A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
826 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wire Wrap Bear Tooth Necklace  (Read 695 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 11, 2013 02:28:41 AM »

One of my coworkers knows I do crafty stuff.  He saw the coyote tooth necklace I wear (I didn't make it, as it's carved and drilled), and asked me if I could drill his bear tooth.
I told him I really don't drill, since there's too much of a risk of shattering the piece, but I could wire wrap if he wanted.  Ted really perked up and brought me his bear tooth the next day. 

It ended up being only gold toned wire, since I couldn't seem to find ANY real gold wire in town and only had silver on hand.  It turned out really well, and I didn't have to up charge for the high price of real gold. 

I'm kind of bummed out that I didn't take a picture of it in my hand or next to something for size reference.  The widest part was about the span of my thumb, and it was over an inch long.  Like the first two joints of my index finger.

It's a pretty solid piece now.  He'd really have to do something to it to loose it.

I got kind of fancy there too on the loop for the leather.  I went with some buckskin lace I had in this lovely shade of brown.  It doesn't have a clasp, since it is for a guy who just wanted it as a tie on. 

Normally, I'd soak it in some hydrogen peroxide prior to wrapping to end up cleaning the gunk, but Ted wanted the natural patina.  Honestly, it works with the lace color. 

He was really thrilled to get it back, and paid me a lot more than the price I quoted him.  Plus he gave me a cigar box!  (I LOVE wooden boxes!)  I'm glad he liked it so much.  Next time he gets a bear, it sounds like I'll be busy again.  I told him claws come out well too, and not to snap the root off the tooth, since it looks even cooler with the whole thing. 

It's SO much fun to work with hunters! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
lady4feet
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013 06:32:45 AM »

This looks great. I agree with your coworker on leaving the natural patina, it compliments the gold and leather nicely. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013 07:21:27 AM »

I think you did a great job on this, I'm glad he likes it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013 09:36:28 AM »

Gross! Not really, just kidding. Animal art is messy. I am a tree hugger, but I still enjoy animal parts for decoration.
You did a fine job with this. I am glad your friend was happy!

Drilling teeth is not hard, BTW. Just takes a porcelean bit, and water to keep it cool. And don't press hard. Let the drill do the work, and cool it with water as you work. If you have extra hands to spray the water as you drill, all the better. Latch the tooth down firmly with a grip of some sort. Anvil, clamp, even something to wrap around it and tack it down with a nail on a board. Just to hold it steady. The reason they shatter: A: tooth too old, and dried out, B: You pressed too hard with the bit, and did not give it a chance to grip and work.

I wish you luck with your projects. I like this one. The wire is a neat element, too. But, you can also wire with the hole!  Grin Just ideas. I am full of those.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013 04:30:26 PM »

This rocks Listessa!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013 04:42:07 PM »

Pinned to Craftster's Jewelry & Trinkets Pinboard!

http://www.pinterest.com/craftsterorg/jewelry-trinkets/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013 10:18:26 PM »

Thanks everyone! 
You should have seen Ted showing it off after I gave it back.  I was really glad he liked it that much.  Some people thought I had a fancy little eye that I inserted into the tooth itself, rather than wrapped out of the wire. 

I'm pretty excited, I think it's my first Craftster Pinterest pinning.  Cheesy

Gross! Not really, just kidding. Animal art is messy. I am a tree hugger, but I still enjoy animal parts for decoration.
You did a fine job with this. I am glad your friend was happy!

Drilling teeth is not hard, BTW. Just takes a porcelean bit, and water to keep it cool. And don't press hard. Let the drill do the work, and cool it with water as you work. If you have extra hands to spray the water as you drill, all the better. Latch the tooth down firmly with a grip of some sort. Anvil, clamp, even something to wrap around it and tack it down with a nail on a board. Just to hold it steady. The reason they shatter: A: tooth too old, and dried out, B: You pressed too hard with the bit, and did not give it a chance to grip and work.

I wish you luck with your projects. I like this one. The wire is a neat element, too. But, you can also wire with the hole!  Grin Just ideas. I am full of those.

~T
Cheesy  Thanks! 
I actually have really bad luck drilling different small items.  Regular big stuff for work, I can make things work, but little things seem to succumb to a slight natural wiggle I have.  I can't complain.  The wiggle doesn't bother anything else really. 

If I actually set up my dremel with a good bit and a press set up, I'd play more.  Plus, I hate cleaning up the bone dust too.  I suppose I could bring my own bit and throw it on the drill press at work if I really wanted in the future. 
I might have to gather some tester antler bits, bone, and teeth.  Looks like I'll have buttons and beads if all goes well! 

Thank you all so very much.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
xmissmayhemx
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013 12:10:04 AM »

Wow I love this! I have a coyote tooth that I found in the desert and now I know what I want to do with it! Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr photos!
Stars and Sparrows
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013 09:03:23 PM »

You're welcome! 
I can't wait to see how your coyote tooth comes out.  If you run into an issue, shoot me a message and maybe I can help out.  Smiley

I LOVE coyote teeth in jewelry. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Miso Soup at Home
How to Prepare Kadhai Paneer
How to Prepare Yakitori
How to Cook Yum Nuea
How to Cook Pad Thai Jay
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...