A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your floss?  (Read 1718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BriannaB03
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013 07:32:40 PM »

I have mine in a binder.  I have plastic bobbins that I have the thread wrapped around and then placed them into a plastic business card protector (like page protectors).

I have also used a big box.  I can't seem to keep them organized for too long while I'm stitching.

Brianna

p.s. I really like the idea of cutting bobbins from boxes around the house!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013 01:14:12 PM »

I'm debating on whether to un-cheapskate and buy matching boxes, or to use what mismatched boxes I have....  Tongue Roll Eyes  Maybe I'll organize into existing boxes to see how many matching boxes I might need.....

If you have existing boxes, play with stacking them before filling, I bet you could get a steady enough stack and that way you don't have to keep moving floss if one box disagrees with another if you want them in order.  Also throw a number on them with a label maker so you know which is which. 

I do that with my beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
ActsofCraftiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013 09:50:21 PM »

When my floss collection was small, I wound floss onto bobbins and stored them in one of those floss bobbin cases. When I started stitching more, I found that I hated that the bobbins made the floss kinky.

As my collection grew, I started storing my skeins individually (by color) in snack-sized zip top baggies. I don't like wasting floss, and the baggies made it easy to keep extra, unused threads clean and with the rest of the skein so I can find them easily.

For the floss I use for my shop kits, I keep my stock stored by color in larger zip top baggies in a plastic storage bin meant for scrapbook projects. I like the scrapbook project boxes because they make it easy to see what is inside and they stack easily/neatly. I store my in-progress project supplies in the scrapbook project boxes too. I usually have at least 3-4 projects going at a time, so it's nice to have everything I need for an individual project all together and ready to grab or take on-the-go if necessary. Here's an example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/actsofcraftiness/9241204363/in/photostream/

For the floss I use myself on a regular basis (partially used skeins), I keep the baggies on a metal ring. For the floss I have just to have/for possible future projects, I store the skeins together by number ranges (100s together, 200s together, 300s together, etc.).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013 09:51:17 PM by ActsofCraftiness - Reason: corrected the picture link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013 08:06:37 AM »

OMG-that is brilliant. I am so doing that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013 09:44:38 AM »

Thanks for the ideas!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MadMonstersUK
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013 08:56:49 AM »

I use the cardboard bobbins and have 2 floss boxes. I arrange them in vague colour groups, and write the DMC/Anchor number on the bobbin. It gets a bit messy when I have lots of spare 2-stranded bits though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013 07:14:15 AM »

I was able to fit all of mine into three boxes; one of reds-yellows, one of blues-greens, and one of neutrals and flesh tones.  Seems to be working.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Darlas mom
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014 11:06:22 PM »

I'm not sure if those goes here. I have an app I just bought for my iPhone and it is called xstitcher. It is made by coffee shop works and is a great app for a stock list, shopping list and WIP section. I am in no way affiliated with them just bought it and love it.

I keep my floss on bobbins and in clear boxes. I put those in my vintage train case. My project fits on there well and it's easy to transport to my store with me.
Tiff
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014 07:55:49 AM »

I need to check that app out! It sounds very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014 05:30:06 PM »

I'm not sure if those goes here. I have an app I just bought for my iPhone and it is called xstitcher. It is made by coffee shop works and is a great app for a stock list, shopping list and WIP section. I am in no way affiliated with them just bought it and love it.

I keep my floss on bobbins and in clear boxes. I put those in my vintage train case. My project fits on there well and it's easy to transport to my store with me.
Tiff

You are awesome!  I am so downloading it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Osis Dust It Mattifying Powder Review
How to Do a Half Up Long Hair Updo
How to Pick Long Hair Care Products
The Best Long Hair Styling Tips
How to Cut Long Hair Yourself
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...