A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for ideas on updating a tunic  (Read 597 times)
Tags for this thread: tunic , alterations , refashion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elendill
« on: November 18, 2013 03:06:32 AM »

I have a very basic tunic (I actually have 3 of them, in different colors and wear none), like this:

I like the shape of it, but it has a couple of problems. First of all, since it's a rather clingy knit and has no focal points at all, it really shows off every wrong curve of the body. And second, it has got lots of tiny little holes on the tummy (from belts, I suppose). So I'd like to eliminate these problems, and for that I thought of using this long strip of stretchy fabric I cut off some oversized dress (it's about 12.5"x135,5"):

Now, being a beginner in sewing, I could do something very simple, like this:

But I wonder if there's something a little more interesting I could do with it, may be something less straight and symmetric. May be add something to the top as well, for another focal point.

So, please, does anyone have any ideas, that are simple enough, yet interesting?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013 08:51:37 AM by meleriffic - Reason: Revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013 05:14:37 PM »

Clingy knit....line it with a polyester. Just draw up a pattern based on the main frame shape. Just a bit smaller...like 1/2" narrower on each side. Just trace it, then stitch, and your seam allowance will pull it in just right.
Attach at the shoulder seams, and you can tack it on the inside hemline, just a bit. It helps to keep it in place when washing. Oh...and fabric softner sheets. I have long hair and carry a lot of static, especially in the winter.

I like your polka dots! And a neat sketch. But, I am almost thinking a kicky pleat skirt at the bottom, with some ruffle frill. Maybe 8" long...just a retro kick. But you could still cover over the "belt boo-boo" and make that fit in with the mix. With a thin waistline thing going on.

Then perhaps a fabric rose on one shoulder at the top. Generally on the left. And you could make that as a "pin on" broach...so you could change it up...and maybe make one the polka dot, and one in red? Or pink...or any other color that could coordinate...everything goes good with black! Then you could swap them out...depending on what you wished to wear, and your SHOES? Purse, etc. Just pin on the new color flower to match. Google it. They are easy to make, and a pin back is easy to glue to fabric.

The roses are basically a "tube" that you stitch, then wrap round and round. And stitch together on the base. Then glue your pin back. You could probably cheat and get away with a large safety pin on the underside of the dress to attach it, too. Just ideas. I love all the re-con that is shared here.

~T

Fart/ reason for "left" is because dance partner has right hand on your waist. "His side", and left is on your shoulder. His side. That way he does not muck up your flower. You can also wear it in your hair.  Roll Eyes The clip or barrett, can also be modified.  Roll Eyes

I don't know how wonderful you will fit in this outfit, but I wish you great outcomes all the same.

Out out, with double ~TT
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013 08:40:08 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Elendill
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013 12:43:13 PM »

Thank you so much, I especially love the idea of a pleat skirt! Two color roses might be nice too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Weave at Ends
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...