A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for Interest: Craft Companion  (Read 1075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bitter.lizard
« on: November 09, 2013 05:32:44 AM »

Hello community ~

I am looking to see if there would be any interest in a monthly or bi-monthly package that arrived at your door with all the tools, pieces, and parts necessary to put together a DIY craft. It would have any cut pieces, yarn, thread, etc necessary for the project - the materials would already be stamped if needed, etc. You would have to have the scissors or glue, but that's easy. It would provide step by step instructions on how to assemble (with pictures) and a link to the online blog from which I found the project.

All the receiver would have to do is assemble... Then he/she still has a custom-made project that took half the time, and 1/4 the stress. I'm pricing it out, but I'm thinking $39.99/kit.

What do you think? I'd love ANY feedback at all as I'm still figuring out the details.

Thank you!!  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013 08:11:58 AM by bitter.lizard - Reason: I posted someone else's images - so sorry!! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i am not witty enough to have a signature...
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013 02:07:22 PM »

Personally I wouldn't be interested for a number of reasons. Most creative people (imo) would find that too stifling and would prefer the creativity that sourcing their own projects/materials for their projects. Also, the price point is incredibly high, especially compared with other similar services already offered out there. I can't see this appealing to most Craftster users for these reasons.

I do see this appealing to first time crafters and for people maybe doing a craft party, or crafts for a group of children. A box that made a bunch of projects for a group of kids to do might be popular. Or maybe some kind of themed craft, like a box that made wedding decorations or favors, or Valentine party decorations or something.

Also, I think you would need to come up with your own crafts and tutorials, your own original work is what would sell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Chris in VT
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013 04:16:38 PM »

I agree. Also crafters don't want kits. They eliminate the crafting part. And for 40 bucks, it had better be GREAT item! Something that would sell in a shop for $80.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
bitter.lizard
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013 04:11:13 AM »

Hey, thanks for this!

I was thinking more for the new by crafter. Someone who follows the blogs, pins the projects, but who hasn't dived in just yet. The first few projects can be quite overwhelming especially if you have to purchase EVERY material necessary for a project. The price point for buying the raw materials for the newbie crafter is very high. The kit would send the materials needed, therefore bringing the price per project down (you rarely use the quantity purchased for the first project so it can be divided up between two or amongst 3 kits.)

I very much appreciate the feedback - it's given me things to think about. Please feel free to raise other concerns, as it's all part of the process!!

Thanks!!
 Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013 06:58:36 AM »

Have you checked out whimsey box? It sounds like a concept similar to what you are thinking. The price is $15/month.
https://whimseybox.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
bitter.lizard
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013 08:30:23 AM »

Oh, I understand the confusion now. Completely so. Whimseybox is a great website and a cool product for sure, and the $15/month price point is exactly on target for the Felt Cutout Passport Case, absolutely. I was thinking of Zulily as my model. Wherein the price of the raw materials for the project is more than what I am asking for the kit fee.

I would have to work on marketing to get my idea across I think... I'm figuring this up as I go along, of course, but I was thinking the projects I would feature would be things like this (I have not contacted these bloggers yet, and these images and tutorials are not my own):

Solid Perfume: http://www.craftsunleashed.com/jewelry-main/diy-solid-perfume/
Stained Glass Lanterns: http://www.craftsunleashed.com/jewelry-main/diy-solid-perfume/
or maybe an entire kit for Mother's Day gifts: http://apumpkinandaprincess.com/2013/05/homemade-lemon-soap-mothers-day-gift-ideas.html

If I featured smaller projects, there would be more than one in the kit, as the price point is not $15, you are right. The goal would be projects that look expensive, and that are at the price point I'm pitching ($39.99) or higher to buy the raw materials alone.

The concept would be that to buy those materials for one project would be more than you're paying for the kit, but to buy enough for say 10 projects, it would make it easy for me to distribute...

Does that make more sense?

And thank you so much for your comments. They are giving me a lot to think about both in concept and in marketing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013 02:34:28 PM »

So, would you collaborate with these people? Give them the proper credit? Otherwise you might have some seriously ticked off people. Basically would you be the craft supplier but instead of individual pieces, have the whole box ready to go. Again, making sure you got permission for instructions and such is going to be HUGE. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
bitter.lizard
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013 12:55:08 PM »

Yes, I don't plan on passing anything off as my own work. I would of course get permission.

I think maybe this was taken the wrong way - thank you all for your comments. I am not someone who steals from others nor who meant anything negative by any of this.

The goal was to feature someone doing something awesome and to help other people do that as well. The goal was not even to make money from it. It was something fun, but I never thought it would draw these responses so I'll need to rethink.

I hope everyone has a great day.
M.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013 12:57:15 PM by bitter.lizard » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013 12:59:15 PM »

I think it is an interesting idea and I could see it working as featuring the artist and the project then saying something like, "Love this project.....buy this kit with supplies and directions..." It has potential.

I think if you did it this way (or something similar) it might fly and be an awesome way to promote people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
bitter.lizard
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013 05:27:25 PM »

Yes!!

And each month I'd feature a different project and interview a different blogger!!

I just think it would be so much fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013 09:50:12 AM »

You can go into any craft store and find tons of kits, so it's not a matter of "will these kits sell?", but "how do I grab some of those kit-buying customers?". That's always the challenge whether you're selling a kit or a ready-made product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftandThrift

Crafting, thrifting & living the second hand life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013 02:20:42 PM »

I think this is a great idea!  I have a lot of friends who admire things I make, but don't believe me when I say it would be easy for them to do themselves.  I have quite a large and diverse stash of all kinds of crafting equipment and resources, from years of crafting so it's not a big deal for me to have a go at a sewing project for example, because I've already got fabric, buttons, zips, patterns etc in my craft room.  For someone to go out and purchase a pattern, fabric, notions etc would be quite expensive, even for a basic 'beginners' pattern (although this is possibly a bad example as the person would also need a sewing machine...you get the idea though!).

If it all came ready-to-go, just add scissors then that would be a really fun way to allow people to access the world of crafting, whilst simultaneously showcasing a blogger or indie craftsperson.  Kind of like Minerva Blogging Network (http://www.minervacrafts.com/blogger-network), where bloggers make a wishlist of items, craft a piece of clothing from it, then the kit to make the same piece of clothing is made for sale on the website.  It would make fun gifts for crafters as well, I've been bought 'make a skirt' and 'make pants' kits in the past and found them really fun, despite being a relatively established crafter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an Edinburgh vet by day; knitting, sewing, crafting, thrifting superhero by night.

Check out my blog!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Classic Dart
How to Create a Buttonhole
How to Create Pom-Poms
How to Arrange Flowers Like a Pro
How to Make a Beatbox Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...