A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two questions, what fabric and what's this called?  (Read 526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

msminnamouse
« on: November 16, 2013 01:44:48 PM »

Hey guys. I need to make treat pouches for animal training. So I need a fabric that's waterproof, or at least water resistant. What kind of fabrics would that be? (Scotchguarding would be unsuitable, I'd think as the pouches would need to be washed and I don't know if it's toxic.)

Also, does anyone know what these kind of hinges are called? http://www.blackdog.net.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=74&product_id=133

A lot of treat pouches use them so that they can be propped open or closed semi-securely to keep out nosey animals. I'd like to use them in mine too. But I can't find a supplier until I know what they're called.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jennable
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013 02:24:00 PM »

You're going to want to use a PUL fabric (polyurethane laminated)- and if you're concerned about them being food-safe, I'd go with one called Eco-PUL... I have no clue about the hinge, I'm sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SharaLavallee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013 07:14:02 PM »

Looks like a snap purse closure.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChrisSews
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013 10:37:29 AM »

The hinges are sometimes called squeeze frames or snap frames...look for them from purse making supplies.

As for the fabric.  I've made some treat bags for my dogs out of packcloth and then lined with nylon ripstop with a polyurethane or silicone coating.  The coating makes it waterproof and the nylon is a smooth fine weave that wipes clean easily, which is nice for moist treats like bits of hot dog and cheese.  The packcloth is heavier so makes a nice pouch that holds it shape well and is really durable.  Both can be bought for outdoor fabric stores...I've bought from http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#silicone%20ctd%20rs  and http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/All-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics.  I've seen these fabrics at box stores (like Joanns) at times but don't know if most stores keep them in stock.

You could use PUL as it's waterproof but the front side is a cotton knit which is soft and textured...great for soft clothing like baby diapers but it will absorb moisture and smells as well as collect dirt and hair.   Also you still have to line it with something as the polyurethane coating will rub off if left exposed.  It's also a knit so doesn't hold it shape as well.  It's doable but wouldn't be my 1st choice.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Motion Editor in Flash CS4
How to Use the Spray Brush Tool in Flash CS4
How to Draw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
How to Create Live Paint Groups in Illustrator CS4
How to Use Key Object Alignment in Illustrator CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...