A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,118
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oops I did it again..  (Read 2888 times)
Tags for this thread: art_doll , walking_dead , featured_project , the_walking_dead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FabledStitches
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2013 12:05:33 AM »

If anyone has seen the dolls I've made, they would know, straight away, that I am a mad Walking Dead fan. A while ago, I just so happened to meet another amazing (and yes, mad) Walking Dead fan who wanted a Daryl Dixon doll and I was more than happy to oblige -- I mean, getting to stare at pictures of Norman Reedus for -ahem- research, how could I say no? Wink

This is only the second time I've used my poseable plush pattern, and I made some more tweaks (because my brain never lets me leave well enough alone) and I'm super happy with the result.  The new armature has a few limitations but overall holds poses better and provides more stability. He can even look up and down, and tilt his head to the side (a feature which will come in handy when I get around to making that Castiel doll I've had on my To Plush list since forever).

He's a smidgeon over 17inches tall (about 44cm I think). I made his poncho removable with velcro because it wouldn't fit over his over=sized adorably large head. Wink

His crossbow is made of felt and three coats of paint, oh and a pipe-cleaner. I even gave it a little trigger so he can actually put his finger on it.  Cheesy

Of course he has his angel wings, looking a bit dirtier than usual this season. Tongue And that red fabric in his pocket is Carol's headscarf he found in the tombs and never gave back. Wink It was a special request. I couldn't find any good pictures of what the scarf actually looked like; all I could see is that it was red with a lot of white and some brown so I had to wing it.

He is completely self-standing, and even has little poseable fingers which can be used to, ahh, point at things? Wink His red shirt and jeans were painted to be the right colour when my searching for similar coloured fabric proved futile.

And this is the first time I've used my newly acquired embroidery machine to make a doll's face. It was a weird experience, sewing his head, turning it right side out already with a face.  It gives the doll a different feel to the felting I used to use but I really like it. It seems more polished somehow and a lot easier to clean!

His jeans are the most detailed I've made to date, with functioning pockets, belt loops and even those little stud things near the pockets (I don't know what they're called or what they're for, but they're there! Tongue). He also has his knife -which was made from Apoxie Sculpt- in it's (fake)leather holder.

Annndd bonus shot! This was me, after watching tonight's Walking Dead episode..

Looking at him, it strikes me that he's not really dirty enough to have been hanging around in a zombie apocalypse for a few years, so I guess he's been doing his laundry regularly. Wink  ......And I have been rambling, as usual, haven't I? So this is where I shall thank you, lovely viewer, if you clicked on my link and read all my crafty rambles! I do hope you like this little Daryl -- he was almost as fun to make as he is to play with! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014 11:52:35 PM by FabledStitches » THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we have to decide is what to craft with the time that is given to us.

FacebookTumblrInstagramEtsy
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013 12:38:10 AM »

Your dolls are always amazing!
You are very talented.
It is such a pleasure looking at your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linakins

Craft Hoarder

Will work for craft supplies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013 04:09:12 AM »

I love to make dolls, bu none of mine come out anything like this. He is amazing and I'm a tiny bit jealous XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft to preserve my sanity!

If you like my work and would be interested in a personal swap, please contact me!
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013 04:25:35 AM »

You nailed it! He's amazing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013 04:58:48 AM »

Those stud thingies are called rivets, and they are there to add additional support to the pocket, so it does not rip off! Multiple times that your hand goes in and out, and items are placed in there with weight...coins...etc. It helps to stabalize  things.

You made a wonderful creation with this doll. I love the detailing. And the embroidery face is really cute, too! I know what you mean about turning outside in, and already having it stare at you! A bit spookie!

You did a lovely job with this project, and it shows that a lot of time went into it.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
Bobbysgirl
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013 05:43:10 AM »

Wow! This is hands down the best Daryl I have ever seen! I am in awe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013 06:46:03 AM »

Oh wow!!!  This is the best one you e done yet!! You are amazing!  Totally rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013 07:04:04 AM »

Great job! I love the use of the armature. And all the details are such a great touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013 07:23:35 AM »

I don't watch this show, so I'm not familiar with the character.  But this is an amazing doll, and all the details are so well done.  Am I crazy, but I'm just loving those sneakers, so realistic! Forgot to say that I rocked this doll!!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013 07:26:05 AM by SiFi Mom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
yoopidou

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013 05:54:20 PM »

I don't know the show either, but I am in awe, as usual! This one likely is my favorite. It has such charisma.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Neon Fashion Trend Blowing Up
Street Chic: Rock Chicks
Nicole Richie Perfects NYC Cool in Fringe, Fur, and Leather
See How Vanessa Hudgens Does Casual Polish at the DVF Loves Roxy Event
Dukes Of Melrose Fashion Picks For Last "Meal"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...