A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt out of linen, some dyed with indigo  (Read 980 times)
Tags for this thread: line , quilt , indigo  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Another Jennifer
« on: November 13, 2013 08:54:12 PM »

I have recently learned how to dye with natural indigo - it's a blast.  I started with linen and some of it ended up quite light and blotchy because I didn't know how to prep the fabric.  Also, cotton seems to take the dye better than linen so I've switched over to cotton.*
Anyhoo, I took my practice pieces and turned them into a quilt.  Every piece of fabric is linen and was thrifted. 

*PS - just because I'm curious and obsessed:  have you dyed with indigo?  Do you find the same thing?  Tell me all about it!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen

I blogged whatever project you are looking at right here:  jenniferfalkowski.c om/
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013 09:20:59 PM »

I know that liquid starch {and bluing} can help the color to adhere. And so can regular white vinegar. I believe indigo to be a plant dye, so vinegar would be a better bet. Same with dying using onion skins, or berries, or other plant matters for color. Your greens from spices or herbs are fun to experiment with. So is coffee, or tea? Bluing is more for your polyesters. It gives them stick power! Oh, and don't forget rhubarb! Wonderful color. Just boil some up {not in a food pan...the leaves are toxic!) And you get a wonderful magenta shade. I keep separate pans for my crafts.  Grin

Soak your fabric, add the "mordant", then wring out and dry. Then soak again in the base mordant solution.

For clarification: the mordant would be your starch, bluing, or vinegar. Add it first to the color factor {tree of choice...boiled funny juice  Grin} then squeeze, dry, and soak again in just the mordant...no more color needed. Well, unless you wished it, but then repeat with a final coating of the mordant. I have had great luck this way with fabric.

I am sure that our fellow spinners on this site could add many more thoughts to my ideas. They dye thread here all the time. And certainly know more than just what I am shareing. There are many additional mordant products out there...like copper, magnesium...it can get complicated. But for just dying up some quilt fabric...eh....keep it simple!  Cheesy

~T

And yes, cotton takes color best. Polyester resists. That is because it is a woven plastic! Silk is a fine fiber to work with, again a natural fiber...not plastic.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013 11:00:30 PM »

Looks great! I've never tried any dyeing at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Another Jennifer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013 12:15:31 PM »

Stillatthetop!  One of the awesome cool things about indigo is that it requires no mordant!  It's very basic...high pH...so vinegar (an acid) neutralizes it.  It's stinks, though.  Whoa!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen

I blogged whatever project you are looking at right here:  jenniferfalkowski.c om/
Juliska
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013 02:08:07 AM »

Beautiful! Reminds me on Japanese Boro!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Genova Talks About Still Alice
The Bone Box Book Trailer
Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman Talks About Long Way Down
Ted Bell Talks About Tsar
Eric Weiner Talks About The Shadow Market
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...