A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's Discuss the Ongoing Pinterest Swap  (Read 2480 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
« on: November 04, 2013 01:37:46 PM »

The Ongoing Pinterest Swap* has been going on for quite some time now. I've been running it for about a year and half myself and I don't know how long it was here before that. It has been really slow lately, though. I'm thinking about taking a hiatus until the beginning of the new year, January 2014. We've discussed this in the Gallery thread and I've had 2 people say they would still join if I did put up a November swap, but I don't know if it's worth it. October we had 9 participants and only 14 claims.

I want to know what the Craftster swapping community at large has to say about the OPS. Does it need to just go away all together for a longer while? Did me taking over it ruin it for some people? I know I'm not on the best of terms with at least 2 people on here. Is there anything I could be doing better? Is there anything I could change about the swap to make it more inviting? Please, don't be shy or afraid to hurt my feelings. I really enjoy this swap and I want others to as well.

*Brief explanation of the OPS: You post a short "bio" about yourself with link to your Pinterest. Others can look at your Pinterest and make you items/ get supplies for you and you do the same for other swapper. More complete details here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Watsonc7
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013 01:54:27 PM »

I would TOTALLY join if it was formatted like the ongoing swaps, where people claim and then are claimed in return.  I really like that format and I feel like it makes people claim more because they will be getting something in return Smiley.

Christy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013 02:53:41 PM »

I like that I can claim from anyone at any time and I don't really mind that it's not always "even". The chain style swaps are also fun, but I join them for different reasons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013 04:39:49 PM »

I'm not involved with the OPS swap, but it does sound fun though! Please don't take it personally, I doubt it has anything to do with you. I think things like this are cyclical in nature and you can't always tell why. It's highly possible it is due to the approaching holidays and people either don't have the time or money to make the commitment at the moment. It's possible that the other ongoing swaps are having similar challenges - maybe swappers are burnt out on ongoing swaps at the moment? I have seen a few complaints that, at times, the only swaps open are the ongoing swaps. Sometimes I'm in the mood for something that has a beginning, a defined period, and a definite end. When I'm in the moods like that, I just can't make big or ongoing commitments. I know from experience, that when I'm feeling like that I shouldn't make any commitments at all!

Or it might have to do with limited resources, financial concerns and other priorities. There's a lot of that going around lately, unfortunately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013 05:20:10 PM »

I have been interested in joining again, but was pushing off the table so as not to get too bogged down with personal crafting and swaps in general.  I would be interested again in the new year in joining a session or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013 07:00:59 PM »

Jexxican, first, I want to say THANK YOU for running the OPS!  I think you do a terrific job of keeping track of everything.  I personally don't have any problems with you.  I think you are honest and to the point if there happens to be an issue with something, perhaps some people are just too sensitive to that?

I had to stop participating in ALL the ongoing swaps because some personal projects came up unexpectedly and I know that I would be overburdening myself if I tried to fit in any claims in any of those swaps.  And it makes me sad, because last year I received a LOT of awesome holiday items from these swaps.

I will definitely return to the ongoing swaps once the new year comes.  I do enjoy a "regular" swap, but I also really like the quick turnaround of the ongoing swaps, and constantly receiving packages in the mail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl (my personal pinterest)
www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)
I'm on instagram:  ladybuggirlcrafts

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013 07:50:22 PM »

I think this swap is a great idea and would be happy to join after New Years. Just too busy before Christmas Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tenitsu

Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013 12:42:02 AM »

I think the OPS was my 3rd ever swap thus far, and I liked it =D
I rather like the way the swap is ran because I have a hard time typing out lists of wants/likes/needs vs just having stuff I liked stuck somewhere for others to troll through.

I'd totally join the Nov one but a lot has come up, both my rear brake lines were rusted out so that was $205 to have to local mechanic replace (ouch right...) my step-fathers visa for immigration was finally approved after 4 years of fighting, and my mama, baby brother, n step-father are hoping to be on a plane as soon as next week to come home (yay!) It just suddenly turned hectic here really fast and I'm still trying to replace that broken dryer of mine.

I know I'll likely definitely join in Jan. And I'm totally cool with you Jexxi, everyone has their days so no need to stress over it =^-^=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
plaidpineapple
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013 09:34:05 AM »

The Pinterest Swap is one of my favorite swaps.  I have not joined because of the upcoming holidays.  I start my gifts very early.  But, I will be joining again in January. I love this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia

Floppsy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013 10:02:18 AM »

I would bet claims have dropped off more because of the time of year rather than anything to do with you Jexxican - I love seeing your name in a swap I am in.

Personally, I like the chain style better than the claim anyone style, otherwise I would be signing up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013 10:13:10 AM »

One of the things that drew me to the OPS in the first place was that it wasn't formatted like the other Ongoing swaps. No chains, no super long lists, just a brief "Hey, here's my link" and go and stalk that way. So while I know some like the chains, this one is an outlet for an ongoing make what you want swap without that. I also agree that it can be a little bothersome when the only swaps are of the Ongoing variety so maybe a break from this one will help with that a little?

I figured the lack of participants lately was because of the holidays. The main thing I've getting from all of your responses is that once the new year rolls over it will be easier for people to get back into swapping.

Verdict:[/b[ The OPS will be on hiatus until January! It will make it a little easier on me, too. Thanks for all of your input, guys. And please, if you still want to discuss it go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013 10:14:48 AM »

I would bet claims have dropped off more because of the time of year rather than anything to do with you Jexxican - I love seeing your name in a swap I am in.
Warm fuzzies! I didn't think it was because of me, but you never know. I know one person who will never be allowed in my swaps again because it sucked trying to communicate with her, but most of everyone on Craftster is really awesome and easy to talk to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013 01:31:38 PM »

Thanks, jexxican!  I'll see you in January!  Enjoy your holidays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)

Tenitsu

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013 03:03:11 PM »

Weee we might haz new dryer (okay well its totally old and used, but if it runs still hooray!)
If it works, that means I can slowly save up for a new one and buy it later rather than try to dump a whole paycheck (or two) into it in one go, which means more monthly funding for swapage-goodnessness!

One of the things that drew me to the OPS in the first place was that it wasn't formatted like the other Ongoing swaps. No chains, no super long lists, just a brief "Hey, here's my link" and go and stalk that way.

I gotta agree with that totally Jexxi.... I'm not really a list maker, its off-putting to me to have to sit down, think of stuff and make a list of it (especialllllly when its things I would like to have either for myself or family) And aside from the free-to-stalk-&-choose-away format of the OPS, I like the fact that I can claim anyone at anytime without having to wait for someone else to claim because the last person on the list has a ton of stuff I cant make xD...perhaps I'm just awkward like that though I guess xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013 06:05:58 PM »

Tenitsu, I agree with you about the benefit of the OPS is that you can choose anyone, at any time.  I love the OWS, but it's a downer having to constantly monitor the lists to see if you can claim the last person on the list.  I also love it that way, b/c you can then also do a bit of "research" to make sure that the item you are claiming is something that is in your ability range.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dessadoll

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013 03:23:55 PM »

I love that you host this swap Jexxican, it wouldnt be the same if it wasnt you!

I agree that its just the time of year.  I WILL join in January when its up again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013 07:13:11 PM »

I enjoyed the other ongoing swaps I've done - but postage outside the UK or Europe just got too hefty to be doing a couple of times a month. With the pinterest swap, I had more freedom to choose who to tag, so I could judge what my finances are like, and so tailor my participation accordingly.
But I had to drop out becasue not many people from those side of the pond joined and so postage was still generally quite expensive. (I guess the same is true in reverse - I didn't get picked too much, because people can't afford to post to me either.) So, feeling like I had to tag a couple of people becasue I'd signed up, the cost just got too much. That's a bit easier to control with normal swaps, becasue I can know for definite how many packages it will be before I sign up.
I know this isn't the most constructive remark, but I just wanted you to know there are other reasons people aren't joining, it's not a personal thing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
jexxican
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013 07:32:39 PM »

Thanks, noodle-bug. Definitely constructive feedback. I know I can't personally afford to send overseas anymore so I totally get that reason. But another thing about the OPS is that you can look and see who else from your side of the pond has signed up and if you want to claim them before you join. Grab a Coffee is from Hungary and she joins a lot. I love that! I have a feeling from the remarks on here that the January swap will be a bit bigger than the last few this year so maybe we will see you again sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013 01:24:14 AM »

I've done that before... I joined at the last minute because I saw someone in Europe I reeeeeally wanted to craft for Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GingerKnitter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013 05:37:18 PM »

Really glad the OPS isn't disappearing! I really enjoyed the July round, but fell off because I got new job and started uni again. Would love to do the January round! When would sign-ups go up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamemom42
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013 07:18:07 PM »

I'm late putting my two cents in but here it is, I love both the OWS and the OPS.  I would hate to see the OPS ever go to a chain format.  The OWS does have those long lists, but to be honest most people go straight to the person's pinterest to decide what to make when they make a claim.  The fact that there is no chain is really the only big difference between the two swaps.  Jexxican, I think you're a terrific organizer.  You are so easy to communicate with, very timely with feedback, and always present in the threads.  I'll be back swapping as soon as I can; maybe even in January when you start back up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013 08:01:58 PM »

Really glad the OPS isn't disappearing! I really enjoyed the July round, but fell off because I got new job and started uni again. Would love to do the January round! When would sign-ups go up?
January the first! Or second, depending on how my NYE goes. Not a drinker or anything, but I am having my friends over and am planning on going a little over the top (for me, totally mellow for some people I'm sure) for the kids and it might drain me enough that I won't get this up until the 2nd. Probably not though. Let's plan on the first. Weeeee!

Thanks for those thoughts, gamemom.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013 08:02:51 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013 04:56:21 AM »

I agree, I would hate a chain format for the OPS too.  I think that because it DOESN'T have that, it makes it stand out from the rest of the ongoing swaps.  I think it also makes more claims happen (except for times of the year with big holidays).

Enjoy your New Year's celebration, jexxican!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tenitsu

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013 01:11:40 AM »

Thats one thing thats offputting for me with the chain-style swaps, I'm a girl of few crafts and to have the last person on the list have a ton of stuff I have no idea how to make, it kind of seems to put things at a standstill for a while =D getting to freely hunt through peoples pintrests and stalk a few people for things I'd love to make that they'd love to have is totally half the fun =D

Kinda like whack-a-mole (for a weird random reference) its fun to smack at them when they pop up randomly, if they all popped up in a predictable straight line it wouldnt be any fun XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest!

jexxican
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014 09:30:24 AM »

We are now open again! The Pinterest Swap is back! WEEEEEEE! Go sign up now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

jexxican
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014 11:37:07 AM »

So there still isn't a whole lot of interest in the OPS, contrary to the feelings I was getting from all of you guys in this thread. How can we pep it up a bit? Any thoughts? What would make you, or others, want to join more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

gamemom42
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014 02:04:40 PM »

I thought January was a great round.  I think a lot are like me and waiting for a spot to open for February's round.  As far as how to get new people to join, I don't know.  I think (unfortunately) that the fact that you aren't guaranteed to be claimed might put some people off but to be honest I love that.  I absolutely love swapping with a group of people who generously make claims not caring if it will all even out in the end.  If that's always going to be a smallish group, it doesn't bother me a bit.  Anyway; that's my two cents. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014 10:29:23 AM »

I'm waiting for a swap slot to open up... And not a craftster slot Tongue I just can't fit in more than one swap at the time with life obligations right now. But I will join either late in february or next round. I love this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Adventure: One Tree Point
Perspective Drawing in Proportion Tip
Painting Adventure in Peach Cove
What to Expect From a Bristle Brush
How to Clean and Wash Paint Brushes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...