A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A He-Man Halloween!  (Read 978 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_92_entries , costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sabrinalouisemiller

ATCs are an Obsession.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2013 12:27:21 PM »

So I introduced my two year old to one of my favourite shows from my childhood - He-Man and the Master of the Universe.

Well, she took to it instantly, and the show has so many positive messages that this didn't bother me a bit. However, I did get a bit disturbed when she started getting obsessed with Trapjaw, who is one of Skeletor's bumbling henchmen. I mean, couldn't she have chosen one of the so-called good characters, like Orko or Teela? My husband and I decided that it's nothing to worry about because Trapjaw is funny, and she thinks that he and He-Man are friends, so fine. But she continued to talk of him all of the time ...

This Halloween she was old enough to understand that she got to choose who she wanted to be. (This is the same kid that we dressed up as the Baby Tardishttp://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=394513.0;topicseen#axzz2jQ6nginz two years ago - we've had some fun with her!). She chose Trapjaw, and said that her sister was to be He-Man. Ok, so that's what we'll do!

I drafted all of these patterns myself. The costumes cost under $15 each - I bought the base fabrics and used trims that I had at home from other projects.

Introducing the Masters of the Universe!

Here's He-Man and Trapjaw together:

By the Power of Greyskull - I have the Power!

and here's some in progress photos:
The helmet, jaw and hook were interfaced with a super heavyduty feltThe jaw is held onto the helmet with snaps, so it is removable. This was nice for when she wanted to eat some food at the party we went to, but didn't want to take off the helmet. The hook has a handle to hold in her hand so that if she wanted to use her hand she could just take off the hook.

The blue bodysuit is a shirt and pants, easier to change and put on, and then the bits are all velcroed or snapped on so that if she wanted to take off some and leave other bits on she could. It was also great for letting her dress up in her costume, but then take off the red bionic arm so that she could wear a jacket outside for Trick or Treating.

For He-Man, it was all pretty straightforward. Instead of a shirt and pants I made a onsie and pants, and they fit another layer underneath for warmth. The bracelets, belt, chestpiece and boots were velcroed on, and the furry underpants were elasticised. I have to say that I absolutely loved the grommets on the belt - they really were a nice detail.

and some extra's just for fun!

He-Man disarming Trapjaw

If anyone wanted more info, or pics of the seperate pieces to see how they are put together I'd be happy to share. This site is all about sharing ideas, after all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pottermouth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013 12:28:46 PM »

So awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lady Orizas

knitter & gunslinger

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013 04:47:35 PM »

love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013 04:31:10 AM »

I hit 'this rocks' just for Trapjaws' robotic hook arm alone! You did a really great job & I loved seeing all the behind the scenes pictures. Thank you for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
sabrinalouisemiller

ATCs are an Obsession.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013 11:14:17 AM »

Thanks, I Sew Cute!
I have to say that the robotic arm was the hardest part to design because not only does it have to look pretty cool, it had to be light enough and flexible enough for a two year old. I'm glad that you aprove!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013 02:38:14 PM »

Oh my gosh, that is just too cute! The villains never get the appreciation they deserve Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sabrinalouisemiller

ATCs are an Obsession.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013 07:48:06 AM »

Alexus, you are so right about that! Luckily for us, Amelia has the villains covered - she also is in love with Darth Vader even though she's never seen the movies. Go figure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013 08:31:45 AM »

Thanks for entering!

Voting is now available for this challenge! Smiley  Visit the challenge thread and you'll see the voting poll at the top of the screen! Smiley

Feel free to encourage your friends and family to visit Craftster, and even vote for you, but please remember, only one vote per person.  You must be logged in to vote.

Good luck!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can You Wear White After Labor Day? Yes, and Here’s How
Milla Jovovich Red Carpet Style Recap
1P3W Structured Top
Can You Guess Which Cool Collaboration Olivia Palermo Is Wearing?
Emmy Fashions For Your Budget
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...