A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grow as an artist?  (Read 1156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2014 05:43:26 PM »

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone on Craftster More Art board has any ideas or a place to get ideas about how to grow as an artist. I live in a small community that has some art-movement, but not much. I want to see growth in this movement in my community, and also for me personally. I appreciate any ideas and comments. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014 10:19:25 AM »

I also live in a small community and find it can be some work to grow as an artist.  I do belong to an Art Society group, which helps-we do an open studio once a month which is great for helpful critique, learning new techniques and just being around creative energy.  Personally I am a fan of on-line classes, you can find so many out there for whatever you are interested in doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014 04:32:30 PM »

I feel I've grown tremendously as an artist, or at least as a craftsperson, due to my passion for Craftster, especially swaps, which keep me exercising my creative muscles.  I have practically no "real life" association with other artists, though there is an active arts and crafts community in this locale, as far as I can tell.  I'm just a hermit and it would be excruciatingly painful to try to hobnob with other artists.  Tongue  By "grow as an artist" do you mean improve your career as an artist (shows, sales) or improve the quality and/or quantity of your art, or do you mean increase the depth of feeling and meaning in your art - or all of the above?

I still find it very difficult to make works which reflect things that are important to me personally, so in that sense, I still have a long way to grow as an artist, though at this mature age it should not be a problem, it still is.  Roll Eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
https://www.gofundme.com/ernestthesiger
http://immenseminiatures.com/
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014 10:45:55 AM »

Living in small rural areas can present challenges. Or even if you have restraints.

For me I find the internet a source of great inspiration. Craftster is one of my favorites, of course. Check YouTube for videos, as well as online classes. There are so many resources to explore, and in a range of prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StudioANF
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015 05:53:53 PM »

I've been on my own as an artist for a little over a year now (quit my day job and everything) and it can certainly be tough.  have you tried looking into groups that meet up on occasion in your area?  When I moved to my current locale, I stumbled across meetup.com and found a wonderful group of crafty people I can proudly call my friends now.  There might be an art group there you can join, or start your own? 

also, if you want more exposure for your artwork and put yourself out there as an artist and bring other creatives into the "spotlight", so to speak, why not try talking to your local library and see if you can put on an art exhibition using their space?  Most times, Libraries will be thrilled to host just for the extra foot traffic in their location.  Who doesn't love a good cultural event?

Growing as an artist is slow going and it is definitely not without its' risks, but I find it completely worth it. Smiley I hope my ramblings helped a little!

Good Luck!

-Nichole
Studio ANF
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drawitdaily
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016 07:35:11 PM »

Yeah I've been wondering about this lately too.  Comparing where I am now to where I used to live there is virtually no art community and when I was in school inspiration was everywhere and growth was inevitable.  I think one way you can go about it is to look around online for works that you like or that grab you and then reach out to the artist.  I think most people respond well when they're asked to talk about their work.  As the previous poster mentioned about the libraries -- I've noticed this at the local cafes and coffee shops near me too.  

Mary
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016 03:01:22 AM by HSG - Reason: Modified to comply with Craftster rules. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Ponytail Hair Trend from Europe
Get That Look: Lived in Waves
Household Items You Never Knew Work as Haircare Products
9 Celebrities Who Look Stunning with Red Hair
Summer Shags Hair Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Wonderful Washi
Meatless Monday: Aubergine, Tomato and Goat Cheese Bake
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...