A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question on making bath fizzy things  (Read 516 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShandyJo
I was using paracord before it was cool

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2013 06:21:09 AM »

I've been reading a lot of recipes for making bath fizzy bomb things, and most require citric acid. I assume this is what makes it fizz, but I found one with cream of tartar instead. The blogger admits you don't get the same effect, but I was wondering if any one has tried this or has a substitution for the citric acid?

I'm just curious Grin

ETA: Well since no one had an answer, I decided to play mad scientist and try it out. The fizzies worked great! Better than the ones I've purchased at the store. Although the reaction is more subtle than the one you get with the citric acid.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013 04:55:55 AM by ShandyJo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do a lot of crafts from macrame to making my own lip balm.
My Blog~ Suriviving Being Me
Etsy Shop~ Mabel & Nanny's Designs
Krissy.me
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013 06:38:39 AM »

I believe your talking about bath bombs.   I am having a hard time thinking that you had much fizzing action because the citric acid is critical to that part.  The science behind bath bombs working is the fizzing comes from the chemical reaction between the citric acid and the baking soda when water (moisture) is added.   I don't use cream of tarter in my bombs.

I'm thinking what you actually made was more of just baking soda added to the bath water that just dissolved slowly because it was compacted with the other ingredients used.  The little fizzing action that you saw was because cream of tarter may have enough acid in it to react when moisture is added.  Baking soda is a water softener and is a key ingredient in bath salts as well.

I don't use cream of tarter in my bath bombs, but I do use it in solid bubble bath bars.

Anne-Marie as posted lots of recipes and different ideas for bath bombs on her blog the soap queen.  She is owner of the brambleberry company.  I have shopped with them plenty of times.
http://www.soapqueen.com/category/bath-and-body-tutorials/bath-fizzies/

Citric acid can be bought a lot of places because it's commonly used in food making.  I have ordered mine off Amazon the last time I placed an order, but before that I ordered it from http://www.bulkfoods.com/cooking-ingredients/5381-citric-acid.html

Cream of tartar is also a bit more expensive than citric acid.  You may find it cheaper in the long run to buy a 5 pound bag of citric acid instead.
Just as an example a 5 lb bag of citric acid on bulk foods is $16.56
VS a 5 lb bag of cream of tartar is $38.19

Good luck and have fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
ShandyJo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013 10:56:10 AM »

Thanks. Yes I was talking about bath bombs. I'm going to use citric acid in the ones I'm making I was just curious if it would work or not. Actually I'm going to use the cupcake bath bomb tut that's on the tut list. I guess I'm mainly just having fun experimenting with different things. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krissy.me
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013 12:02:37 PM »

That is half the fun, experimenting!   But sadly sometimes there are just tried and true ways of doing things.  But that doesn't mean we can't try new things of course!

My round bath bombs.... Ummmmm we won't go there because they look terrible..... I just don't spend enough time working on mastering the skill.

But I found round flat puck type ones are super simple! 

Here are two pictures to show what I mean.

I used a silicone muffin pan mold to make these....  The silicone is flexible so it makes it easy to remove them.   Once you use fragrance oil in them you don't want to use them for food again.  If you look at thrift stores or often times garage sales you can find lots of silicone bakewear to use for crafting! 

To make them all the same I did use a scale to weigh out the amount of bath bomb mixture so they stayed the same weight.  I used 4 oz or rather 115 grams because I like using grams to weigh things out because it's a bit more accurate.   The bigger the better in my opinion.  When I make them for myself, friends or family I do make them larger.....  Just remember all that goodness is going to be diluted in how many gallons of bath water.....

But I weighed out my mixture to put into the bomb, and I did use nitrile gloves to make these as well.  They are the blue kind like doctors wear.  I buy them in a 100 count box in the first aid section of a store.  But they have 1,001 uses around the home as well.  Seriously!  Even the hubby uses them for his own man cave... (he reloads bullets for hunting) but also when he grills meat... That way he can put meat on the grill without contaminating anything else or having to run in and wash his hands right away.  They are awesome for deep cleaning as well when your scrubbing...

But I put some of the bomb mixture into the mold and then tap it down with with a tool that I have.  But you can use anything that is flat that fits into the mold.  It doesn't have to fit all the way across as you can move it around so you get all the sides tapped down.  The idea is to compact it as much as you can.   The firmer it's compacted the longer it will take to fizz out in the tub.   If you have a chunk of closet rod doweling that is 1.5" to 2" that works like a dream!  My other secret is to use a hammer and yep it's a great stress relieving tool.... tap the top of the tool down with your hammer to compact them as much as you can.   

I let them sit in the mold overnight, but.... in a pinch I throw the mold in the oven on a cookie sheet lined with foil on the lowest setting for about 15-20 minutes.  That helps to dry them out. 

I know your just making for yourself and maybe some gifts so I want to share another source for fragrances.   I buy a couple from this company as they really are just a small mom and pop type business.   I need to get an order placed tonight for sandalwood and a few others or I'm going to be in trouble! 

This is the page to the descriptions of their scents.
http://www.thecandlesource.com/id1.html

Their site is a tad confusing because you add your shipping into your cart based on your order.  To find the shipping page, go to online catalog and click shipping options.
 It's not in order by price so scroll down to find the one you want.

You can get Four 1 oz bottles for $3.99 shipping
For $6.05 shipping you can get...
Up To 30 - 1 Oz. Bottles
Up To 8 - 4 Oz. Bottles
Up To 4 - 8 Oz. Bottles
I have gotten a mix of 8, 4 oz and 1 oz bottles with this option as I like to sample some of their scents.   I just email them to ask them what's okay to ship for that option.

The part I dislike about this site is finding the scents in the size you want.  It's not very user friendly as they have all the sizes on different pages and each scent for every size.....  It's a bit of a pain, but the prices are worth it.   They do have some really nice scents and their prices just can't be beat.   

So I thought since you are just making for yourself and family you might enjoy the price break as fragrances can be expensive especially if your ordering less than a pound.   I hate to admit that I have a LOT of 1 or 2 oz bottles from various suppliers that I buy from.... and I mean a lot, maybe around 100 or more... And add on another 100 or so that I bought larger bottles of but not all those scents are part of my regular inventory as I don't want to overwhelm my customers.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
ShandyJo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013 04:27:35 PM »

Thanks! I've been using a plastic Easter egg as a mold, it's actually works really well and is a good size. I wish I'd seen your post earlier I just put in an order with Appalachian Valley Natural products. I got a bunch of sample sizes as well as a couple 20ml bottles for around $13 with shipping. I figured I could try different scents this way. They were on the supplier list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014 07:45:30 PM »

You should try making bubble bars. They are so much easier.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Go Playful with Tropical Eyes and a Rosy Lip
Find Out What Rebecca Black Keeps in Her Beauty Bag
How to Get a Hello Kitty-Inspired Makeup Look
How to Get a Clear Pore-Free Complexion
Try Salon Gel Manicures At Home
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...