A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with pattern - Circle or gathered skirt?  (Read 609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wesnerin
« on: November 21, 2013 03:06:13 AM »

Hi Everyone,

New member, first time poster...  Hopefully you can help me with a project I'm starting.

I'm going to tackle my wedding dress!  I'm an OK sewer, with a pattern, but I'm trying to copy a designer dress that I can no longer get in the shops (its from a few seasons ago).  I could just order the dress from China, but I really want to have a go at making it myself and maybe even putting a few of my own special touches in it.

Thing is, I can't work out what kind of skirt it has.  Is it a circle shirt (or even a double circle) or a gathered skirt?  What are your thoughts on the best way to mimic this look?   For the top, i'm planning on buying a pattern for a corset top and then ruching over the top.  And i'm yet to decide if i'm making or buying a petticoat.

I would love to hear your thoughts and any advice you have before I start out!

You can see the dress here :  http://www.unique-vintage.com/white-organza-lace-floral-strapless-length-isadora-wedding-gown-p-22491.html 

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013 02:59:18 PM »

It just looks gathered to me. The outermost layer seems pretty simple; it's the stuff underneath/petticoats that makes it so full.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013 10:46:34 AM »

What a pretty dress!
I think it's either a circle or gored skirt.  A gathered skirt has more fullness at the waist, and if you use the "enlarge" feature, you can see there is no gathering at the waist.  EDIT:  make it a circle skirt; the sheer fabric would show seams.

net for the petticoat is kind of a pain to work with--I've made three poodle skirts with matching crinolines in the last couple of years, so I've developed a strategy.

To get that shape, start with a piece of net that is 3-4 times your waist size and about 1/3 the length of the skirt (from waist to hem).  
Gather onto that a piece that is 3-4 times longer; then a third piece 3-4 times longer than the second.

I found it easiest to hand gather and hand baste, then machine stitch.  

For the waistband, you can either add a couple inches to the height of the top piece and fold it down to make a casing,

or gather the top edge onto a ribbon that is your waist size plus a couple inches, and add a hook and eye closure; don't seam the net at the ends of the ribbon so you have a gap that will let you pull the petticoat on.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013 10:49:33 AM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013 05:09:01 PM »

The dress you like reminds me of this pattern: http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/3878/#.UsDHf6WFXyc  I hope this helps you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014 10:29:02 AM »

I think either would work, but the shape looks like a circle skirt with a crinoline underneath. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build Your Own Volcano
How to Make a Statue of Liberty Crown for the 4th Of July
How to Make a 4th of July Hat
How to Make 4th of July Flag Invitations
How to Make Handmade Books
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...