A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cottage Redesign (lots of pics)  (Read 1722 times)
Tags for this thread: washi_tape  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mutantstar
« on: November 09, 2013 09:12:05 PM »

So my current project on the go is redesigning my cottage.  My husband and I purchased the home from my grandmother because I couldn't see it leaving our family.  I spent most of my summers there while growing up and it holds lots of memories.  I loved how she designed the space but it's time for my own spin on things.  My main projects are the kitchen and bathroom.  The kitchen because I want more white and more cottage feel.  The bathroom because it's fixtures are in need of repair.

Here is the BEFORE KITCHEN:

Here is the BEFORE LIVINGROOM:

Here is the mockup of what I plan to do.  I really wanted a bank of 3 windows but after having a quote done decided that can wait for a while Smiley  The cabinet doors are going to be painted white, removing 5 cupboards, putting up a beadboard backsplash, crown moulding on the cabinets and some open shelves on either side of the window.

I had a tenant in there for the last 3yrs and they just moved out this past summer.  It took me so so long to clean...in fact I haven't even finished cleaning the ceiling.  The tenant smoked and it was everywhere Sad  One day I got tired of cleaning so I decided to start some demolition.

Then my husband helped me remove the cabinet doors.  Instead of using real beadboard I decided to take a chance on Martha Stewart's beadboard paintable wallpaper, my first time ever attempting the stuff.  It was a breeze and I like the results...it's fooled 3 people so far, lol Smiley  I also wanted to show that even though I scrubbed the place down with TSP, the plastic facing on the edge of the cabinet shelves was stained in almost every case (circled in red below).  It looks kinda gross with bright clean cabinet interiors and this stained yellow strip on the edge of the shelves so I got creative with some dollarstore washi tape in blue gingam and just covered shelf ends in tape Cheesy

The next thing was the crown on the cabinets.  I looked up a few hints and tips on the internet beforehand and it really helped...I would have taken me a few cuts to realize I should cut it upside down and all that jazz.  Once I got started it wasn't too bad and really came together.

I should be sticking to the kitchen to finish but I sorta got obsessed with the wallpaper for a little bit.  I decided that I needed to paper the front entry wall to help tie it all together.  I was at a loss for a while of what to do with this wall because it's covered in permanent wallplates...finally it hit me that the wall needed a picture gallery to disguise those fixtures.  There are two plain slab doors that lead to the bedrooms, I needed to jazz them up so I put more beadboard wallpaper framed with some tiny molding I salvaged from the garage.

I'd like to try to update this as I move through projects Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013 10:51:35 AM »

This will be fun to see the transformation!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013 01:55:42 PM »

I really like your ideas so far. I totally understand not wanting the house to be out of the family, it's nice you get to hold on to your memories.

The open shelving by the windows is going to open the kitchen up so much. The crown molding is such a simple thing but it looks so good. Keep us posted on the updates, you are off to a great start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mutantstar
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013 09:16:26 AM »

Thank you I Sew Cute and lady4feet Smiley  I was really surprised with how much more light the window gave off after I removed the cupboards on either side.  I sometimes wish I could fast forward to the end product but I also love doing all the projects so much and, even more, being able to say that I did it myself Cheesy

Here are some updates Smiley

Here I've gone and made templates from my collection of artwork and I'm arranging my gallery wall.  I never would have thought to try it this way but after finding a tutorial of sorts it took away a lot of guesswork Smiley

I've had time to prime both newly paneled doors but wanted a pic with just one so the comparison would be better.

While I was poking around the garage and boat shed I happened on an old lifesaver and a couple oars...perfect for wall art!  I've gotten the lifesaver up but am still trying to figure out how to best mount the oars. 

I purchased some new dark wooden curtain rods and put up curtains that I recycled from two houses ago.  The curtains are very dear to me because they are the last project I worked on with my mother before she passed.  I love that I can use them here Cheesy 

I also pulled the area rug from my neighbor's garbage last summer, it needed a good cleaning and it is a little small for the space but the color is spot on and I may be able to use it elsewhere Smiley  I'd love to have an oval braided rug in blues&browns but holy $$$$!

Also, call me crazy but I've been doing a lot of decorating while I still have to actually paint the walls and finish cleaning/painting the ceiling but I considered that if I did something I didn't like I could patch any holes and try again without mucking up a new paint job Cheesy

The last little project I want to show for now is my kitchen cabinet feet,  I've just primed all but one of them, which needs a few more cuts, but here is a photo from when I was dry-fitting...I'm very excited to see the end product and what kind of difference they make.  I have not quite figured out if I should paint the actual toe-kick a darker color to simulate a deeper shadow or just leave it white (like the cabinets).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013 11:59:18 AM »

It looks very good, and I love you are shinning up your grandmothers house. I would love to be able to do something like that, there is a lot of history.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mutantstar
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013 03:17:57 PM »

If you notice in the kitchen, the top casing isn't on the window frame, there used to be the top of the cabinets with a light that I removed.  I could have taken off the existing casings and mitred new ones to redo it, but decided to make my own corner blocks and use a butt joint.  To stay with my cutesy cottage theme, I engraved a hedgehog and an owl on some blocks of wood.  Also, because we're on the lake I've decided to use rope to accent the decor.  One of my rope projects is doing monkey fist knots to use as finials on my new curtain rods...all I've done to attach the knots is use a long screw and push the knots onto them.  I was thinking I should secure them better but have to consider how to get the curtains off if I need too.  I also plan to use a smaller diameter rope for smaller accent knots on some tiebacks...still figuring out how to create the tieback hook/attachment.  Other rope projects also in the works: hot-glued rope around a wallplate to hide a wallpaper boo boo; rope around a lamp base and maybe a couple large monkey fists for door stop or recipe book bookends.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013 03:18:52 PM by mutantstar » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013 04:14:40 PM »

I love monkey fists!!! Those look super cool! I love your tie back idea for them, as well. Wallpaper boo boo. Too funny, great idea for a cover up there, too. The lamp idea?...I hope you don't have indoor cats at the cottage!  Grin They will think scratch pad  Cheesy Mine love those, and I am always replacing the rope. Not on lamps, but their usual scratchers.

You have some really unique ideas for these projects. And great that you are doing them yourself. I take great pride in what I can accomplish, for generally over half the cost of someone else doing it. It takes a bit more time, but much more satisfying. Be proud. You have done a great job. Can I come for dinner???  Grin Just kidding.

~T
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013 04:19:34 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
lady4feet
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013 10:53:05 AM »

Ahh your corner blocks are adorable! You did a great job on them. Love that you were able to reuse your old curtains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013 03:33:56 PM »

I'm liking everything you've done so far.  The little finishing touches are making the decorating special.  I really like the little wood carvings, and the monkey knots, they add such appeal to you cottage.  I agree that removing the cabinets from around the window really opens up the kitchen and makes it look more light and airy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014 06:28:13 AM »

Wow, just removing those few cabinets in the kitchen really opened up the room. The cabinet feet are a great touch as well. So far I love your re-design. Keep the pictures coming; you're going to have the most wonderful cabin when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Mr. Krabs
How to Sketch Stewie
How to Draw Homer Simpson
How to Draw a Snake
How to Design a Cartoon Shark
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...