A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: K3P3 top-down ribbed beanie - PATTERN INCLUDED  (Read 2821 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , hat , beanie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« on: October 27, 2013 07:09:56 AM »

My handsome husband modelling the scarf and hat set I knit. The scarf was featured earlier this year, in March (I started knitting it last October!) but now that cold weather is coming around again, I decided to knit a matching hat!

One problem though: I couldn't find a good matching pattern. The scarf was knitted using a k3p3 pattern, and I couldn't find any k3p3-hats. I like a more chunky rib, so instead of using a k1p1 or k2p2 or k3p1 pattern, I designed my own k3p3 top-down beanie pattern. Sharing is caring, so here's the pattern:

Abbreviations used:
st: stitches
kfb: knit a stitch in the front and in the back of the same loop
pfb: purl a stitch in the front and in the back of the same loop
kfpb: knit a stitch in the front of the loop, and purl in the back of the same loop
pfkb: purl a stitch in the front of the loop, and knit in the back of the same loop
r: round

Foundation:
cast on 6 st
r1: (k1p1)*3
r2: (kfb pfb)*3 12st
r3: (k2p2)*3
r4: (k1kfb p1pfb)*3 18st
r5: (k3p3)*3

You now have three "ribs" on your hat. Starting round 6, you will start adding new ribs to the hat with the following six round pattern of increases:

Increasing pattern:
ry    : (k3 pfb k1 pfb [k3p3]*x)*3
ry+1: (k3 p2 k1 p2 [k3p3]*x)*3
ry+2: (k3 pfkb k1 kfpb [k3p3]*x)*3
ry+3: (k3 p2 k3 p2 [k3p3]*x)*3
ry+4: (k3 p1 pfb k3 p1 pfb [k3p3]*x)*3
ry+5: k3p3 all round

For round 6-11, x=0; 12-17, x = 1; 18-23, x=2; etc. Once your hat is sufficiently wide, just keep knitting k3p3 all around until you've reached the desired length. Use Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind-off, or, if you want a fold-up brim, add several rows of p3k3 for a more aesthetic effect.

It doesn't really matter what yarn you use or which size needles. I used acrylic yarn on 5mm circular needles (magic loop), and stopped increasing when I had a total of 15 ribs (90 stitches). I wouldn't go up a lot more in needle size, as I think you'll have very few ribs then, but that's all up to you to decide! You could knit a swatch in a k3p3 repeat pattern to calculate your stitches/inch, subtract an inch or two, maybe three of the circumference of the head you're knitting for, multiply that measurement with your gauge and choose the nearest multiple of 18, or you could just eyeball it.

Simplified example of the math:

Gauge= 5st/inch
Head circumference = 22 inches

(22 - 2 inches) * 5 st / inch = 100 st
Since 100 is not a multiple of 18, this number of stitches wouldn't give us the nice ribbed pattern. So look at the closest multiples of 18: 90 st or 108 st. If the hat were 90st, it would be 18" in circumference, where 108 st would translate to 21.6". I find that this ribbed hat is extremely stretchy, so I'd personally go with the smaller measurement, but let your swatch be your guide on stretchiness when deciding what number of stitches you pick. Or again, you can eyeball it, I did and it worked out fine!

Tip: I think this pattern is easiest to follow on double pointed needles, with three needles carrying the same number of stitches, and a forth "working needle". Do your increases after the first k3 of each needle. Alternatively, when working using the magic loop technique you can use 3 stitch markers to help you keep track of where to do your increases. In round 5, place a stitch marker after each k3. If you're skilled at reading your knitting, you don't really need these, but I found that they help a lot (especially since I like to knit in front of the TV!).

Because I didn't do any math in advance, I didn't know how many rounds I'd need for the desired length and I ended up with the black stripe slightly higher than I would have liked it, but not high enough that I could add a second black stripe. Still, I think it works really nice with the scarf, so I'm not complaining!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013 07:31:36 AM »

That is really a nice set and it looks good on your handsome hubby  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
Naantje
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013 07:40:25 AM »

I still need a recipient for the set though, as my husband won't wear it. He thinks the scarf is too short ... It's 5'2", he feels scarves should be at least 7' and ideally around 7'10" long, so he can wrap them around his neck twice. It will probably go to one of my brothers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
yoopidou

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013 12:36:02 PM »

Too bad for your husband if he can not enjoy it. Give it to someone who will appreciate it. I find it looks great, especially for a man.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013 06:48:57 AM »

Fantastic job!  I also like the chunkier ribbed hats...they seem to work well in even the coldest weather!

So nice to find a good looking set for a man...the colors and the style are well suited to this handsome hunk! Grin

I do understand, though, about the length...my husband is also one who likes a long scarf to wrap double so he can put his face in the scarf when the wind blows...

I am sure your brother will enjoy it while you knit a new set for the picky husband! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Random Little Things in Lightroom That Throw People Off
Everything You Wanted to Know About Photoshop Guides
Lightroom Tutorials: The Key Difference Between Cloning and Healing
Lightroom Tutorials: Editing a Beach Photo
Photoshop Tutorials: Stitching and Cleaning Up Panoramas
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...