A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
851 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need some felting advice and recommendations...  (Read 568 times)
Tags for this thread: air_freshener  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dude
« on: November 19, 2013 08:04:37 AM »

whats up craftster community,

brand new member here. I'm also a guy with zero crafting experience and in need of your vast crafting knowledge. I want to create some quality car air fresheners that will hold the scent. Could anyone recommend any cheap but quality materials I could use? I recently read an article on using a blender with paper products and using a mold for the design, which sounds pretty interesting. Ideally, I would like to avoid gluing a piece of fabric to cardboard/stock. This might be a stupid question, but can fabrics be blended into a moldable paste? 

Apologize if this is the wrong thread, but it seemed to fit the best. I really appreciate any help. Completely new to crafting. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013 07:14:06 AM »

Hi Dude,

You might try something like 100% wool felt cloth. Wool will absorb 30% its weight in moisture which is a good wicking percentage. You can get good felt in a variety of thicknesses as well. Felt cloth is made of a lot of different materials these days. Some is even made from 100% recycled plastic bottles - I have no idea how well that would wick the aromatic oils.

If you wanted to create something that was a bit more decorative, you could use a variety of wool felt colors and do a simple design by combining two layers of different colors and cutting holes in the top layer so the bottom color shows through. You could probably find instructions for making felt cloth dolls (like gingerbread men or nut crackers) some of which are stuffed - which would give you the option to stuff it with something like dried lavender which is often used in sachets.

You might consider wet or needle felting where fibers are manipulated into various shapes. There is no law saying that car fresheners need to be flat. Wink

How long the scent would last would probably have more to do with what aromatic oils you use than with the material to which it is applied.

Hope that is of some help to you!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013 07:36:28 AM by Harlan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Prittens and other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
CraftArtEDU - exception classes from exceptional instructors
http://www.craftartedu.com
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings
http://www.intimateforest.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Five Things The Social Network Got Wrong
Doug Jaeger on How to Create Collaborative Film Project Teams
Behind the Scenes of Montana Fare
What Is a Timelapse Video
How to Stage a Hit and Run Using Special Effects
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...