A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: funky travel bag. . .(pictures)  (Read 220758 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenniebentham
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2010 02:50:46 PM »

oooooooo - seeing this thread again has made me remember I didn't post mine. I made it last year out of fish vinyl for a family swimming bag. I put a dividing 'pocket' in it and one side is lined in the vinyl to be waterproof and the rest is just lined in cotton. I made some elasticated loops to hold bits and bobs and also pockets for my husbands glasses, car keys and phones. Its working really well for us and I'm so glad I plucked up the courage to work with the vinyl.
Thanks for such a fab bag!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2010 07:14:33 AM »

So cute and would make a great diaper bag with that material as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
bellyjewel

"Holy haberdashery!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #212 on: December 12, 2010 03:55:39 PM »

This tute was so awesome I had to make a pair for my self. With walmart
closing out its fabric sections I got the camo butterfly material for $1 a
yard. I ended up lining them with khaki pants I was planning to get rid of.

[img]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/196826_13Sep10_DSCN1061.JPG[/img

I've been taking them everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps just pm me

my pinterest: http://pinterest.com/bellyjewel/
LDesjardin
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2013 01:38:53 PM »

TY for this tutorial. I have made a lot of bags, but never one like this before. It turned out great. When my 9-year-old saw mine he wanted one in camo. You can see them both (and a matching toiletries bag) here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426071.0

Couple of notes. I used fusible fleece on the outter fabric and heavy weight fusible on the lining. I found it helpful on the second bag to clip the interfacing at the corners of the front/back panels. That way going around the corners with my sewing machine was less daunting. I also added a zipper pocket to the inside. The handles are not sewn into the seam but sewn all the way up the front and back panels. They are reinforced with a boxed-x that goes through both the lining and the main fabric. I'm pretty confident it will hold.

Someone asked how the lining is sewn to the main bag. This is what I did. Make the lining and the main bag. The zipper will be sewn to the main bag. Before you sew the pieces together for the lining prepare the zipper panels. I did this by folding under one edge about 1/2 inch on each panel and pressing. This is the edge where the zipper would set if it were there. Then complete the lining. There will be a gap where the zipper would be and that gap is where your folded edges are sort of facing each other. At the end, you will insert the lining into the main bag wrong sides together. Use the folded under edge and secure that to the underside of the zipper with lots of pins. From the outside of the bag, run another line of top stitching to the zipper panel. I just placed one row of stitches on top of the other topstitching, but you could place it below or above the top stitching - just make sure it grabs the turned under part of the lining. This will secure the lining to the bag. There will be a bit of a gap in the lining - that is okay and normal. You could hand sew this closed if you wanted to.

Alternately, you could sew the lining and the main fabric together for each pattern piece and then assemble it with the exposed seams on the inside of the bag. Sort of what you would do if you were quilting the bag. Then you'd have to cover the exposed seams with seam binding. But let me tell you, unless you use no interfacing - don't do it like this. That is how I made my first bag. Those corners are a bear to get around with so many layers. I have a heavy duty machine and sewing those corners was not pretty and my machine made some pretty horrible noises. Plus you have to go back over those same corners with that blasted seam binding. Yuck!

As for leaving a hole and flipping it inside out, like you might with other types of bags, that will not work with a bag like this. It has to do with the gusset/zipper combination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1crescentcity
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2013 08:32:53 AM »

I love the funky travel bag, but as a newbie sewer, it would have been nice if the tutorial was a tad more detailed, especially with the lining. I am going to attempt to make the bag, hopefully I won't waste my fabric. Thank you anyway for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
1crescentcity
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2013 09:02:57 AM »

Could somebody explain step 2?...what does SEW THIS mean? and sew this to the edges, there are 4 sides..please:/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simonndanish
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2013 11:49:49 PM »

I am very much interesting about the art work. Wit that interest, I learned classes about the making of bags. The details which are shared about the making of funky travel bags is really more useful. Bags are real play a vital role in many kind of situations especially in travel. We can keep our stuff safely in bags.

louis vuitton purse
affordable louis vuitton replicas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Michael Katakis
Meet Author Carlos Fairs
Anthony McCarten Talks About Show of Hands
Will Bunch Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
Simon Montefiore Talks About Sashenka
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...