A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool Felted Soap  (Read 961 times)
Tags for this thread: wool_felting_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NaturallyAlternative
Making natural gifts for everyday life

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2013 07:15:36 PM »

First time posting a topic on here... forgive me if I do something wrong. Smiley

I wanted to share my wool felted soaps I make. I may do a tutorial next time I make some. ^_^ These are wet felted onto soap, then the design is dry felted with a needle. It's so fun... pretty therapeutic piercing something over and over with a needle hahaha

I've done a few others but my old computer died and took some photos with it. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013 07:27:42 PM »

Those are amazing! I kept thinking "I like this one best" and then I would see the next one and be blown away again! So great! They are all astounding. I'm highly impressed. I can't stop gushing. Wow! Much more awesome than what I thought they would be just by the subject line of the post. Mmmm... Yeah, the stars are my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013 08:15:44 PM »

Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
yoopidou

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013 09:21:13 PM »

Beautiful soap!
How do they hold up to use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013 03:52:42 AM »

Those are very nice!! Much prettier than other felted soaps I have seen!! =^..^=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Prittens and other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
CraftArtEDU - exception classes from exceptional instructors
http://www.craftartedu.com
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings
http://www.intimateforest.com
stillatthetop
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013 05:25:49 AM »

I wanted to share my wool felted soaps I make. I may do a tutorial next time I make some. ^_^ These are wet felted onto soap, then the design is dry felted with a needle. It's so fun... pretty therapeutic piercing something over and over with a needle hahaha

I've done a few others but my old computer died and took some photos with it. Sad

Wow. Very interesting. I have not seen any of these before. Please do publish a tutorial. I am sure other members will be curious to think about how you created these. Very lovely. And your "over and over with a needle hahaha?" I love ripping out weeds! Therapeutic there, too!  Grin Very lovely job. I hope to see how you did these.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
NaturallyAlternative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013 08:49:06 AM »

Jexx: Thanks Smiley

Yoo: The designs hold up beautifully. The colors do fade some but I'd imagine that's to be expected considering it's being subjected to soap and hot water over and over.

Still: The jist of it; I wet felt the wool on the soap and let it dry. Then I dry felt the wool on the soap (to tighten it up and make sure it doesn't slip/slide). I then pick a design and make a tiny stencil. Using tiny bits of colored wool, I dry felt it with a single needle until it's filled in. It's easy but tedious.

I love it though. I kinda stopped because people weren't really appreciating it as much as the work I put into it. They'd mentioned they didn't really care what design, they were more interested in the type of soap and scent. So I stopped designing them and have kept them solid colors. I will do a custom design if someone wanted it though since I know they'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013 07:35:37 PM by Belladune - Reason: To comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013 02:56:45 PM »

What party poopers!!! I don't even think I would want to use them, just place them in the bath for decoration in an absent {unused} soap dish. And rinse off the dust once and a while.

I agree that the added smell {perfume} factor would be nice. For the potpouri effect.

They are lovely. What is your best source for the wool to felt? Just old sweaters, or do you buy raw wool?

I will have to research this more, because this is a skill I have been wanting to learn! You did a fine job, and are a great inspiration to us all!!!

~T

Reading over this, I realized...I might have over-stepped things for speaking out for other people. However, there are many on here who look at things and don't comment. I wish they would. We are all here to share, I believe. So let me affirm my belief. I THINK you did a fine job, and I am sure that other members agree with me. You have inspired ME. And I will guess that others feel the same. There. Now I am PC with my post.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013 04:41:06 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
NaturallyAlternative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013 05:14:25 PM »

I buy raw wool. I once was given wool from a friends' sheep or Llamas or something (can't recall) but man that was a mess to clean... and I didn't have the proper tools to clean it so... oi, mess. haha. I buy wool from: http://mohairandmore.com/index.php and dye it myself. Smiley I'm sure you could use old sweaters though but it wouldn't produce the same look as mine.

Haha thanks. I rarely see ones done like mine so I guess I'm kinda proud of it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013 06:47:33 PM »

Thank you, stillatthetop, for expressing yourself so well. I agree, this is a sharing community. You didn't overstep anything.

NaturallyAlternative, I've bought some of those same exact fiber sampler packs from a shop on Ebay! Benalba_Farms. It was cheaper than you source, but all they have now is large bumps of roving. HAHAHA! I think that's funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing Dough for Parathas
Rolling Out the Parathas
Adding the Chicken to the Masala
Checking and Tasting the Chicken Curry
How to Make Chicken Curry
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...