A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Perfect Pear cake  (Read 1121 times)
Tags for this thread: cake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

P_E_S_T
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 01, 2013 08:22:47 AM »

I have recently been helping a friend out working out some new recipes for her café. This is my version of a pear cake, and believe me - you will fall in love with it.
It has the deep flavours of late blooming roses and autumnal pears mixed in amongst the girly heaven of chocolate.
Enjoy ...

Ingredients.
Pears (poaching ingredients)
2 large pears (This does not work with tinned pears, leave this recipe for autumn when fresh pears are at there best)
Water to cover
100g sugar
2 vanilla pods halved
Rose extract

Cake Batter
200g butter (softened)
100g caster sugar
100g soft brown sugar
4 eggs
200g sieved self raising flour
Chocolate extract

Cake drizzle
Icing sugar
Water
Chocolate extract (this is a liquid that you should be able to find in good cookery shops)

Turn on Oven to a good medium heat. 160 - 180

Poaching pears
Peel your pears but leave the caps and tails on.
Place in a pan with water to cover, add sugar, vanilla pods and 1/2 teaspoon of Rose extract.
Bring to the boil then let simmer for up to 20 minutes. You want your pears soft but not falling apart - texture should be that of a soft boiled potato.

Cake batter
Whilst the pears are simmering, take your butter and sugars and mix well, I always prefer a good electric beater for this bit.
Add the eggs one at a time, fully blending each one into the batter. If it curdles add a teaspoon of flour and continue.
When all eggs are in, add 2 teaspoons of chocolate extract 
Remove the beaters from your existence !!!! This is a must - please never use an electric blender when mixing in flour for a cake, you will take the rise out of it.
Take your flour and sieve it all into the bowl. Using a metal spoon or a cake spatula, fold the flour in gently until it is all blended.
Pour the cake batter into a good sized loaf tin (I love using the silicone ones but if you use a metal one you will need to line it)

Take your pears out of the pan, and lay onto a chopping board to cool a little.
Slice each one in half and then using a spoon, core out the hard centre. Chop off the head and tail.
Push the pears into the cake batter like so. (I use the 4th half by chopping it in half and pushing the bottom into one end and the top into the other)

Now into the oven with you Wink

THis cake will take a good 40 minutes to cook as the moistness from the pears allows it to cook slightly slower than an ordinary sponge. To avoid it burning, about two 3rds of the way through when the top has risen and you have a good crust, take a piece of baking paper - run it under the tap, then place it over the crust - then back in the oven.

Use a prick test to tell when your cake is ready.

Leave in the tin to cool

As it is cooling, make a runny icing sugar / water syrup adding half teaspoon of chocolate extract. Pour this over the cake as it cools for a nice crust to your cake.

After 20 minutes you should be able to remove it without breaking the cake. Serve warm or cold and fall in love x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013 11:21:31 AM »

That looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013 02:05:43 PM »

ohmygosh yum.  I wonder if I can find such ingredients in the boonies?  I've got a big basket of pears that need to be eaten or baked with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

P_E_S_T

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013 02:13:09 PM »

What's the boonies ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013 03:28:52 PM »

Boonies, also called Boon Docks. It is out in "the sticks", the woods, out in rural areas, where it takes forever to get to where you need to be. Like the "Outback", just here in America it is not called that. We are rednecks, and hillbillies, and we live off the land and with nature a lot. And hunt, and fish, and provide off the land. For good food and veggies! And we use canning jars...for this time of year...to have and to hold. And enjoy food later. And share! I hope everyone has a wonderful Winter Fest Holiday! Food is a great part!

Your pear cake sounds really yummy. I just got in fresh apples. McIntosh...Guess who is changing up your recipe?Huh Grin
Oh, and not chocolate, either....Peanut Butter!!!!  Grin
Trust me, it will work!
Great starting ground receipe, though! Thanks!!! I am pretty good with these types of breads.
Oh, and I have teflon pans that I bake these in. Meatloaf size. I only paper (parchment) the bottom, though. And raise the rack to the higher "Center". I have a pretty good oven.

Thanks for sharing! ~T

Edit:  Roll Eyes Left out part of the Boondock story... Undecided When you take a truck off road into the wilderness, you are Boon Docking. That is the origin of the name. Just to clarify. I am glad you are curious. PM me, and we can talk about your neck of the woods, too!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013 03:46:16 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013 03:29:43 PM »

WOW, deliciousness!  I'll be right over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013 04:10:11 PM »

Boonies, also called Boon Docks. It is out in "the sticks", the woods, out in rural areas, where it takes forever to get to where you need to be.

Yep, That.  That's the boonies for us. 

Sweets, pack me in your bag!!  I won't fit in carry on, but you could put me in as cargo Wink

I'll be heading into the "city" tomorrow, and the "big city" next weekend. I'm going to search for rose extract and chocolate extract.  And if that fails, I'll find it online and save this recipe for next year Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dork Diaries Book Trailer
Jessica Bendinger Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Meet Author Ellen Hopkins
Roxanne St. Claire Reveals
The Power Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...