A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How To Make Thermal Shirt?  (Read 458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Joujoudoll
« on: October 31, 2013 05:32:53 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm learning how to sew, and something I've wanted to make for a long time is a long sleeve thermal shirt.

About 8 years ago, I bought two thermal shirts from a company called Delia's. It's a website for teens, or young adults to buy clothes. So, these thermal shirts are fairly light weight, but still keep me rather warm, and if I get cold, I like to layer them. The thing is, Delia's still sells them, but they are super expensive. Back when I bought them 8 years ago, they were expensive coming in at $20 each, but I got in on a sale that made them $10 each. I don't know exactly how much they are now, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were more like $30 each now.

So, my question is, can I make something like this myself? The material is 50% cotton, and 50% polyester. However, as you will see in the photos, the cuff of the thermal shirt is made of a different fabric, and each cuff also has a hole for your thumb. The neck line is also the same material as the cuff. I don't know much about sewing, and buying fabric, so I don't even know if you could buy a knit fabric that is the same exact colour as the thermal fabric. Also, I took a photo of the hem of the bottom of the shirt, or rather lack there of. The bottom was just re-enforced with a zig zag stitch on a serger machine. Oh, that reminds me. I also don't have a serger. I have just a regular brothers sewing machine. I'm willing to sacrifice the look a little, because I don't have the money to go buy a serger. I wish I had the money for one, but I'm fortunate to even have a sewing machine. It was gifted to me brand new, and I feel very blessed to have it. I don't really care if I don't get the exact look of a serger.

Any help I can get, I would appreciate very much. I want to not only save money, but also have the satisfaction that I made something my self. Thank you all very much in advance!

-Joujou

P.S. For some reason my photos look a little blurry on this site. I uploaded them to the gallery, and when I looked at them they all had a slight blurry look to them.. The original photos don't look like that, as they are more clear, so I apologise for the slightly blurry photos. Oh, and If you're wondering, the print of this thermal are little pigs with kawaii little swirly tails, with flowers, and hearts.. I love it! My solid print thermal that is exactly the same, but without a print is a lavender purple colour, and these two look great layered. I specifically chose these colours to match each other in case I wanted to layer them. I'm actually wearing the lavender coloured one right now. I wanted a solid thermal, so if I do layer, there wouldn't be two print patterns clashing, and also in case I wanted to wear a short sleeve shirt over the thermal that has it's own pattern. This print thermal also looks great with a plain solid short sleeve shirt too though. ^^

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013 05:35:51 PM by Joujoudoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog!

Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.
knsnoopy123
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013 10:51:37 PM »

hi! I'm not much more experienced myself, but as for the hem, i'd say you may need to go for a slightly different type than on your original shirt if you haven't got a serger.
Most brother machines have multiple stitch-styles so it should have a simple zig zag that you can finish the raw edges with. That alone won't hold it as well or as professionally as a hem finished by serger, but if you just double over the zig-zagged edge and sew a simple straight line hem that would do just fine! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

General Multi-Crafter, aspiring young costume designer, bit of fandom thrown in too! Smiley
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013 05:56:57 AM »

The main fabric is called a waffle knit (or thermal knit), and the sleeve cuffs and neckband are a regular knit. Here's a couple sources for you, in case your local fabric shop doesn't have much:

Fabric.com
Fabric Fairy
eBay

I've always like BurdaStyle's Lydia as a base pattern (but you can use any old knit t-shirt pattern, such as one from KwikSew), but you'd need to modify it a little to bring the neckline higher in the front, and also watch this Threads vid for applying a neckband. The thumb holes are beyond me, as I've never done them. Hopefully someone while chime in on how to do them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Refine Edge Command in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Pen Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Lasso Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...