A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Restoring Lily Table Loom  (Read 750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: November 26, 2013 06:42:48 AM »

YEAH!!!!! My first loom just came in the mail, and she's so beautiful! Hopefully you fibre lovers can help me out with some tips to get her going.

Everything that turns squeaks. Everything metal is oxidizing. No cracks or warping in the frame that I could see, and other than a front tie-on stick, I'm good to go. Specifically, all the shafts for the heddles are rusting. The reed and heddles just seem to be dirty, and maybe just beginning to oxidize.

So: beeswax for the squeaking wood? Mineral oil for the oxidized metal? Or should I just go buy a bottle of gun oil for the whole shebang?

Edit: loom pron.

So after work, I gave her a more thorough look. Apparently, I'm in for ride. The reed is rusting, the whole frame can torque, and some carp-face did a crappy job of lacquering it. That's what I get for being all excited by a pre-run-off-to-work once-over... I'm committed now, though, because I started taking it apart Tongue
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013 07:44:44 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013 05:00:29 PM »

So we've been having some fun in our house with "looming" jokes. My roommate keeps saying there's something looming in the kitchen (where I worked on it), or there's something looming in the living room, or holding it over my boyfriend's head while asking me to look at what's looming over said boyfriend Tongue

After much vinegaring, mineral oiling, scrubbing and flossing with butcher's twine, I got it to a satisfactory state of repair. Then I spent an hour and a half in the shed, bundled in a parka and ski pants whilst I drilled and routed and sanded myself some stick shuttles and a tie-on stick out of 24 inch paint stir sticks. Now I'm merrily looming over my loom Cheesy I love how tiny it is! It fits perfectly on a TV dinner stand, so I can sit on the ottoman and weave merrily away during movies.

The reed is full of resin still, so at some point I'll have my boyfriend take it to school and glass bead sand blast it. For anyone thinking of getting a Lily, the reed ends sit in pockets, so you can't just pull it out. I'll have to mallet apart the beater to get it out, and then I'll replace the nails with screws for an easy switcheroo in the future. It's a 12 dent reed right now, but I think I want a 10 or 8.

In a day or two, I'll be posting in the finished objects forum Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013 06:44:21 PM »

Wow. I so much want a loom. Sounds like you have done a great job to restring things. And fix it up for what you are wanting. I can't wait to see your finished objects. I only have an itsy bitsy loom for beading and necklace jewelry type stuff. Found that at a thrift store...could not pass it up.

Your homemade shuttles look very good. I hope they work grand for you. If not, I am sure you can modify them. You seem to know what you are talking about. Weaving is fun. I do table weaving, where I make my own kind of stiff cardboard looms, just for small projects. But they eventually break apart, and I have to make new ones for new projects. And the over under thing is not controlled with the foot pedal. Just a needle.

One day *sigh*.  Grin Glad you were able to resurrect Lily. Is she part of the Adam's Family?  Cheesy Just kidding.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deviled Egg Trio
Perfect Recipe For Burger Lovers
Taste A Cronut? Just One Of The Hot NYC Food Trends
Burger of the Week: Football Fans Devour Opponents
Anita Lo: Serving Innovation
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...