A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy Store Finally Open.....Yay?  (Read 450 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighmatheson
« on: November 28, 2013 06:47:11 PM »

OK, so I finally unveiled my Etsy shop. I've already been told right off the bat (by an international friend) that my prices are wayyy too low.
Anyhow, could you guys give a glance please and let me know what you think of the wares, the prices, and also the business texts (shipping, returns, etc.).
Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/crafthappily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft Happily Yours,
Leigh
MadMonstersUK
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013 04:24:56 AM »

Your jewellery is so cute! The prices look about the same as I've seen on Folksy, so I'm not sure if they're too low or not. Maybe show the earrings on a white background so they stand out more - some of them are getting a bit lost on the cards. I know shops in the UK don't refund earrings due to hygiene reasons - is that the same in the US as it looks like you'd refund in all circumstances?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadojake
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013 12:32:52 PM »

Your jewelry is cute!

I am not sure what jewelry sells for in your area.  Have you priced handmade jewelry in your area to see how you compare?

Are you covering all your costs ...
* all supplies for making the jewelry such as the beads, string, etc.
* all overhead--equipment to make the jewelry, special lighting, magnifiers, containers to hold beads, etc.
* boxes and bags for the jewelry when sold
* mannequins
* costs for etsy
* your time

I ask if you're covering costs because your prices do seem on the low side.  You might check at craft shows or other's facebook, etsy or website who are from your area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
mrskristina
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013 11:14:12 AM »

I LOVE your items! They are too cute. (Adding some faves now!)

I think your prices are very fair and reasonable. If you are able to make a decent profit and not lose money on shipping, then I think it's all personal choice as to what you want to set your prices at.

I figure if I can pay myself essentially $15-20/hour, that is more than fair. It takes me about 30ish minutes to make a scarf from start to finish and I make a profit of roughly $9-12 depending on material costs. I take into account all of the misc. supplies (shipping stuff, paper/ink, thread, new needles, etc.) as much as I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013 04:49:57 AM »

I never charge for my time. I learned from a self made millionaire that he never charged for his time. He owned the company and after all the costs of running the business were taken out, the rest was his. All he did was take a draw against the profits. And I've done things that way since I began in this business.

Besides, when you're a one person operation, chances are you never charge or even keep track of all the time spent. If you were an employee, you definitely would though.

Do you charge for your time when:
Designing?
Ordering material?
Going to the craft store? (Time spent in transit)
Keeping track of your Etsy store and tweaking it?
Packing the orders?
Calling UPS or FEDEX or going to the Post Office to ship?
The actual cost of shipping the item?

And a lot of crafters will just sometimes sit in front of the TV at night making small items or just get ahead on some things.

I'll bet you don't keep a timesheet when doing those things, so how can you realistically arrive at a price using that method?

When I make my product, I start out by trying to find the market value of similar items. I may have to tweak my prices up or down, but when I arrive at a price where it sells, I stay there. Then I look at the IRS forms and decide what I can subtract. My time is not on there.

So I make my product, sell it, and after deductions, what's left over is mine.

The secret is that once you arrive at a selling price, you then find ways to lower your costs, and increase sales, thus increasing your profits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Werewolf Mask
How to Make a Crochet Rope
How to Do a Chevron Crochet
How to Join Crocheted Motifs
How to Crochet Christmas Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...