A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reproducing a Purse  (Read 26747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Br1na
« on: July 10, 2005 08:56:56 AM »

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/products/ap/NMV4832_ap.jpg

I'd like to try to knit something which looks (similar to) this. It's crochet, so I don't think I would be able to make 'exactly' this, but I plan to try anyway.  here's what I would like to know:

-- for the main part and the top-closing part would I be able to just knit, or is there another stitch which would look better?
-- for the ruffle, just a strip of ribbing, gathered and sewn on, yes?

Its probably a few projects away for me, but I would like to start thinking/planning now.  Any yarn recommendations would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006 11:08:19 PM by krazigal72 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005 09:12:19 AM »

Cute!  It looks knit to me... garter stitch on the body and a rib on the ruffle. You need something thick for the body and a matching color in a thinner yarn for the front...  My LYS carries this wool from New Zealand that comes in super thick and matching thinner yarns.  It's got a white label with a ship on it... (I can't remember the name, I know, so helpful!)  Although you may be able to just triple the yarn for the body, and use one kind of yarn.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ariane
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005 09:22:17 AM »

It IS knit.  I would recomend Rowan Handknit DK...or...Rowan All Seasons for the garter stitch and maybe Rowan Glace for tht 1x1 ribbing.  The yarn pictured looks very similar to the ones I listed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005 09:29:04 AM by ariane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wicked_stitches.typepad.com/wicked_stitches/

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
Quincy134
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005 09:30:27 AM »

What a cute purse.  It is indeed knit.  You could garter stitch a rectangle, then fold it over, with enough left over for your flap.  Then you could fold in the corners of the bottom, to give it a base, and sew them down.  Then you could pick up stitches along the flap (and maybe around the back?  I don't see exactly how the ruffle works there) and work one or two rows st stitch.  Then an eyelet row, then another st stitch row.  Then you could increase every other stich in rib (knit one stich, m1 purlwise, then on the next row you have 1x1 rib).  Then work until the ruffle is the desired length. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Br1na
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005 09:43:51 AM »

Here's
the full bag description (yeah $930 US). I think the ruffle goes all the way around, and I'll definately be giving it a shot the way you suggest, Quincy134!  I might not make it go all the way around, I expect it would just annoy me.

For yarns, I didn't even realize they were different thicknesses (I'm not very observant like that). I'll have to a) locate and b) ask my LYS which lines carry the same colours in different thicknesses (I'm sure there are lots, right? Right.)

Thanks, all  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005 10:04:41 AM »

They might actually NOT be different thicknesses, I think the ribbed bit may just be on smaller needles.  But in any case, Lamb's Pride is easy to come by in at least two, usually three weights.

The construction looks almost exactly like the "Jordy Bag" here at Craftster, only the pieces are knit instead of cut fabric, and there's no bottom seem.  You start from one top edge, knit the length of body you want, bo a few stitches on each side, knit the narrower bit for just less than  double the length of the number of stitches you cast off, cast back ON, the same number of stitches on each end and knit the wide width again to match the first bit.  Next comes the flap. You'll bo stitches at each end for this, maybe 2 more than you did the first time, and knit that for a little way.  It's easy.  Then, you pick up stitches along the flap edges, and along the row where you bound off stitches to MAKE the flap.  Work the ruffle like Quincy suggested.

When you're through knitting, you sew together your two long side seams, and then sew the short bottom seam and youi're through, unless you want to line it.  And you could make a tag.  Use shrinky dink stuff and have it say "feiti" instead of "Fendi" (like counterfeit...)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005 10:08:42 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
subloke
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005 12:11:45 PM »

Cute purse!  I concur about it being knit.  Isn't it funny that the website calls it "crocheted"?  Often crocheted items are listed as "knit" but I've never seen it go the other way around! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Loobylashes

Tis me , yooo hooo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005 12:25:20 PM »

It is knit , and now i am desperatly trying to work out how they have connected the rib , or if its all one piece .

THIS ROCKS   Logged
westcoastchica
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005 03:37:09 PM »

I love how some retailers just can't seem to figure out the difference between knit and crochet. Oh well. Their bad for not doing their homework!

Cute purse, totally could make something similar in a couple hours. In fact, I just might. I'd probably use a DK or maybe worsted weight yarn for the ruffle, and then double it for the body. Also, I noticed that the ruffle is a 1x1 rib which seems to be reduced to stockinette and (I suspect) has a row of eyelets to thread that rather lovely bow through. My guess for copying the ruffle would be to use a provisional cast-on to cast on an odd number of stitches, do about 8 rows of K1P1 rib, then on the next RS row do K2tog all the way (to halve the number of stitches), do 3 rows of stockinette (so purl one row, knit one row, purl one more row). I wish I could get a better look to see how the eyelets were done. I'd probably do *K2, YO, K2tog* to end, then on the next row,  purl across. Two more rows in stockinette, then BO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loobylashes

Tis me , yooo hooo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005 01:09:20 AM »

Its looks as though you cast on seperately for the rib and when you come to the end , you k 2 the cast 2 , then sew to the bag.

I guess the bow is a i cord.

Whos up for a Knit along lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Santa Claus from Rise of The Guardians
How to Draw Zero No Ruizu of Zero No Tsukaima
How to Draw Ultimate Echo Echo from Ben 10
How to Draw a Seal Character from Crossfire
How to Draw Catdog Campers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...