Okay, I use the term "steampunk" a little loosely, since the song we danced to was "Just Glue Some Gears on it, and Call it Steampunk", so... anyway, this is the completed costume:
(Sorry for the silly look on my face, I think this was taken after we danced in the show and I was a little bit fried)
The thing about this costume was the amount of trial and error it took, plus I made a bunch of stuff for the other people in my troupe.
I started off trying to figure out what I was going to do for the skirt, which led to s succession of failures:
There is nothings wrong with these skirts as skirts, but... there was a mix-up in communication, and some color issues, and... while I love the second one it looks a lot more gypsy than steampunk. But I learned several ways NOT to make what I wanted, so...
This skirt set I liked! But then I found fabric I LOVED for my vest, and... the browns did not go. Another girl added a lace skirt between the brown and cream and it looked awesome, she wore it.
And another girl loved the style of skirt #1 (it did look good on her) so I remade it in colors that we agreed on:
Then I altered some pants for another member's costume (took off the waistband, removed the zipper and pockets, took in the legs, re-did the waistband lower, shortened the legs and added the ruffles):
And made a coordinating bustle (sorry, the only picture I could find was one taken during the dance, this was finished at midnight the night before we performed!):
And, I also made several hats for other people:
As for my costume, I made the hat, the lace top, the bra, the necklace, the vest, the skirt, and the bustle.
Here's a close-up of the bra:
First time I'd ever covered a bra and I picked STRIPES. Brilliant! But I think it worked out okay. The beading took a lot longer than I thought it would.
And another picture, closer, of the top bits (argh, I don't like the face in this one, but.. the costume looks good!)
The buckles on the front of the vest were made by sewing lace to pieces of coordinating fabric, then punching holes through them to put the buckles through. That's really what is holding the vest closed!
Thanks for looking, it was an experience! I'm working on another costume for our winter dances, it's red and white and I'm dancing to "Candy Cane Jane".
I really only do this for the costumes...