A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk bellydance costume  (Read 1529 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , bellydance , belly_dance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smeddley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 03, 2013 09:42:57 AM »

Okay, I use the term "steampunk" a little loosely, since the song we danced to was "Just Glue Some Gears on it, and Call it Steampunk", so...  anyway, this is the completed costume:

(Sorry for the silly look on my face, I think this was taken after we danced in the show and I was a little bit fried)

The thing about this costume was the amount of trial and error it took, plus I made a bunch of stuff for the other people in my troupe.

I started off trying to figure out what I was going to do for the skirt, which led to s succession of failures:

There is nothings wrong with these skirts as skirts, but... there was a mix-up in communication, and some color issues, and... while I love the second one it looks a lot more gypsy than steampunk.  But I learned several ways NOT to make what I wanted, so...

This skirt set I liked!  But then I found fabric I LOVED for my vest, and... the browns did not go.  Another girl added a lace skirt between the brown and cream and it looked awesome, she wore it.

And another girl loved the style of skirt #1 (it did look good on her) so I remade it in colors that we agreed on:

Then I altered some pants for another member's costume (took off the waistband, removed the zipper and pockets, took in the legs, re-did the waistband lower, shortened the legs and added the ruffles):

And made a coordinating bustle (sorry, the only picture I could find was one taken during the dance, this was finished at midnight the night before we performed!):

And, I also made several hats for other people:

As for my costume, I made the hat, the lace top, the bra, the necklace, the vest, the skirt, and the bustle.

Here's a close-up of the bra:

First time I'd ever covered a bra and I picked STRIPES.  Brilliant!  But I think it worked out okay.  The beading took a lot longer than I thought it would.

And another picture, closer, of the top bits (argh, I don't like the face in this one, but.. the costume looks good!)

The buckles on the front of the vest were made by sewing lace to pieces of coordinating fabric, then punching holes through them to put the buckles through.  That's really what is holding the vest closed!

Thanks for looking, it was an experience!  I'm working on another costume for our winter dances, it's red and white and I'm dancing to "Candy Cane Jane".  Smiley  I really only do this for the costumes...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013 10:12:31 AM »

I love it!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013 01:35:41 PM »

Awesome! I love the colors you used, and think it has a Steampunk feel, so great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013 07:41:19 AM »

What a lot of costumes, you should be so proud of the results, they all look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013 12:18:39 AM »

AWESOME! The bodice looks great and I love seeing all the progress shots. Also, who doesn't love those ruffle pants? I only see them in tiny children sizes and I'm getting jealous. YOU are making me jealous.

And the tophat! Guh! All so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
blue_lalita
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013 08:57:09 AM »

Gre job! I can't believe how much work you put into all of that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smeddley

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013 09:14:57 AM »

Thank you!  We're a troupe probably more obsessed with costuming (and humor), less so with the actual dancing... that's why we're not a "professional" troupe!

The top hats were pretty easy, it's a paper towel tube, a piece of a cardboard cracker box, a mess of modge-podge, and some stuff glued on with hot glue (my nemesis! But my friend had a low-temp hot glue gun, which is awesome and did not leave me with blisters and missing skin like mine does).  Messy, and it takes some time and fiddling, but totally do-able.  I admit to getting a little addicted to making them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Creative Suite Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set Preferences
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Workspaces, Location Tracking and Slide Shows
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - File Naming Inside the Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...