A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yes I Can Can Can  (Read 1818 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , circle_skirt , tulle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gingerberrycc
« on: May 13, 2011 09:57:41 AM »

I made these can-can skirts for my sister's dance class. EIGHT of them. She commissioned me since there wasn't enough money in her studio's costume budget.

I started by making a full circle skirt. I tried to convince her to go a little less, but she wanted a full circle, so that's what I gave her. If I were doing the project again, I would probably use only 3/4 of a circle because when you grab it to can-can the middle slumps down due to too much volume.

I used an elastic waistband, since the girls were going to have to pull them off halfway through the dance (yes, they had leotards and a bustle underneath). 

Then I started with the tulle. I cut it into 3 inch strips and just sewed it around the inside of the skirts...and around and around and around...

They came out pretty good. I wish the tulle would have showed up a little better. I did a double layer on the fronts and a single layer on the back to save tulle but still give the colors vibrancy in the front where it would be seen.

I can't wait for her to see them; she's picking them up on Saturday. Recital is next weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bromimeoke
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011 01:50:23 PM »

Super cute! This would even be cute for a shorter skirt to wear to a party, with maybe some tulle peeking out from underneath just near the bottom  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A little bit of punk, a little bit of lace,
Try to take my scissors and I'll put you in your place.
michellebelle
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013 12:55:41 AM »

I'm a costume Nazi and I'm taking a break from my costuming to look at more costuming. (What sort of break is that?)

Anyway, I saw your skirts and I have to say that was a brake undertaking. I'll bet it took you quite a while. They look very nice and I'm sure that the dance was a hit.

Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NulloModo
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013 01:58:08 PM »

I can only imagine how long it must have taken to sew in all that tulle. I would love to make a can can skirt at some point, but I feel that my patience probably wouldn't quite stretch far enough, I'd get bored half way through!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gingerberrycc
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013 07:40:47 AM »

It did take a long time, and I did get frustrated with the waistbands, but ruffling the tulle was actually fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Heart-Shaped Marshmallows
Deserts for Christmas
A Selection of Pies
Gingerbread Deserts
Peppermint Perfection Deserts
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...