A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art or Art Journal? Upcylcled! Pic heavy  (Read 1404 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2013 09:05:51 AM »

I am teaching a class on Art Journaling in January and since my art journal is just a sketchbook with half finished bits and pieces, I thought I should start gathering some examples. I am all for recycling, reusing, upcycling and gleaning. I don't like the look of purchased/printed embellishments, stamps etc., everything looks too commercial. So here we go:

I started with these tutorials, plus lots of googling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec04rVh0ndU and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec04rVh0ndU. I like jenniebellie's style to a point. Too much embellishment for me.
The cover is a Dried Currant box and the inside pages are paper bags. Most started as protective sheets between me and my table top. I like to finish off any paint, test stamps, stick down any unused glued bits as I go. They make a great start for the the journal pages. Others I painted, stamped and glued bits to on purpose. The cover plate features a bit of one of my paper plate paint palettes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013 09:22:15 AM »

Wow. This is how I make my altered books, too. Yours looks really neat. I can't see all the pages, but can tell that some of them have colors. Google "Art Journal You Tube" and there is a variety of artists with many techniques that you might want to borrow and include in your class. I have often changed up their examples, but it gave me ideas for how to do things...kind of a where to start launch pad.  Grin Great for you for sharing. These are really fun to make once you jump in. And there is no wrong or right. It is ART. No doubt about it. Great job. And glad that you are teaching others to also enjoy this study.  Grin

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013 09:29:08 AM »

Oh, I've been YouTubing, Googling, Pinteresting, Etsying and my mind is about to explode. It's amazing how your world opens up when you let anything be a posibility!

Of course that means that now I can't throw anything away...it might be useful! I do mixed media pieces with collage, painted fabric/lace, incorporating many found objects. It's fun to do a smaller piece like this. My next one will be another technique....hmmm which one now?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013 12:28:36 AM »

Sounds like we might share the same brain. And now on here?Huh Even more crazyness going around in the brain.
I wish to become an art therapist. Which means art that is not "graded" by skill. Just a tool to express oneself.
To share and let off steam. An outlet of sorts. I continue to collect ideas and materials for this, as well. That is why I like my journal books. I don't often share them, they are personal diary sort of things. Close friends have seen some of the pages. They get a bit miffed when I don't let them flip through the whole book, though. The rest of it is just for me. Believe it or not, I do have a silent side.  Grin You would never know it here.

Anyhow, I hope you have lots of great ideas for your class. It looks like you will. I attend the School of Hard Knocks daily {what I call my cyber searches...and learning tools}. I find something new to work on everyday.

Keeps me out of trouble  Grin ~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
cmarion3

Earth Crone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014 02:40:56 PM »

Check out the Journal craftalong! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430511.0#axzz2pNUXbN4P

I am excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014 09:37:24 AM »

It looks fab! I particularly like the details on the spine. If I were taking your class I would love to look through it, I am sure it will be very inspiring for them!

I'm not a fan of using too many pre-bought elements either, I much prefer to create my own. Although with some paper elements such as flowers it is amazing how you can customise them and make them your own with some ink or paint!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RCCorn
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014 06:21:23 AM »

Beyond beautiful. I think that it is definitely art all by itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014 04:21:29 AM »

Gorgeous journal, cmarion3! I am not a big fan of purchased elements either -- I like the challenge of making something clever on your own. (Plus, as an artist/crafter, I certainly have enough STUFF in my craft room to make my own embellishments.) I've been bringing stuff home from work -- they are doing a big clean out, and it's just amazing how much paper and folders you can reuse for art.

I am with you on jelliebellie -- I have learned tons from her, but she uses a lot of beads and pink. But she does great YouTube tutes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014 06:44:45 AM »

What a great idea to use paper bags as a protective cover for your table and then as pages! I use thin packing paper on my desk (like what you would pack plates in, for a move), and have used some of that scrap before in my art, but it always has to be glued to something sturdier. Maybe I need to move on to some craft paper.

Your journal looks great. I'll bet your class is lots of fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
LisaMarieNY
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014 01:52:48 PM »

Great  journal! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS MOST ~

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thanksgiving Roast Turkey Recipe
Baked Potato Fans Recipe
Turkey and Dumplings Recipe
Christmas Roast Turkey Breast Recipe
Sage Flavored Stuffed Pork Chops Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...