A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you dispose of your old sewing machines?  (Read 1793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rossie
« on: November 12, 2013 03:35:58 PM »

I have just upgraded my sewing machine, and now must deal with two very dead machines.  It feels completely wrong to be chucking them out, even though I know one of them is completely beyond repair.  Any suggestions as to the most appropriate place for them? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013 03:38:29 PM »

offer it on freecycle for spares?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Krissy.me
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013 06:53:13 AM »

Mine are down the basement... I suppose someday my kids will be left with that problem. 

We live in a rural area and my parents have a farm out in the country and my dad keeps a pit open for larger things that don't burn.   They keep a burn barrel for regular trash like most farmers around here.   So we have tossed old unwanted items into that pit from time to time that we don't know how else to dispose of.  Then it gets buried when it's full and a new one started.  Which can take several years!   I guess it would be similar to the landfill on a much much much smaller scale.   But lots of local places have a city dump where you can take things.  I think here they charge by the truckload so that wouldn't be worth it to take out for two machines.   I think a lot of people also bury them in their trash bins so they are taken away with the weeks trash.  You may want to consider something like that for the one that is beyond repair.  But for the one that may be repaired or still used.... perhaps giving it away to someone who will have a use for it would be a good idea.  There are lots of places now that communities have set up to advertise such items to your local area. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013 11:11:43 PM »

List as a free or only a small fee for parts on craigslist or something like that.  OR at a yard sale. 

Do any local sewing shops take trade ins?  They might be able to use parts or something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013 10:58:04 AM »

Are they older machines, from the 1980s or before?  They can be valuable for their lovely metal parts, and are often worth fixing.
Confession:  I have 4 in my garage, one that I've had since it was new, one that provides parts for the first one, and two that I got on Freecycle to learn to fix machines.  One is now working and promised to another freecycler, the other...well, maybe I'll get to is someday.

Newer machines have plastic/nylon parts that wear out after a decade or so.  It would cost more to fix them than to buy a comparable new machine.  I would (and did) harvest the easily removable metal parts, and take the rest to the dump.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014 08:30:37 AM »

I seem to hoard dead machines in my basement...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Slutty Brownies
Unbelievably Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Bread
How to Make Your Own Salty Caramel Sauce
Apple Butter Layer Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...