So I needed to make DD some Disney princess costumes in which she could climb and run around. I decided to make the bodices of the dresses with little peplums and leggings, instead of full-length dresses. So I needed a basic stretchy-fabric bodice pattern to adapt for the various princesses.
Out came the Ottobre magazines, and I found a T-shirt pattern with slightly gathered sleeves. So I made up a test T-shirt, just to see how it looked.
Whereupon I went "Huh, that's cute", and remembered DD didn't have many summer tops. So I stopped off at the fabric store and got half a metre each of some nice pink and green knits. I was going to make two T-shirts, with swapped-colour sleeves. And then, halfway though cutting out the second one, I decided to make it into a dress.
A few of my more ambitious ideas had to be sacrificed due to a lack of fabric, but here's the finished result.
I didn't quite intend the bodice portion to be so long, but never mind - gives it a Roaring Twenties vibe. DD LOVES it. I think it's the flower.
The best part is, sewing all these T-shirts kept me occupied until my new Ottobre arrived this morning, with a perfect princess bodice pattern inside! Yay for procrastination. I made another T-shirt with the pink and green (double-layered sleeves cut on the fold, a centre-front pleat at the neckline and a little bow with two pearls down the middle for decoration), but the camera's currently not charged. I should really have made the T-shirt first - having fallen in love with the dress, DD will barely look at the T-shirt!