A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How To Make Thermal Shirt?  (Read 460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Joujoudoll
« on: October 31, 2013 05:32:53 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm learning how to sew, and something I've wanted to make for a long time is a long sleeve thermal shirt.

About 8 years ago, I bought two thermal shirts from a company called Delia's. It's a website for teens, or young adults to buy clothes. So, these thermal shirts are fairly light weight, but still keep me rather warm, and if I get cold, I like to layer them. The thing is, Delia's still sells them, but they are super expensive. Back when I bought them 8 years ago, they were expensive coming in at $20 each, but I got in on a sale that made them $10 each. I don't know exactly how much they are now, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were more like $30 each now.

So, my question is, can I make something like this myself? The material is 50% cotton, and 50% polyester. However, as you will see in the photos, the cuff of the thermal shirt is made of a different fabric, and each cuff also has a hole for your thumb. The neck line is also the same material as the cuff. I don't know much about sewing, and buying fabric, so I don't even know if you could buy a knit fabric that is the same exact colour as the thermal fabric. Also, I took a photo of the hem of the bottom of the shirt, or rather lack there of. The bottom was just re-enforced with a zig zag stitch on a serger machine. Oh, that reminds me. I also don't have a serger. I have just a regular brothers sewing machine. I'm willing to sacrifice the look a little, because I don't have the money to go buy a serger. I wish I had the money for one, but I'm fortunate to even have a sewing machine. It was gifted to me brand new, and I feel very blessed to have it. I don't really care if I don't get the exact look of a serger.

Any help I can get, I would appreciate very much. I want to not only save money, but also have the satisfaction that I made something my self. Thank you all very much in advance!

-Joujou

P.S. For some reason my photos look a little blurry on this site. I uploaded them to the gallery, and when I looked at them they all had a slight blurry look to them.. The original photos don't look like that, as they are more clear, so I apologise for the slightly blurry photos. Oh, and If you're wondering, the print of this thermal are little pigs with kawaii little swirly tails, with flowers, and hearts.. I love it! My solid print thermal that is exactly the same, but without a print is a lavender purple colour, and these two look great layered. I specifically chose these colours to match each other in case I wanted to layer them. I'm actually wearing the lavender coloured one right now. I wanted a solid thermal, so if I do layer, there wouldn't be two print patterns clashing, and also in case I wanted to wear a short sleeve shirt over the thermal that has it's own pattern. This print thermal also looks great with a plain solid short sleeve shirt too though. ^^

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013 05:35:51 PM by Joujoudoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog!

Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.
knsnoopy123
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013 10:51:37 PM »

hi! I'm not much more experienced myself, but as for the hem, i'd say you may need to go for a slightly different type than on your original shirt if you haven't got a serger.
Most brother machines have multiple stitch-styles so it should have a simple zig zag that you can finish the raw edges with. That alone won't hold it as well or as professionally as a hem finished by serger, but if you just double over the zig-zagged edge and sew a simple straight line hem that would do just fine! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

General Multi-Crafter, aspiring young costume designer, bit of fandom thrown in too! Smiley
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013 05:56:57 AM »

The main fabric is called a waffle knit (or thermal knit), and the sleeve cuffs and neckband are a regular knit. Here's a couple sources for you, in case your local fabric shop doesn't have much:

Fabric.com
Fabric Fairy
eBay

I've always like BurdaStyle's Lydia as a base pattern (but you can use any old knit t-shirt pattern, such as one from KwikSew), but you'd need to modify it a little to bring the neckline higher in the front, and also watch this Threads vid for applying a neckband. The thumb holes are beyond me, as I've never done them. Hopefully someone while chime in on how to do them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Mac Boot Animation - Motion 3
How to Use Rotoscoping - Motion 3
Comparison Between Color Corrector and Color Corrector 3-Way
How to Use Aperture 2.0
How to Make Custom Effects - LiveType
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...