A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Metal Dapping/Doming questions  (Read 521 times)
Tags for this thread: metal_doming , dapping  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lidehtium
« on: December 15, 2013 01:10:42 AM »

I've looked through here and haven't found anything yet. If there are any threads on the subject feel free to link them.

What I want to know is if you can dome just part of the metal, aka: if I had a large square and put it over one of the doming areas and started hammering, could I end up with a dome with a flat lip around the side (think like an ice cube tray) or would that just cause the excess metal that doesn't fit in the dome area to pucker?

Also, what kind of metal exactly is it that people use for metal doming, and how does one go about cutting it? It seems people have all these perfect circles and I cannot fathom how.

Thanks for any help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Etsy
YouTube

Looking for a custom stamp, would love to swap!
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013 01:03:19 AM »

I have been using soft, non ferrous metals like brass and copper for stamping, and working with, and use metal shears for it, usually 18-22 gauge.  Unfortunately if you put a large piece of into a dapping block, you may pucker the one side, and may have to go back and flatten it out again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
appledainty
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013 06:36:21 AM »

There are a few ways that you can get perfect circles. One of them is to use a punch, the other is to use a hand saw. I've only ever used a handsaw.

Usually you can create a pattern on tracing paper, then glue the tracing paper pattern to the piece of metal using rubber cement. after that all you have to do is carefully saw your shapes out. People have always commented on my saw piercing that it looks like lazer cutting. If you are careful and cut well most people can't tell the difference.

If you have interior cuts that you need to make, you can use a dremel to make a hole in the area to be cut out. Basically, you leave one end of the saw blade connected to the saw jig, then feed the blade through the hole in the metal and attach the other end to the saw jig. After that you can saw out interior cut out pieces.

Metal does have a tendency to pucker when you're trying to dap a circle in a flat piece of square metal. The metal shifts around in the dapping round, so it's hard to keep your positioning consistent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://appledainty.com - My blog/art/shop site. Cheesy
lidehtium
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013 11:36:26 PM »

Thanks to both of you for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Etsy
YouTube

Looking for a custom stamp, would love to swap!
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AOL Experts - Summer Wine Pairing
30-Minute Real Deal Chili Recipe
How to Make the Ramenritto at Home
Constructed Squash Blossom Tacos
Apple Pancakes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...