A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is artwork less 'art' when it is made with Copic markers?  (Read 1377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013 05:31:42 PM »

Doesn't make it "more" art, but people will react to the effects.

Which comes to the point of why one makes art - does one make it for oneself, or for others, or for reactions?  Or  all of the above? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommai
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013 07:34:25 AM »

I admit it! I did it! I used to be a little snobby and skeptical about photoshop and things when they first starting becoming more popular! I just really like the feel of other materials in my hands, and like to be very hands on with art. I was also a teenager. ;P Now I'm smarter, though, and really respect and admire the work others do in photoshop and the like, even if I don't use it myself, which is mostly because I don't have it or a graphics tablet (or other fancy device that would let me make art with the way that I work best electronically) and also haven't learned it. Right now it seems like an intimidating learning curve to me, and also I just don't want to invest that way right now, time or money or brain space. Anyway, the point is, some people might think that way, but they can just get over it, and it's mostly a personal problem. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockmygypsysoul

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013 12:33:22 PM »

Doesn't matter in the least and that's coming from someone who has never used a copic marker in her life  Wink  Seriously, art as an entire concept is a living, growing, and evolving thing just like law and religion.  These things are big things and they aren't supposed to be stagnant, even if the change is only within yourself.  I don't understand HOW things like digital art is art because I don't know how it's made at all (whereas with markers I at least have some clue) but I can still understand that it IS art even though I don't get the mechanics or the desire to make anything without using your hands  Cheesy  Hell, I did a lino cut lately based on an image that wasn't mine to begin with (I'm not selling it or anything, it was just for a swap) and frankly I found the lino cut itself - not even getting to the print - to be art.  In fact, I considered it to be art more than much of what I do, including painting  Cheesy

I guess I just think of it as the traditional art techniques and then modern art techniques; I like them both and I like them blended, too!

Seriously, if someone says that to you or challenges your work, tell them you make and that's all they need to know and then tell them to suck it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Little owl
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013 03:29:27 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the replies about this question.
I can see that most here think very simulair to how I feel about it.
I loved something that 'stillatthetop' said: "Eye....Hand....Heart. When you put them together, they spell ART"
I think I will make myself remember that for ever  Cheesy I like it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My tiny Etsy shop!
http://eerinvink.etsy.com
TigersSterne

The Tiger's Sterne - artistic lit student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013 06:28:12 AM »

Of course it is art! The technique matters much more than the medium and everyone has their own preference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Literature and poetry lover who likes to make things Wink
HeatherG

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013 11:34:35 AM »

I do not think it is less art at all.  I will say that my art talent has increased by leaps and bounds since I started using Copics.  I've learned a lot about shading, light sources etc.  it is no different than using watercolour pencils or crayons, just easier to have the colour families labelled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013 06:38:29 PM »

IT is beautiful art. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
danhoneybun
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014 10:01:28 PM »

I think that art is art no matter what material you use. I personally adore Copic markers and judging by the incredible artwork you have put up here, you ARE an artist who creates gorgeous pieces of artwork that you should be proud of. You are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClaireMarquee

art from the ether

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014 08:48:00 AM »

I agree with what someone said earlier, that copics tend to create more of an "illustrative" feel to a piece. But that deosn't make it any less of an art! It all depends on what kind of vibe you're trying to convey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
My First Book Became A Lifetime Movie
Author And Mom Describes How Divorce Led To Her Steamy Memoir
CoolAge Blogfest Winners at Spring Fest, IIT Kharagpur
Jerry Stahl LIVE
All Fishermen Are Liars by John Gierach
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...