspired you. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013 07:41:29 PM »

Was worried I wouldn't be able to take on much this semester since we just moved (like, yesterday!) but there's plenty to work with here and I am psyched to get started!!

Thank you all, organizers, Headmistress, Deputy Headmistress, Heads of Houses, and everyone - I know it must take so much time and energy and creativity to do all of this to keep us inspired and challenging ourselves, so thank you very, very much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
WhistleFish
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013 09:09:10 PM »

Happy Winter Semester everyone!The new semester snuck up on me but luckily ABC Family's HP Marathon got me super into a Harry Potter mood lately. I'll kick off the semester with some submissions that I didn't get a chance to submit last week.

Also, I've taken the positions of Gryffindor Head of House (wooo!) and Muggle Studies/History of Magic Professor so I am at your service for any of your Gryffindor, MS, or HoM needs! Gryffindors, keep an eye out for an announcement soon. I have some exciting plans!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Fear of A Name (Dumbledore's Army)
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Hooded Scarf
Project Page Link: I got the pattern from here
Brief Description: I did some brand new stitches for this scarf! I've never done ribbing before, or front loop/back loop, or made a hooded scarf. It was actually easy peasy. Except I've also never done a scarf longways before and I don't think I'll be doing it again. Working out of the foundation chain for that many stitches felt like torture. (Too bad it wasn't for a detention assignment, because it sure felt like it!)
Project Picture: (Made my husband take a break from playing video games to model it for me. He looks happy about that, doesn't he? Haha.)

Class/Challenge/House Pride: POPCORN Bean!
Project Name: Advent Calendar
Project Page Link: None yet. I'll post one soon with more pictures!
Brief Description: The picture may not show how bright and obnoxious and mish-mashy this advent calendar is, but let me tell you: it POPS on our little Christmas shelf. I finished it a couple days ago and I just can't stop staring at it! Scrapbook paper, gluestick, and washi tape make quite a makeover. I had grander plans for the advent calender but I decided to tone it down so it would actually be finished in time. I am in LOVE with this thing.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avesthel

♥ birds ♥

Ravenclaw!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013 10:51:53 PM »

It's been a few semesters since I've last played, but I'm here to join in for the Winter semester!   Smiley

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Fear of A Name (Dumbledore's Army)
Project Name: fingerless mitts
Brief Description: I faced my fear of learning something new beyond knit and purl and learned to both cast on and cast off in the middle of rows while knitting in order to create the thumb holes for the mitts.  I have actually made two pairs of this type of mitts to learn this technique.  Smiley   
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moonflame
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013 04:53:06 AM »

Wow! We just got back from visiting family in WI last night, and I was so surprised to see the new semester!  I'd forgotten all about the switchover! Smiley  How EXCITING!!!  I'm making myself wait to read the new prompts until I post this, so excuse me if this seems a bit rushed. Grin

Challenge: Sign the Parchment
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Interstate Hexis
Project Description: I wasn't really sure what my signature craft would be, since I dabble in so many, but I do a lot of knitting, and my extended family all knows about my hexipuffs now, because while we were visiting, I knitted one for everyone's cats.  (This, because one of our kitties, Wheatley, keeps raiding my basket and stealing them, so I know they're a hit with the kitties, LOL!)  Anyway, this batch was knitted in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan while we were driving home.
Project pic:

Ok, now I'm off to read the new prompts.  WHeeeeee!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013 05:10:08 AM »

Great start to the term already!

Challenge: DA (Sheild)
House: Ravenclaw
Project: Shield hat
Inspired by the shield hat's in weasley's wizard wheezes, I thought I'd have a go at a muggle variation; this hat shields it's wearer from all forms of breeze and wind, as well as rain, snow, and sleet.
I have to admit I haven't managed to extend the protection it offers much past the head yet, but I'm working on it
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013 05:17:51 AM by noodle-bug » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 88 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BOSS JOUR Featuring Gwyneth Paltrow- Fragrance, The Final Touch
BOSS JOUR Featuring Gwyneth Paltrow- Healthy Body, Nourished Mind
How to Make Your Makeup Last All Day
How to Create Beautiful Festival Makeup
DIY Bright, Glitter Nail Art Looks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...