A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Detailed Tree with 10 Felt Ornaments (5 sets)  (Read 842 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas , toddler , christmas_tree , felt , ornament , gift_for_child  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 20, 2013 08:25:43 PM »

Okay so this year I decided to take on the task of creating a wall-hanging tree with felt ornaments.  I've seen these on Pinterest but actually derived the idea from one we had growing up - it hung on the wall and there were lots of ornaments and as we did good deeds during advent, you'd get to put an ornament on the tree.  Eventually we would each sort of adopt a particular ornament type and claim it and it evolved into a bit of a competition over who could do the most good deeds and have the most of their ornament on the tree.

Anyway, fast forward 25 years and I wanted something like this for some of my nieces and nephews but I know their parents are unlikely to really encourage it the way I'd like so I thought to do it for my younger nieces and nephews who are too young to do it that way right now anyway.  I have five older nieces and nephews (ages 7-13) and then another 5 that are all under 3 (and a 6th who may be here before Christmas even comes!) and they're all in different households (three are biological and 2 are my best friends who are totally family), so I needed 5 sets.

Plus, if we're being really honest right now, I'm thinking of doing ornaments for everyone for next Christmas and I'd really rather the little ones have something to distract them and thus hopefully my gifts will remain in tact a little longer  Wink

And here they are all together...

I took more detailed pictures of the different types of ornaments but I won't bore you with all of them now.  But the types were:
- Round monogrammed initial
- Teardrop retro-style glass
- Poinsettias
- Holly
- Dove
- Candy cane
- Gingerbread person
- Snowflake
- Stars
- Golden6+3.9-
9- snitches (Christmas isn't Christmas without a touch of Harry Potter, right?!)

The trees are green fleece and all of the ornaments are felt.  Everything is stuffed except the holly and the candy canes (well one was but I didn't like it).  I decided to go ahead and use velcro on the backs of the ornaments - all black so it gives the kids extra learning to match the black-to-black velcro pieces.

This was my first time to attempt any embroidery and it's all exceptionally novice but I'm okay with that.  I learned a lot and I can tell a huge difference between my early stuff and my later pieces.

Here's what they will look like (only the tree will be hung on the wall)

FYI - If I were to start all over, I would do a few things differently - namely, stick with one or two basic shapes (like the round) - these sewed up SO much faster than the other nonsense.  Secondly, skip the metallic embroidery thread unless you're more practiced with it - loved the effect, passionately hated the work.

Happy Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013 10:20:03 PM »

Awww. My Mom did this for my Sis and me, too! Only hers were flat and not the stuffy kind. I still have the ones that I claimed. What a wonderful project, and you said 5 sets? Wow! The kids will go crazy over these. Great job for the Holidays!  Wink

~T

Another thought for the metallic thread... a product called Sewer's Aid. It is an oil that you work on the thread a bit, just a touch on your fingers...and stitch through on some remnant fabric first...and it gets things working so the thread does not break on machine. Put your fingers on top where the thread is coming off the spool. Just lightly pinch the thread as it comes off the spool with your oily fingers. And let it run through. Then you are good to go. Also check your upper tension {looser} , and make sure your needle is sharp, and the right kind for the fabric. My kind of oil right now is a Dritz brand, but there are many others available.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013 10:42:52 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
ceralea
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013 12:49:54 AM »

That is a definite labour of love,  I love the different snowflake patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherie

There is no such thing as rubbish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013 11:50:30 AM »

This is gorgeous.  I made loads of felt tree ornaments and 'jumper bling' last year with my grandchildren. I cut out the shapes with my die cutter and the kids sewed, glued and drew on them to make them unique.  I think I was still vaccuming sequins and glitter in March but it was great fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 3/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 10/11
How to Knit a Hat Brim with a Loom
How to Knit a Scarf on with a Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Scarf on with a Loom Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...