A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit 'flapper dress' for my five-year-old  (Read 516 times)
Tags for this thread: knit , flapper , dress , kids_clothing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smokering
« on: November 04, 2013 08:19:18 PM »

So I needed to make DD some Disney princess costumes in which she could climb and run around. I decided to make the bodices of the dresses with little peplums and leggings, instead of full-length dresses. So I needed a basic stretchy-fabric bodice pattern to adapt for the various princesses.

Out came the Ottobre magazines, and I found a T-shirt pattern with slightly gathered sleeves. So I made up a test T-shirt, just to see how it looked.

Whereupon I went "Huh, that's cute", and remembered DD didn't have many summer tops. So I stopped off at the fabric store and got half a metre each of some nice pink and green knits. I was going to make two T-shirts, with swapped-colour sleeves. And then, halfway though cutting out the second one, I decided to make it into a dress.

A few of my more ambitious ideas had to be sacrificed due to a lack of fabric, but here's the finished result.

I didn't quite intend the bodice portion to be so long, but never mind - gives it a Roaring Twenties vibe. DD LOVES it. I think it's the flower.

The best part is, sewing all these T-shirts kept me occupied until my new Ottobre arrived this morning, with a perfect princess bodice pattern inside! Yay for procrastination. I made another T-shirt with the pink and green (double-layered sleeves cut on the fold, a centre-front pleat at the neckline and a little bow with two pearls down the middle for decoration), but the camera's currently not charged. I should really have made the T-shirt first - having fallen in love with the dress, DD will barely look at the T-shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013 08:58:46 AM »

Cute shirt and cute dress. I can see why your daughter loves it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Nail Polish May Prevent Date Rape
18 Pimple Hacks You Need to Try
The Best Face Masks
NYX Curve Liner Review
How to Get an Emmys Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...