A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cascade Ruffle Panel?  (Read 572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knsnoopy123
« on: November 01, 2013 10:03:42 PM »

Hello, I'm a fairly novice seamstress and this is my first thread here, and I'm in the process of making a full length dress from red and gold organza.
 I've made a 'fishtail circle skirt' overlay, i.e. a plain ol' circle skirt with non-centered waist, worn sidewaysish so that the short side is inline with one hip, and the longest side inline with the other
( I'm hoping my picture-less description makes sense, making up my own jargon as i go along. Undecided)
ANYWAY i plan on having another circle skirt underneath, but want to adapt it to have some kind of panel of cascade ruffles peeking through the asymmetrical overlay. The cascades i've seen seem to be either inbuilt in the pattern in a rather complicated manner (too hard for my poor drafting skills) OR sewn on afterward (i'm guessing the latter would be easier, so i'm leaning toward that). I've seen plenty of ruffles in this technique on toddler skirts, but i'm wondering how i would go about making large scale ones, and how i would add them so that they, well, "cascade" rather than look like random swirly bits I've sewn on in any which manner! Cheesy

thankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

General Multi-Crafter, aspiring young costume designer, bit of fandom thrown in too! Smiley
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013 10:13:37 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what kind of look you're going for, but have you considered using a panel of ruffle fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
knsnoopy123
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013 05:24:12 PM »

Sadly I've already purchased my fabric, or that would be a good alternative. Thanks for your help, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

General Multi-Crafter, aspiring young costume designer, bit of fandom thrown in too! Smiley
AlenaSelene
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013 07:08:35 AM »

Arrange the ruffles in rows that slightly overlap. Or instead of ruffles, use circular flounces. Either way the keys to a cascade effect are attaching the ruffles or flounces in a straight line, and close enough together to overlap, the edge of the upper ruffle covers the top of the lower ruffle.

To make a circular flounce, cut a large donut shape. Slice the donut open. Attach the inside edge of the donut to the fabric, the outside edge will flare out nicely. To make a longer flounce, sew several donuts together in a long strip. Arrange them so that the inside edges line up to make one long edge of the strip, and the other long edge of the strip is made of the outside edges of the donuts. The donuts are sewn together along the edge you made when  you sliced them open. Hope that makes sense.

The easiest way to a cascade effect is to arrange the ruffles or flounces in ordinary horizontal rows. But, you can get really creative and attach flounces in vertical lines, or arrange the rows on a diagonal
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shrimp on Sweet Rice
Shrimp, with Green Chives, Bamboo Shoots, and Wood Ear Mushrooms
Salmon with Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
Salmon with Creamy Teriyaki Sauce
How to Make Oriental Shrimp Soup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...