A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,800
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue jean rag/boston commons quilt  (Read 563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnicodemus
« on: November 02, 2013 05:15:45 AM »

I'm making my first blue jean rag quilt and I want to do a boston commons pattern on the flannel side.  Originally my thought was to do the rag fringe on the blue jean side, but I'm wondering if I could/should do it on the patterned side so that it will all be seen at the same time rather than being reversible.  Does that make sense?

Any way - my question is: has anyone done a rag quilt before where the rag fringe is not on the blue jean side?
Also, do the blocks have to be sewn in a row or can I sew them into blocks of 4?

Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013 07:41:45 PM »

Ive never made a blue jean rag quilt but ive seen lots where the layers were (bottom up)  blue jean then batting then cotton/flannel. So yes, by all means you can rag the not denim side. A quick google image search shows lots of folks doing just that, probly makes for an awesome picnic quilt.  (No, no slothy... No more planning, you are far. Tooo busy)

And its your quilt. Sew em into four patch blocks or rows, eventually it all looks the same. Smiley

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014 08:57:37 AM »

The nice thing about a rag quilt is you can make it any which way you want! It's up to you where you want the "rag fringe" to show up.

My only recommendation is to skip the batting layer! If you're making a denim/flannel rag quilt it is completely unnecessary. I made one a couple years ago out of old jeans and flannel pjs, no batting and it is WARM!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnicodemus
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014 06:09:18 AM »

Thanks for the advice - I went with the craftster motto: Meh, just start cutting.  Then I spent the next 6 weeks stressing about everything from shrinking flannel to over snipping and everything in between.  I swear I'm not usually such a worry-wart, but I'm putting this in a silent auction and I don't want it to fall apart after someone spends money on it.  Anyway it's done!  Here's a link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430687.0#axzz2puQTPrPT
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Art Smock
How to Make a Cigar Box Pocketbook
How to Create Shadow Puppets
How to Create a Portable Play Sack
How to Construct a Growth Chart for Children
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...