A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Discussion: Ideas for Holiday Kids' Crafts and Activities  (Read 586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2013 06:32:23 PM »

I do daycare for my nephews when they're out of school and am already making a list of what to do with them during the week of Christmas I'll have them. In the summer it's not as hard to entertain them, but I can't exactly make them play outside for hours at a time during winter Smiley Here are some ideas I have on how to entertain my boys during that week, please let me know if you have any more!

--Making wrapping paper like we did last year

--Embroider, I just got some new robot embroidery patterns and the boys love to embroider (or as they alternately have called it--knitting, quilting, sewing, and threading. They can't remember the word embroider Smiley )

--Gingerbread house (or rather, this year I found a Gingerbread train kit)

--Hanging our "tree," this year I am going to string lights on the wall in the shape of a tree and hang light ornaments from it. Thank you Facebook friend for the idea! Smiley

--We might even string popcorn to decorate with/pass the time since they can use needles now (even the 5 year old!)

--Making Ornaments, I found a box of ribbons and trims at the fabric store in clearance for $1. I'm going to cut tree shapes out of felt and let them glue the ribbons on to mimic garland. Also I have tons of other ornament ideas pinned, and lots of them here on Craftster!

Here's a few more ornaments we might try!

Ice skates with paper clip and felt
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=214525.0#axzz2kSsHWAym

Trees with felt and ribbon/ricrac/etc
http://www.craftster.org/forum /index.php?topic=398871.0#axzz2kSsHWAym

Kid's drawings
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418072.0#axzz2kSsHWAym

Salt Dough ornaments
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=402743.0#axzz2kSsHWAym

This would be easy, recycled Christmas cards. You could probably use Christmas wrapping paper reinforced with cardstock or cardboard too
http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2011/12/recycling-christmas-cards.html

I think you could sub the styrofoam base out for something else (a piece of cardboard?)
http://christopherandtia.blogspot.com/2010/12/handmade-yarn-wreath-ornaments-2010.html

Not so much crafty, but still sanity savers

--Going to Dollar Tree and giving them each $2 to spend

--Possibly riding the Max (light rail) out to the mall for lunch and adventures

--Walking to the park and playing (if it's dry out)

--Dance parties, turn on the music and boogie! Or, actually play Just Dance on the Wii.

Two of my boys busy at work crafting inside their pillow fort:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013 06:34:42 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
yoopidou

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013 10:45:18 PM »

Lots of great ideas already.
I would add cooking: pizzas, madeleines, shortbread, fruit salad and smoothies were always big winners at our house. They still are!
My kids also liked hammering small nails in a piece of wood. Even if it didn't look like something to me, they were very proud of their woodworking skills! They always found some use for it. For the younger ones, I would start the nailing so they would not have to put their hands under the hammer.
My parents used to make a narrow slide for toy cars with plastic tracks and fix it under the TV or in a drawer to make a slope. Then, everybody would take turn letting the little car go as far as possible. It's incredible how many hours the kids spent playing that way.
Pretend cooking with a bag of dried uncooked beans and pots and pans from the kitchen. Being allowed to use the real pots and pans( not the best ones, but they don't know it) was a real treat.
If you have a GPS, geocaching is great fun too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013 11:25:08 PM »

At that age my two children helped with making Christmas mincepies.
Also when I iced the Christmas cake they used food colouring and the leftover marzipan and plastic icing to make miniature fruits. Tiny apples and oranges with a clove stuck in one end for the stalk. Roll the oranges on a nutmeg grater to get the orange peel effect. Green food colouring for the apples and then a light dusting of red afterwards to make them look real. Miniature bananas with the black lines painted on afterwards with food colouring.
I also bought expanded polystyrene balls and they stuck beads, braid and sequins onto them with pins to make Christmas tree ornaments.  Using pins instead of glue allowed them to change their minds as to what they wanted to do.

Hope you all have a lot of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013 12:03:28 AM »

Great ideas guys, thanks! We'll definitely have to do some cooking, it's kind of hard with 3 of them since they all want to do everything, but maybe something like rolling and cutting out sugar cookies, they could each have their own area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013 04:11:07 AM »

I teach preschoolers and have kids of my own. Here's some more ideas/expansion of ideas that were already stated:

-I know for us, cooking IS always a huge hit, as many people have said.  Maybe even they could bake a cake with you, and each gets a part of it to decorate (and if you take them shopping with you for some different cake decorations, that would be another activity as well!).

-Making a tent with some chairs and a fitted sheet is always a hit.  Have a "movie day" where you all agree on one or two movies, and then make popcorn and a special drink (maybe soda, or something they aren't usually allowed to have) to go with it to eat and drink during the movie.

-Look on Pinterest to find some recipies to make no-cook playdoh or gak. 

-Make cinnamon ornaments or cornstarch ornaments (ck. on Pinterest for recipe).

-Make holiday gifts for others in the family, or for friends. (pulling out all sorts of different kinds of craft supplies and letting the kids use what they want is a hit with my kids, and keeps them busy for a long time)

-If you have stairs...put a mattress on it and couch cushions at the bottom, and let them slide down the stairs...one of my best memories as a kid!  Grin

-Play board games, video games, etc...

-Google or check Pinterest for ideas

-Teach them a new hobby, or expand on one they already have.

-Collect items from nature (i.e.-twigs, stones, leaves....) and use a shoebox and glue and let the boys go wild making nature scenes or whatever with them.

Hope these ideas help!  (My DD helped with some of them!  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Cardamom Is Used in Indian Recipes
How to Make Tandoori Chicken Marinade
How Asafetida Is Used in Indian Recipes
What Are the Differences Between North and South Indian Food
How to Make Tandoori Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...